Quantcast

Beech Update

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
Good news for everyone:

Beech Mountain Resort will be promoting and hosting downhill races this summer. You may visit www.skibeech.com during the summer for information on the race dates and schedules. Nothing is on the site yet, however, but should be soon.

I think the first race date is 7/17-7/18.

I think the second race date is 8/14-8/15.

I think a third race will be scheduled in September.

I know it will be a good time so I am excited to see you all there!

See you on the track,
Ryan

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Yo Big R - I had a dream last night that you held a rollerblade race. No kidding...I came in like 2nd place. I think Jeremy won.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yo Big R - I had a dream last night that you held a rollerblade race. No kidding...I came in like 2nd place. I think Jeremy won.
If the REAL reason you called me today was to tell me that I am the fruitboot race winner of your dreams, I am glad that you didn't mention it. :rofl:

Ha, great news Ryan. I hope they have that 3rd race in September as well.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Everything is all-good! Just racing my bike this year:)
Oh, thanks to advances in technology, you may actually be able to finish a Beech Mountain race with your bike intact. Could the curse be lifted this year?

For those not in the know, when Ryan first came on the scene back in the day , his bike utterly despised him at Beech. Most non-lethal, near death crash I've ever seen was his BB sheering off coming down the drop to the road.

OK, I take that back. Fred launching his bike no brake style 15 feet high into an oak and himself into a hickory a few feet lower going off of the road.

No, wait. Herndon's wreck onto the road was gruesome.

Maybe it IS good that the old road drop is gone.:(

Oh, thanks to advances in technology, you may actually be able to finish a Beech Mountain race with your bike intact. Could the curse be lifted this year?

For those not in the know, when Ryan first came on the scene back in the day , his bike utterly despised him at Beech. Most non-lethal, near death crash I've ever seen was his BB sheering off coming down the drop to the road.

OK, I take that back. Fred launching his bike no brake style 15 feet high into an oak and himself into a hickory a few feet lower going off of the road.

No, wait. Herndon's wreck onto the road was gruesome.

Maybe it IS good that the old road drop is gone.:(
I think I may have that on video. The Cane Creek vid I made back in like 2000. Butch, I thnk you may have a copy.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I have a CaneCreek vid from 2000 on VHS, I thought Zane Ray made it though?
Might be a different video? But, I think it has that in it. I will have to watch and see.

So are these Dates Solid? This season is killing my sched. with date changes.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I have a CaneCreek vid from 2000 on VHS, I thought Zane Ray made it though?
Might be a different video? But, I think it has that in it. I will have to watch and see.

So are these Dates Solid? This season is killing my sched. with date changes.
I'll agree that the date changing stuff is only hurting things. I'm actually in this thread to try to update the event calendar in Yahoo and it's a mess.:confused: I can't find a "maybe" button on the calender.

brokeONE

Monkey
Feb 2, 2002
asheville,NC
I've got alot of footage from 2000, 2001 DH and DS from most of the Cane Creek races and Snow Shoe national, but it's on VHS. If I could ever get it over to DVD I would, but I've got to be careful with the tapes only videos I have left with my brother racing.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I'll agree that the date changing stuff is only hurting things. I'm actually in this thread to try to update the event calendar in Yahoo and it's a mess.:confused: I can't find a "maybe" button on the calender.

Doesn't sound like it was exactly his choice...but i'm sure he's terribly sorry to have inconvenienced you.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Doesn't sound like it was exactly his choice...but i'm sure he's terribly sorry to have inconvenienced you.
Sorry brother. Some of us don't have many more years of this whole DH lifestyle left in us. I hope for the best and am just frustrated b/c I'd love to ride my DH bike a ton this year. But I can also understand Ryan's side of things. :rolleyes:

We had a really good thing going at another ski resort and the handling of summer operations was never treated like their winter operations. As long as we all agree as a group to not give up on the ski resorts, it will have to happen at one of them sometime soon!! :thumb:

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
We had a really good thing going at another ski resort and the handling of summer operations was never treated like their winter operations. As long as we all agree as a group to not give up on the ski resorts, it will have to happen at one of them sometime soon!! :thumb:
I feel you Butch! It does get really frustrating from our point of view when it seems like a no-brainer (and profitable) for a resort to open up to downhill and the owner just brushes it off becuase all they really care about is buying new toys with the bundles of cash they just made off the winter season.

But we will not be deterred that easily! With the amount of support we have behind the races at the NC resorts someone in the right position is bound to take notice. If only we could find a friendly wealthy investor that likes bikes. All of Hawksnest (including the ski hill and old golf course) could be purchased for for $8 million.

Speaking of Beech, my buddy that goes to Lees-Mcrae went out and rode the track and mtn board course the other day. Trail report is a big :thumb:

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
I know where a great piece of property is north of Greenville that is unrestricted and has 700 feet of reaaly steep elevation drop. The price is only 150k. Lets get a bunch of people to make donations and we will from a non-profit. It about 40 acres

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
I feel you Butch! It does get really frustrating from our point of view when it seems like a no-brainer (and profitable) for a resort to open up to downhill and the owner just brushes it off becuase all they really care about is buying new toys with the bundles of cash they just made off the winter season.

But we will not be deterred that easily! With the amount of support we have behind the races at the NC resorts someone in the right position is bound to take notice. If only we could find a friendly wealthy investor that likes bikes. All of Hawksnest (including the ski hill and old golf course) could be purchased for for $8 million.

Speaking of Beech, my buddy that goes to Lees-Mcrae went out and rode the track and mtn board course the other day. Trail report is a big :thumb:
8mill? chump change:rolleyes:
Lets hold a bake sale:D

deadlink404

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
From the Beech website it says the races are on saturdays.
Is it going to be a one day thing or is it going to be weekends like last year?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think you're the only one. Everywhere else the racers are fine with usac. just sayin
just sayin that I have to bang my head to decide. In the past, one race wasn't worth the $150 but is 3? That's my decision.

thanks for lurking

Here is a thought: I wonder if there will be enough pros there to get a full pro class? If there are like 5 of us will they lump us and the experts together? Probably too early to tell but will the price drop since the license/insurance will be covered by USAC?

Last edited:

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
if they have slalom it could be 6 races. thatd be totally worth it, that track is super fun. i just don't want to race trill will on it. i've never seen a 2001 stumpy do what he does on it haha.

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
I think you're the only one. Everywhere else the racers are fine with usac. just sayin
I too would rather not have to purchase a $150 license for three races. I am not interested in the larger topic of usac vs no usac races; I am just sayin there was no reason to have a license to race in the southeast - now there is.

Of course I could just race sport with a $5 one day license! Still the same track, right...hmmm...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
just sayin that I have to bang my head to decide. In the past, one race wasn't worth the $150 but is 3? That's my decision.

thanks for lurking

Here is a thought: I wonder if there will be enough pros there to get a full pro class? If there are like 5 of us will they lump us and the experts together? Probably too early to tell but will the price drop since the license/insurance will be covered by USAC?
The more races we hold under the USAC banner, the more who will elect to upgrade since they have more races to hit up. Plus, there's a boatload of juniors in the area about to go pro. Northeast and out west have boatloads of pros because of the long term race scenes.

I think the Southeast is the only region that was completely neutered at one point by a lack of DH races, part of that being my fault when I decided having kids was more important that putting on free races.:confused:

If Beech runs 3 USAC races with a pro class, then that justifies Hawksnest adding a Pro category too. I also know some XC geekers that would love to race Pro DH around here on their "AM" bikes. :D

Just think...if we try hard enough...UCI points in the Southeast. :think:

Last edited:

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
sorry if this old news but just saw this posted on skibeech.com

"Beech Mountain Resort has teamed up with Lees-McRae College's Cycling Program, to offer three downhill mountain bike and slalom racing events in 2010. Three race weekends are set for the summer: July 10 and 11, August 7 and 9, and September 11 and 12. Amateur and professional categories will be offered. The Saturday downhill race will take place at Beech Mountain Resort and the Sunday Slalom race will take place at Lees-McRae College. To find out more information about the 2010 series contact Steve Solt via email at "

looks like Slalom is on does anyone know if they decide to go USAC or not?

Last edited: