Quantcast

Beech Mountain Trail Days - Build a Giant Super D

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Boone, NC -> Cleveland, Oh
Come help grow the Beech Mountain Adventure Trail Park!

We are building a long, flowing Super-D trail down the back side of the mountain, and FINALLY creating a ridable climb from the West Bowl back to the summit.

Its the best place around to ride mid-summer, when temperatures up there are nice and cool.

There will be three trail days this spring, and if we get a good turnout, we could have TWENTY MILES OF SIGNED SINGLE TRACK THIS SUMMER! Think Wilson's Light (and legal)

So mark your calendar, grab some gloves (and you bike) and come on up.

Saturday, March 26
Saturday, April 9
Sunday, May 8

More details as we get closer. If you want to learn more, or have time to come help out mid-week, post up.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I will do my best to try to make it up for a build day or 2. I can think of 2 or 3 other guys from Greenville that would come help too. Good to hear Beech is still pushing for a riding area!!!!:thumb:

Cecil

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Quick clarification: the trails I'm talking about are in the West Bowl and are controlled by the Town of Beech. None of this is affiliated with Ski Beech and the DH stuff they are working on. So, no lift access, but shuttling will be pretty easy. Next week we are flagging the long-awaited trail you will actually be able to ride back up, not that all you guys are into that sort of thing...

subycar

Chimp
Dec 31, 2009
For us Charlotte guys would there possibly be a free place to crash for the night after building some trail?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Yo Stackhouse, how far down is the Super D gonna go? And does it go off of the existing XC trail? If it goes all the way down to Eagles Nest I bet it could be pretty damn large.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Based on the conversation we had yesterday, its will come off the existing XC trail near above the Boneyard, use the new trail to get around the worst section of the power line, drop in on the existing "super-d trail" which we will need to berm up, then tie into Erich's stuff where it crosses West Bowl and go all the way down to Buckeye Creek Rd so you can shuttle it.

Rory, Dan and I are meeting at Beech Town Hall at 9:15 tomorrow to flag it and the 3 mile extension if you can make it - someone with your experience would be pretty helpful

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Rosenbusch and I are probably down Andrew.
We'll be back out Monday morning with the Town of Beech guys to clean up the existing trail and inventory places that need improvement.

I rode the old super-D trail into some of Rosenbusch's stuff down to Chestnut Falls - I saw another line to the West of New Branch Creek that I need to map. Once we get his stuff better tied into the trails above the power lines, and then extend it down to Buckeye Creek through Eagles Nest its going to be epic.

Here is a map, which include my ride to the top via Grassy Gap Creek trail.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/305888

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
We'll be back out Monday morning with the Town of Beech guys to clean up the existing trail and inventory places that need improvement.

I rode the old super-D trail into some of Rosenbusch's stuff down to Chestnut Falls - I saw another line to the West of New Branch Creek that I need to map. Once we get his stuff better tied into the trails above the power lines, and then extend it down to Buckeye Creek through Eagles Nest its going to be epic.

Here is a map, which include my ride to the top via Grassy Gap Creek trail.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/305888
Great information & Good Work!

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Thanks! We got snowed out yesterday (thus frustrating DJ Trill Will's efforts to get out there and scope things out) but it looks like we will be out with Town of Beech and possibly a crew from the Golf Club (their boss is both generous and loves riding) most Thursday mornings going forward.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I think I might come out for this. Was going to try and ride some but apparently folks who want to show me some of the local trails all at once have to run to Wal-mart because tampons are buy one get one free.:D If you pm the address to me I'll be there tomorrow.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
The terrain you have to work w/ is awesome. Even better is the fact you have the green light to do great things in all genres of riding. Its gonna bring a lot of folks that way.

stackout

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
We are back at it building out trail this Saturday, so come on up. I got in two laps in either direction on the existing Emerald Outback loop Sunday afternoon, and despite the snow above 5100 feet and the whole place being soaked, it rode great (albeit at 5mph). Post up if you can make it so we can get a rough headcount and plan accordingly.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
was goin to try and get to wr this weekend but my bike is out of commission due to a run-a-way boulder that jump in front of me on old windmill at wr and destroyed my chainguide.
gonna try to get to beech if I can get my youngest taken care of.