Quantcast

been out of the scene...31.8 bars - why not?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
sure,, apparently larger diameter stuff is exponentially stronger for a slight minor increase in weight. that and they look extra burly :D

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
spacemanspiff06 said:
for the best strenght-to-weight ratio 24.5 is still king, but for the best in stiffness and looks, go with 31.8
Going to have to disagree. Many new 31.8 bars are just as light if not lighter then 25.4 and are tons stronger. I can push down on many 25.4 bars and feel them flex under me whereas a 31.8 is nice and stiff.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
mobius said:
Going to have to disagree. Many new 31.8 bars are just as light if not lighter then 25.4 and are tons stronger. I can push down on many 25.4 bars and feel them flex under me whereas a 31.8 is nice and stiff.
easton...the manufacturer of by far the strongest bars available...has data saying otherwise. The only reason they make a 31.8 bar is because the market called for one. The strength to weight ratio is lower on the bigger bar though. And I would think a little flex in your bars would actually help :thumb:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
dhmtbj said:
easton...the manufacturer of by far the strongest bars available...has data saying otherwise. The only reason they make a 31.8 bar is because the market called for one. The strength to weight ratio is lower on the bigger bar though. And I would think a little flex in your bars would actually help :thumb:
For which materials? Carbon or aluminum?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I jumped to 31.8 and it helped with sprinting, but I also really noticed the bars give a lot more small bump feedback. I would do it again.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i run 31.8 size diablo bars and there is no flex. i dont think i will ever go back to standard bars. like every one is saying theres way more flex in them than oversized. im only 150 lbs and i can flex a set of standard sized bars. so i dont see how you dont and way around 250.so its up to you man

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
You can say some good bars won't flex but i've pushed down on friends azonic double walls and all these different bars and they flexed so bad and just felt like crap. I personally don't want flex in the front end of my bike the suspension is for absorbing the impacts not my handlebars feeling all wobbly and crap when i corner.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...I gotta say, I got my first ride in on a new set of Holzfeller bars (31.8) w/ thomson x4 (thnx Mobius :thumb: ) & I was very surprised that I noticed the additional stiffness immediately. I was skeptical initially....it does make a real difference if you are hard on your bars (& I am :D ) Formerly, I ran the thomson elite/ race face low riser....big upgrade in stiffness & flex IMHO

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Good to hear you like the stem and those bars are nice kinda wish i got a 1" riser on my race rig instead of the 1.5 diabolous.

AzRMX

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
AZ
my bike came with 31.8 titec el norte 2's and i love them, i wiegh 220 and do some big jumps and drops, i never feel them flex

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Jeremy R said:
That setup is awesome.
Do you like how flat the bar feels at the end?
That is a personal preference thing, and I like it.
....oh yeah! I know what you mean about personal preference...I am very picky about bars (sweeps, rise etc..) Hit the jackpot on those things. Funny, right now I am surfing Ebay trying to find another (scored first for 20$ :thumb: ) & noticed these replys :p

Been riding the 5 Spot w/ the new setup for a few weeks while I was waiting for the fork to return from Zocchi for my sovereign. Just put it back together & jumped on it....now those bars/ stem feel like butt :mumble: hehe....UGI, full time!

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
Ok then sounds like the 31.8 is finding satisfied users out there. I have been a diehard 2" Answer Protaper user for 3-4 years...I used to cut them down but went wider and wider til I ended up at the stock width and liked it. I ordered a new integrated Boxxer stem from e13 today and I'll try something 31.8...thanx for the input.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Backpack1 said:
Ok then sounds like the 31.8 is finding satisfied users out there. I have been a diehard 2" Answer Protaper user for 3-4 years...I used to cut them down but went wider and wider til I ended up at the stock width and liked it. I ordered a new integrated Boxxer stem from e13 today and I'll try something 31.8...thanx for the input.
If you like the Pro Tapers, just get the 31.8 Pro Tapers. That's what I use. The sweep is the same as the standard size, but the bars are a lot stiffer.

BigDawd

Chimp
Aug 22, 2005
CT
Backpack1 said:
Can I ask where you got your e-13 stem? Been looking for it to run on my 05' boxxer. I'm in the same boat as you. Looking to possibly go with the protaper @ 31.8 as well. Wish they had like a 1.5" riser though.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
BigDawd said:
Can I ask where you got your e-13 stem? Been looking for it to run on my 05' boxxer. I'm in the same boat as you. Looking to possibly go with the protaper @ 31.8 as well. Wish they had like a 1.5" riser though.

I just called e13 and ordered it. The guy, (Jim?) was super helpful and it was $99. Dave W and John P are in Europe for Eurobike and the Worlds.