Quantcast

beer/wine newbie

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ok guys, here's my story:

i'm 22 but have bought the grand total of 3 bottles of beer in my life*. however i have decided to change this and start drinking in moderation, for amusement and the health benefits. other helpful information: i'm a cheese fan so always have a range of cheeses handy. does this mean i should look to wine?

what i've bought: one la fin du monde a year ago, and, tonight, a fat tire amber ale and a maudite. i liked the end of the world but wasn't blown away -- i liked it more than, say, sam adams but couldn't say why. probably placebo effect from its praise here, actually. :D

based on all this junk above, where do i go from here?

(*from stores, i'm not counting drinks bought at bars since that's indiscriminate)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just keep an open mind and try different beers and see what you like. Beer is an aquired taste and you will probably find that what you like will change over the years. If you can find a brew on premises pub, find some people and start making your own stuff. If you can learn about beer and where it gets its flavor from it makes the experience so much better.

I used to love heavy darker beers but lately I have fallen in love with the hoppy ones, IPA's etc.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
A few good brews to sink your teeth into would be;

Black Butte Porter by Dechutes Brewery - It is very rich and sweet
Bridgeport IPA by Bridgeport Brewery - It is very hoppy but refreshing
Widmere Hefeweizen by Widmere Brothers - Very refreshing and good with or without lemon.
Arrogant Bastard Ale is a fine brew, but is aggressive and may not be for the beginner.

Rock Bottom Brewery is always good because you can taste test all of their beers for a reasonable price. Same with the brewery in Pike Place and Pyramid. For one of the finest beer selections I have ever witnessed go to the Dog and Pony pub in Renton, they hvae an astounding number of great beers on tap.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
You're in Seattle now? If so, go to Bottleworks on 45th in Wallingford, right by the QFC. You will have the world of beer at your fingertips there and some good guides in the store to point you in the right direction. I used to live three blocks from Bottleworks and it was a regular stop on my way home from my office at UW (right off the #44 bus line :D). I still have one of their stickers on an old Foes frame :).

Shooting from the hip, I'll offer the following suggestions - Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock (the bottle that comes with the plastic goat), Mac & Jack's African Amber (not sure if you can buy in stores but it's served in many Seattle bars, brewed somewhere on the eastside I think), New Beligum's 1554 black ale and their Trippel are good too. Any my god, by all means make the rounds to the local brewpubs if you haven't already...Big Time in the U-District is a second home for most UW grad students (it's where we used to hold our more informal seminars on "fluid dynamics" :D), Hales, Maritime Pacific, The Pike Pub & Brewery...man I'm frothing at mouth just thinking about all these places.

For wines, I'm partial to the David Lake signature labels from Columbia Winery. Their Red Willow Syrah kicks ass. Chateau St. Michelle makes a good semillion too if you're looking for a good chardonnay alternative in a white wine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wow. i am overwhelmed now. thanks for the tips, especially on where to research "fluid dynamics" :thumb: :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Tenchiro said:
Maybe we should have a "PNW Brew Tour" one of these weekends?

we used to have a bike pub crawl. meet at 7 at a bar then street ride on the way to next. repeat as necessary

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Also don't discount some of the more pedestrian suds available. Negro Modelo is quite good and beats the hell out of Corona. Pabst Blue Ribbon is also quite tasty, at lkeast when compared to Bud, Coors and most other common American swill.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
berkshire_rider said:
:thumb: Excellent advice. Most brew pubs have excellent beer, and you can usually try 6 or more different types on tap.
Micro Brew Directory
Berkshire,

Considering you're apparent knowldge, I will expect you to be bringing a wide range of finely crafted brews with you on this weekends trip to the Kingdom!!! :thumb:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
berkshire_rider said:
I'm hoping the beer store has some of this in stock.
Beer store!?!? Hell...we drive right by the Long Trail Brewery on Rt. 4 in Bridgewater on :drool: the way up!!! I vote for a pit stop!! We should be passing there right around 9am! :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
choices choices, so I say try:

Long Trail Blackberry Wheat
Sam Addams
Blue Moon (w/a orange slice)
Honey Brown
Paulaner Hefe-Weizen (w/a lemon slice)
Yuengling Lager

Wine:
just grab a $10-15 bottle of one of these
Pinot Grigio
Chardonnay

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Beer store!?!? Hell...we drive right by the Long Trail Brewery on Rt. 4 in Bridgewater on the way up!!! I vote for a pit stop!! We should be passing there right around 9am!
I think they are only open 12:00pm-5:00pm. However, it sounds like a lunch plan for the return trip on Sunday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tenchiro said:
Maybe we should have a "PNW Brew Tour" one of these weekends?

i'd be down with that, maybe even a bike crawl as biggins suggests (or bus crawl since i have this newfangled u-pass thing) :D

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It is important to know the old standby: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Recently rated the second best beer in America by Mens Journal, this microbrew has the largest distribution in the US of any craft brew. I kid you not, I have found the stuff at the most backwoods gas stations, 7-11's, and ****hole restaurants and it saves the day every time.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Ridemonkey said:
It is important to know the old standby: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Recently rated the second best beer in America by Mens Journal, this microbrew has the largest distribution in the US of any craft brew. I kid you not, I have found the stuff at the most backwoods gas stations, 7-11's, and ****hole restaurants and it saves the day every time.
Ridemonkey speaks the truth!

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
quadricolour said:
Beer and cheese huh? You can kill two birds with one stone.

That cheese totally smells like ass. They have it at the local Thriftway and I took a wiff and about lost it. It may taste good, but my god does it stink (and not in a good way!)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
McGRP01 said:
Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout. That's all you need to know my son.
:drool: One of my favorites! I haven't had one in quite some time though :think:

I like Shiraz wines (usually Yellow Tail or Wally's Hut...both Aussie wines) or Pinot Noir. I am a much bigger fan of red wines than white and always drink them at room temp (whites are generally better chilled I believe...but again, I don't drink them much).

As for beers, pretty much any of the Magic Hat brews, Long Trail, Sam Adams, Yuengling or Guiness are generally good choices.

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
I totally totally totally second (or third, whatever) Sierra Nevada. The pale ale is good, but I like the porter better. Haven't gotten hold of the stout yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to the winter seasonal.

Red Hook is local to you and makes a great ESB. The IPA is their well-known beer, but I've never had it.

Blue Moon Belgian Wheat is popular around here and is pretty good. It's an 'easy' beer.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i'm a stout drinker myself. however my taste has been changing to accomidate some ales but never pale ales, too hoppy for me. its perfect stout drinking weather here.

Rogue chocolate stout. it is so good. :drool:

Hedonistic! Ebony in color with a rich creamy head. The mellow flavor of oats, chocolate malts, and real chocolate are balanced perfectly with the right amount of hops for a bittersweet finish. Chocolate Stout is brewed with 10 ingredients: Northwest Harrington and Klages, Crystal 135-165 and Beeston Chocolate Malts, Cascade Hops, Rolled Oats and Roasted Barley, Natural Chocolate Flavor, Free Range Coastal Waters and PacMan Yeast. Chocolate Stout is available only in the classic 22-ounce bottle during a limited period and on draft at select accounts.

Measurements: 15 degrees Plato, IBU 69, Apparent Attenuation 77, Lovibond 135.45 degrees.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
good stouts i've had...

deschutes obsidian stout (hell, anything w/ "deschutes" on the label is top-notch)
harpoon stout (sadly extinct)
ipswich stout (but w/ deadly gas the next day)
brooklyn chocolate stout
sam smith oatmeal stout (but i wish i could get it fresher than a clear bottle)
pyramid stout (no one distributes pyramid in my local area anymore, dammit)
sierra nevada stout (not the greatest, but not bad)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
McGRP01 said:
Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout. That's all you need to know my son.
so i've been mixing sipping from a (singular) bottle of samuel smith's oatmeal stout with my studies this week. still not done with the bottle :D :think: . i like it more than the maudite from last week. i really need to develop a better beer-vocabulary eh

narlus, what is the significance of a "clear bottle"?

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Toshi said:
so i've been mixing sipping from a (singular) bottle of samuel smith's oatmeal stout with my studies this week. still not done with the bottle :D :think: . i like it more than the maudite from last week. i really need to develop a better beer-vocabulary eh

narlus, what is the significance of a "clear bottle"?
Exactly how long has that beer been open?!? :blah: After a ber has been open overnight, it's best to get a fresh one. That's not to say you have to finish them right away but sipping on the same one all week is never good.

Clear bottles are not the best storage device for beer as light will make it skunky after a while, especially after living under the stores flourescents for weeks at a time.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
genpowell71 said:
Something that I developed a taste for was the dunkelweisen in Germany. unfortunatley they dont sell it here in the states.
Some beer stores sell Paulaner Weizens. Schoefferhofer Weizens, especially the dunkel, really blow Paulaner away though. Haven't seen that in the states yet, but I'm looking.

Unfortunately, the few imported Weizens I have tried here in VA have been pretty stale.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Chimay cheese is amazing; it does smell a bit strange, but it's one of the best cheeses I've ever eaten. I haven't had the opportunity to eat it with the beer yet, but based on eating it alone, and drinking the beer by itself, I have no doubt that it would be a good combination.

Hoegaarden is a really good beer, and fairly widely available. All of the Stone beers that I've had have been quite good, as have been all of the Samuel Smith ones (Winter Welcome is particularly good, but I wouldn't buy any of it that is still around).

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
For the newbie, I'd reccomend Duval or any tripples b/c they are lighter and cleaner.

For non belgains, I'd say try:
Sam Adams
Black Butte
Dos XX (brown bottle)
ANY Sam Smith

fonseca said:
Some beer stores sell Paulaner Weizens. Schoefferhofer Weizens, especially the dunkel, really blow Paulaner away though. Haven't seen that in the states yet, but I'm looking.

Unfortunately, the few imported Weizens I have tried here in VA have been pretty stale.
Supposedly there is a distributor out in LA that will import Dunkel at an inflated price. But I dont know who it is. But if it's actual Dunkel then it'd be worth it.