Quantcast

Beech Mountain volunteer workday - Sunday, May 20th

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Hey everyone, I'm sure you are all loosing sleep at night wondering what is happening at Beech Mountain these days. :) Just talking to Chris and we're having a small volunteer trail workday on Sunday May 20th to get the Am track all dialed in for the first race of the year. As you all know, both tracks took a good beating at the national champs, but that's ok because that actually helps bed in the trails faster than anything. Now we just need to run through the Am track and buff everything out again. There should be lots of ruts to clean up, berms to reface, roots to clip, etc.

Sunday May 20th, from 10am until we finish!

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
There's another thread about this, but so far Beech has decided to open for a few weekends to host races.

16-17 Jun
18-19 Aug
15-16 Sept

Back on topic: I'd be out there to help, but I gotta go visit my parents that weekend, my father has his birthday.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Cue "do we get to ride it afterwards???" :rolleyes:
This is just a suggestion (lord knows how everybody hates my opinion). If there is volunteer work you need, I'd encourage the request to come with some sort of incentive for the diggers. People used to always post a need for volunteers to dig with the reward being free entry fee to the next event.

That's how so many DH's used to get built. Might cost you 5-10 entry fees, but it worked.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
This is just a suggestion (lord knows how everybody hates my opinion). If there is volunteer work you need, I'd encourage the request to come with some sort of incentive for the diggers. People used to always post a need for volunteers to dig with the reward being free entry fee to the next event.

That's how so many DH's used to get built. Might cost you 5-10 entry fees, but it worked.
That was done last year for the volunteers, they just did not advertise it. Had my name on a list when I showed up to the qualifier. :thumb: Done proper.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Can the pizza parlor be talked into donating beer and pizza to the volunteers post work? :drool:
Skip the pizza and go straight for the Italian beef and the tater hash at Fast Eddies hot dogs! Eddie is the man and he's very enthused about mountain bikers being on beech. His restaurant is right on the beech mtn parkway just before you get to the resort entrance. When I was up there for the qualifier I ate there both nights and he took great care of us. Shoot, he was even talking about renting out an adjacent restaurant space during the summer to open up a biker hangout spot with beer, and bike parts for sale :shocked:

Incentives for volunteering on May 20th:

Beautiful Beech mountain views, digging with the one and only Moto Mike, helping to show the resort and the town that the dh community cares, the opportunity to carve out some "ninja lines" in that pesky rock section:rofl:, shapping sexy berms, inside scoop on the new lines that have developed after nationals and winter, and the list goes on...

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
I'll do my best to be there to show support.
Thanks Mike and Beech Mtn. and everyone else that continues to put work into making lift assisted riding a reality in NC. :thumb:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I really want to come, but I am still limping around. Not sure how much help I can be with a fractured patella or if I can even get down the trail (walking up is easier then walking down a trail). Not to mention the 20th is our wedding aniversary.

Still discussing it with the wife.

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Hey everyone,

Like Mike said, trail day at Beech. Unfortunately it looks like no riding this time around, but don't forget you can get almost a million runs in a morning up there so be ready for the race weekend. Schedule looks better this year and I hope you guys will all like it. Also a few have asked for an incentive to come up....I guess the best incentive I could come up with is a place to go ride downhill bikes every weekend. We have a budget to build new trail at Beech this Summer. In that budget is some race prep time,a lot for Nationals, a little for the qualifier. My thought is the less time our crew spends doing prep work the more time we have expanding the trail network. At this point there will be no open ride weekends until there is a beginner trail down the mountain, that beginner trail is not the AM track, I am talking a real beginner trail. As soon as we are ready for Nationals our full focus will be on getting that trail in place with the hopes of open weekends this fall. Things do look good but no promises.

Most people I know that ride bikes like doing this sort of stuff, i.e. trail building. Also most of us have very few opportunities to do this very thing, how many places can you go build in the woods without it being illegal? I am going to try to have more volunteer days this Summer to help maximize the amount of trail we have to ride at Beech Mountain and hopefully for this fall. For those of us that have built trail we know it is not a glamorous job, but we also know how fun it is to ride something you have built and especially when there is a lift ride to the top.

At this point we are going to have a big push in July to get everything ready for National Champs. This will include pro track tune up, some changes to the slalom track to hopefully make it even better, and a whole lot of setup. We are also going to try to knock out all the corridor work for the beginner trail. For those of you that helped last year, thank you first off, but secondly you know it wasn't a glamorous day. Overall it saved days and days of work and let us focus on other things. I think you all can also appreciate how nice it made watching the pro track.

In the end I hope a lot of you will come out to hang out and work a little. While there is nothing tangible we have to offer for compensation, the fact that we have this chance to build a bike park the way we want it is pretty amazing. See you in a week and bring your favorite tool if you have one.

Christopher

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Mike or Chris, Can I hitch a ride in a truck up the mountain (crutches up or down hill don't work well).

Also, if you could please have Talia contact me I would appreciate it, I sent her an email about event sponsorship. Thanks!

Jay

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
FYI Chris,

Since this is text and not my actual voice, please know I'm just tossing out suggestions to help drum up more diggers, not trying to cause trouble. Don't know how many volunteers you need and just from what we've all seen, when inviting 100, roughly 5 show.

My plan is to be there. Anybody wanting to roll with, drop me a line. Somebody bring me a rogue hoe. Been dying to swing one. ;)

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
please know I'm just tossing out suggestions to help drum up more diggers, not trying to cause trouble. Don't know how many volunteers you need and just from what we've all seen, when inviting 100, roughly 5 show.
Not that my 2 cents are worth anything, but I think you both are right. We had 75 people show up at Paris Mountain in January, almost too many people. There was a big push from GE, REI and Sorba to come help out. GE provided food, REI and Team BGB-MK provided prizes for a small raffle.

But I agree with Chris as well, the motiviation should be contributing to the success of an established bike park. That's more than enough return on your investment.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Spent several hours sweatin with my hoe yesterday! I would have let you have a turn Butch, almost too much for one man.
Foot's not 100%, but I'm trying to stop by in the afternoon but softball is "sur-E-us" bidnezz for the girls during the week. And we got an all weekend tourny to boot. When I get a day off, I'm all yours.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Unfortunately work is calling me away next weekend, otherwise I'd be there in a heartbeat. BUT if anyone wants to borrow my brand-new, never-before-been-stuck-in-the-ground rogue hoe, give me a shout. I bought it because I thought I was purchasing a house with a bunch of acreage but that didn't work out so well. :(

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Would love to come up and help Sunday, but I will have my son and am not going to put him through a long day driving up and on the mt. He would like it for about 2hrs tops, then would be crying to ride his bike. I hope you get a great turn out and can't wait to race there again this season. Keep up the great work!!

Cecil:thumb:

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Hey everyone, just a few days away until some good digging. It is always fun seeing a course shape up, and I know watching a track come together gets me excited about racing as much as anything else does.

Anyways to answer the question about dogs...I am not from the resort so this isn't "official" but I would say that as long as your dog isn't causing trouble there shouldn't be an issue. We will just be digging in the woods.

Now for a little more info. Plan is to meet at parking lot 1 a little before 10am. We will break up into groups and head up the mountain. The goal is to set all the poles, weedeat, blow leaves, and shape up any of the trail that needs attention. If the weather goes completely bad on us we will have to reschedule. I will make that call by 10 pm Saturday night so you all have time to plan for the change.

Thanks for all the support, I have a feeling it is going to be a great year at Beech Mountain Resort.

Christopher

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Wish I could make it up to Beech to help out, but this is the only weekend in 7 weekends that I'm not traveling somewhere. Thanks for everyone's hard work and I look forward to riding it next month.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Schedule for the race in June??? Is it a Saturday and Sunday event or just Saturday. Its sad to say but with the late scheduling from Beech some riders from Florida are not able to make, it would be nice if they can get a schedule together that away people can plan for the event.

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
Quoted from other post:

"Beech Mountain Resort has set additional dates for the much-anticipated Summer Mountain Bike Race Series. The events will occur on the weekends of June 16, August 18, and September 15. The two-day race weekends will offer dual slalom events on Saturday and downhill events on Sunday. The first race weekend, June 16, will serve as a qualifier for Nationals"

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
What David is saying is that the schedule of events, time frames for practice, etc play an important role in the decision process for those that have to commit to a long 3-4 day weekend of racing.

That's a big commitment from riders driving long distance, especially old, slow former winners of Beech like Dave. :D

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
I maybe old, but I still make it on the podium and hold my own against the young guns...

What David is saying is that the schedule of events, time frames for practice, etc play an important role in the decision process for those that have to commit to a long 3-4 day weekend of racing.

That's a big commitment from riders driving long distance, especially old, slow former winners of Beech like Dave. :D