Quantcast

Beech schedule this weekend

The Beech website says DH practice is from 9-12 am on Saturday. Anyone know if the lifts will be open all day or not? I'd like to get alot more riding in than that.

Also- can I use a debit/credit card to pay fees or do I need to bring a handful of cash?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Here is the schedule posted on the Beech thread:

Saturday
8am Registration Opens
1:30 am registration closes
9am-1pm downhill practice

1-3pm DS practice
3:10 Riders Meeting DS
3:15 DS Qualifying
Race starts immediately after
Awards to Follow

Sunday
8am registration opens
11:30am registration closes
9-11:30 Downhill Practice
11:30 Riders Meeting
11:45 Race Starts
1pm Lift closes

So hopefully the lift will be open until 1:00 on Saturday, but after that I would strongly suspect they will shut the lift down. Just me, but if I get 3-4 solid hours of Beech bashing, I will be ready for some greasy brats and a few German sodas (and cheering on the DS guys and gals). If you're looking for more riding (albeit, not DH), you can probably ride the XC trails around Beech, or if you don't mind the drive, go check out Rocky Knob.

Not sure about the cards onsite, but you can register online.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I would think running the lifts fo ra full 8 hours would encourage more rider attendance and give opportunity to work on bikes. Not to mention people from a long way off would get the spend more time getting addicted to DH. :D

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
While it would be nice to run the lifts all day, I'm guessing there is a point of diminishing returns for Beech in terms of how much it costs to run the lift (e.g. staff, power, O&M, etc...) versus how much money they're actually netting. $40 is a pretty damn good deal for a lift served DH race IMO. Plus, they may expect to lose some DH riders (say around 1:00 PM) who are also racing DS.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
While it would be nice to run the lifts all day, I'm guessing there is a point of diminishing returns for Beech in terms of how much it costs to run the lift (e.g. staff, power, O&M, etc...) versus how much money they're actually netting. $40 is a pretty damn good deal for a lift served DH race IMO. Plus, they may expect to lose some DH riders (say around 1:00 PM) who are also racing DS.
I understand, but there is no return on a DH race. It's all a loss. The only reason for having a DH race is to build a future customer base for the venue's long term operations, be it lodging, bike park or ski operations. The town of Beech Mtn is reall the one who stands to make money from bike races.

And they (Town of Beech) used to sponsor Mike Green's races with a hunk of money to cover the shuttles and some other costs, including donating trucks. Lift electricity is bought in "blocks" usually and the lift owner isn't typically charged by the wattage, but by the increase in demand on the grid for a set period.

The way it was explained to me at Wolf when I ran those races was that Orville (and this is an ARBITRARY NUMBER) might get charged $2500 to $5000 to allocate a block or grid of power for a weekend in the summer. It didn't matter how long they ran the lift. Technically, the MORE they ran the lift, the cheaper it would get because they might sell more tickets to offset the FIXED cost of electricity.

Say you ran a kids festival that day. You could make the activities free, but charge a few bucks per person for the lift ride. I'm not good at making money in that environment, hence why I don't do it anymore, but others know how.

But I just want to encourage as much access and riding as possible for everybody involved. :D

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
While I profess to have absolutely no intimate knowledge of how power companies conduct business in the High Country, that is not how Progress Energy does things here in Raleigh (and I happen to work for the largest power consumer in the county). Nor do I claim to know anything about hosting a DH race, but I find it hard to believe this is all just an effort to *hopefully* encourage riders to come visit Beech when (or if) the lifts are running every weekend. Losing your ass on 4 races hardly seems like an effective way to promote your product/service. If you're only goal is to increase summer month ridership, why not just have a few "open house" events where the lift tickets are either free or discounted, then charge a higher fee when the Whistler-esque crowds start showing up.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Not trying to stir crap up but we (Sugar) only have access to discounted power blocks in the winter months. Beech does things similar but App is on demand power. And with the sick new bike trays we can easily get 10-12 runs in from 9-1. A ton of work has been done in order for us to have a venue so even if I only get 1 practice run I will definitely be riding.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Brad, any idea how much those hunks of power cost? Would be cool to know, but doubt it makes a big difference.

I just want to say that the one BIG difference that separates Beech's efforts and intents from those of any other resort in our region is that they are running it themselves and therefore financially vested in making a park work.

I think that is truly awesome. If they've put their money into it, they're going to do everything they can for us, the riders, to get a return on the investment. :thumb:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Does anyone know (maybe I missed it either in another thread or online somewhere) if they will have everybody run the Amateur course only this weekend? My wife was asking as she is racing. Thanks in advance.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Atleast for me, considering it's half as far away as snowshoe, with camping and cheap food nearby. And the price is about half of what it costs to enter a race at snowshoe, it's not bad. I'd rather they just make the entry fee a little bit more and stay open all day though. I mean now adays $45 is on the very low end of what it costs for race entry with lift service.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Jay they are going to use the amamteur course. It's on one of the other Beech threads on here.. I'll see you in a couple of days..Oh Ya
Does anyone know (maybe I missed it either in another thread or online somewhere) if they will have everybody run the Amateur course only this weekend? My wife was asking as she is racing. Thanks in advance.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Schedule looks fine to me. People sure are good at asking for the world around here. If you don't get enough runs there, it's nobody's fault but your own.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Schedule looks fine to me. People sure are good at asking for the world around here. If you don't get enough runs there, it's nobody's fault but your own.
I agree about 50/50. I mean yeah you can get 4-5 runs in an hour there, but I think with news of a bikepark sort of raises expectations in some ways.

What if the race schedule reflects the bike park schedule. I wouldn't come out regularly if my only chance to ride was from 9AM-1pm.

I feel the biggest reason for the lift being open longer isn't more ride time, but the ability to relax and not ride for a bit. give your self a chance to rest, eat something, etc... then get back out there. It would suck to take an hour off for lunch if they close at 1pm... whereas at snowshoe (my main comparison) Its no biggey to take an hour off to go cook some food and then head out afterwards without the lifts being closed.

Anyways im fine with the schedule for y'all doubters, but who disallowed tweaking the schedule for the better. (personally) I don't race dual slalom, I could care less about having 2 hours set aside for practice. I mean how long does it take to memorize a 35 second track.... DH should be until 3pm with DS practice from like 2:00-3:30... then DS race. for me at least dual slalom is an entertaining side event. especially for the local races I don't get why the lift needs to be shutdown for the minority to do their DS practice, when probably like 80-90% of the people only showed up to do the downhill side of things.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Seems to me they are offering a ton of riding. Last year the complaint was that it was only one day. I am guessing they split it into two days and then slalom too! Can't please everyone but, I would b!tch if there were no slalom... so to me the schedule is perfect this year. Maybe they could keep it open one more hour til 2pm
for lifts but, otherwise bring both bikes... divey up and pay the few bucks to race slalom! It is a great event and if you do DH practice Sat. then DS practice and race then DH practice and race Sunday something is wrong if that isn't enough riding for you. I know it cost a litttle more but, c'mon people support it and it will grow!
Then maybe they can be like Snowshoe and keep it open both days all day. Takes time to build up the numbers to afford to keep the operators around all weekend.
Thanks to the crew up there! I think this is an awesome schedule.

P.S. DHRacer1067 maybe some people think the DH is the side event!

Last edited:

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
P.S. DHRacer1067 maybe some people think the DH is the side event!
I hear ya on that. but then if people don't care about the DH lift access that are racing slalom, why keep the people that prefer DH from riding? *on second thought its probably a lot about manpower and being able to marshal the DH track and dual slalom at the same time.

If I had the opportunity to ride downhill as much as some people did I would probably care a lot less, but going to beech is about all that can be afforded right now so it would be nice to squeeze every little bit out of the drive. which is also why I wouldn't mind to drop down another $10-20 to be able to ride all day and not worry about when the lift closes.

I just want to get a bunch of DH runs in. I'd rather not have to drive up Friday night, sleep in the parking lot and then get 4 hrs - which may be enough. I'd like to have all day. Take some time, set the bike up, find lines, try new things,etc.

Between the two mornings, I'm sure I'll have enough time for all that.

I didn't get to race last year and I love riding at Beech. I'd rather stop at 3 or 5 pm and then watch the slalom.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
^ I agree with you both. All day everyday would be even better. If we support what they are offering and help it grow by bringing up friends and telling more people, maybe it can be like a big boy park one day. If we don't come shred all we can and enjoy that... It won't even be available for us to ride the amount that is open now.
Nothing wrong with voicing what you'd like to see happen though. Not bashing anyone who just wants to ride their DH bike all day! Just saying it's one of only a few places in the SE to ride period, so bring it one and all.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Glad to be going racing at my all time Favorite Mt. this weekend. Have to say there is plenty of time to ride that has been given to us. The word here is "GIVEN". They can give and take. Be happy with what you have been given. Support what they have to offer and maybe we will get what we have always wanted on the Mt for years.

Will see you all this weekend and can't wait to rip up the hill with you all. THANKS BEECH MT and CREW!!!

Cecil

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I will be at the top of the mountain before 9:00 with my camera in hand. Gonna make my way down to the bottom during the practice session. Look for either a green or blue jersey, then through a whip, huck that rock, pedal out of that berm, throw some roost, or whatever for some good photos. As I always mention, color and constrast is my friend.

kyrider

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Schedule looks great. We have never been to Beech mtn. We are pretty excited as we are pisgah regulars, it be cool to have access to lifts in the area. We will be down for the weekend and was wondering what the best camp ground to stay at for riding beech?

Thanks for the help!
Chris

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
As I always mention, color and constrast is my friend.
Nothing sucks worse than Black or white outfits for pictures. I guess I'll be out shooting the DS since the lift is closing early. Sure am gonna miss having a nice long prime lens though. Never really had a chance to shoot with a super wide angle zoom before though; plus a general purpose zoom which I'm not sure is very good at tracking focus.

Anyways can't wait to head out there and hopefully figure out some good shots for DS.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Also, to anybody, don't be afraid to stop by and say hello, either that or yell at me when you go by me. The people are what make this a great sport to be involved with. Thanks and see you all there!

Jay

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
Whats everyones estimate on leaving Sunday? Wife wants to know when I will be home for first fathers day. At this point, I said before dark.

NZRipper

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Question on USA Cycling licenses... I've never had a license before but have qualified in Cat 1... When I go to sign up for a license it only offers me Cat 2 or 3. If I go ahead and get a Cat 2 license will I be able to register/race cat 1 this weekend? Thanks.

d.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
NZ you mean you have done a nats qualifier as Cat 1? If you mean you raced on a day license then you can email usa cycling your results and apply for an upgrade. If you race this qualifier as cat 2 you will have to race nats as cat 2. Same thing happened to me last year only as cat 3.

NZRipper

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yes, I raced Paris Mtn on a day license in Cat 1 and am on the qualifier list for the Nationals as Cat 1. Just not sure there is enough time to apply for the upgrade but have never done this before so wasn't sure how it works.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
So to piggy back off of NZ's question...

I'm currently qualified for Cat 2 for nats and have my license as Cat 2.

Can I sign up and race Beech this weekend as Cat 1 to try and qualify as Cat 1 or am I still stuck in Cat 2 since that is what my license says??

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
5 finishes in the top 5 is a mandatory upgrade to Cat 1. 2 top 5 finishes and you can request an upgrade to Cat 1.

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
You can email the regional USAC Rep Stuart Lamp slamp@usacycling.org and request the upgrade. I don't get the impression they are very formal about upgrades for gravity riders. Also, my experience has been he can grant it pretty quickly.