Quantcast

Beech Update

FYI to everyone as I have learned this first hand way too many times. You better plan to leave a little extra, extra early to get to Beech on Saturday if you come up 221!!!

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100702/ENT/307020061

Stand still traffic.
What's a better/alternate way to get up there from I85? Could you take 25 from Greenville to 26 and then 321? Or just plan ahead and suffer for a bit?
I'm planning on coming late Friday night so I'm planning on being in that area in the wee hours of the morning, but some others might not be so lucky.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
closest I could think of would be grandfather mountain campground. They are holding the highland games this weekend so everything should be pretty full I imagine. I had a bit of trouble finding a hotel that wasn't full and would take reservations. Don't know how camping should be.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
is the park free or does the $10 fee apply?
Just Talked to the main man at beech regarding this yesterday. The high ground freestyle park is open to all registered racers (your number plate is your ticket and also means you've signed a waiver). For non registered racers who want to ride it you must pay $10 and sign a waiver. They're biggest concern is just having everyone who is riding sign a waiver.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I'd call them just in case. The Highland Games are going down so they may or may not enforce that rule. Depends on attendance this year I'd say.
apparently that is why its so high. it was our plan to camp but for the price were going to pay it just made sense to go ahead and pay a a little extra and get a room at 4 seasons.

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
i was wondering if they were doing prizes for cat 2 and 3. I saw on the website that there was cash payout for expert and sponsor donated prizes for amateur but it didnt say anything else?

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
awesome race except my last practice run. Fell in the mud near the end and sliced my knee open bad. Rode down and was laying on the finish line area while the paramedics were working on it.. ended up going to the hospital and got stitches.. what did i miss?

Jun 4, 2008
Pisgah
Stevan, Now please explain again how 4 people in the same slalom class got a byrun first round when everyone was at the starting gate. Trying really hard to understand but it just gets right by me. I thought you took a seeding run, then ran the fastest against the slowest quailifer,then number two against next slow rider and so on. Maybe I missed somthing?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Stevan, Now please explain again how 4 people in the same slalom class got a byrun first round when everyone was at the starting gate. Trying really hard to understand but it just gets right by me. I thought you took a seeding run, then ran the fastest against the slowest quailifer,then number two against next slow rider and so on. Maybe I missed somthing?
You have to fit the riders into brackets of either 4, 8, 16, 32 or 64. There were 12 I believe in the Pro/open class, so 4 needed to have a by-run in order to fill out the bracket of 16 for it to work correctly and have everyone race instead of just cutting the last 4 qualifiers and starting with a bracket of 8.

Last edited:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
My girlfriend snapped a few

All the people I recognize. Post/pm me your plate number or "kit" and I'll search for you tomorrow, though the majority are blurred thanks to the auto-focus not longer working properly with my sigma zoom lens.