Quantcast

beer/wine newbie

norco_nut

Chimp
Mar 26, 2002
Canada
"narlus, what is the significance of a "clear bottle"?"

I know I'm not Narlus but from what I've been told beer glass colours date back to the war....
Green, clear, ect =meant you were a high roller in society

Brown= was dirty clear glass that meant you were lower in society

Like most of the commodities...glass went to the war effort so if you had some of that snazzy coloured (or un coloured) glass you were livin the life.

I could be wrong though....

If you guys make it to canada sometime try a Waterloo Dark. Real dark but silky smooooooth. Plus they have cleaver things written under the cap.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm taking my wife, a semi-newb, and a friend of mine, a Miller Lite drinker, to a "tasting" at a local gourmet shop. Tonight's menu: Samuel Smith's Organic Ale, Westmalle Trappist Triple, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Traquair House Ale, Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock, and Lindemans Framboise Lambic.

:drool:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
norco_nut said:
"narlus, what is the significance of a "clear bottle"?"

I know I'm not Narlus but from what I've been told beer glass colours date back to the war....
Green, clear, ect =meant you were a high roller in society

Brown= was dirty clear glass that meant you were lower in society
I've heard brewers say that darker glass lends to better preservation of the beer. I have no idea.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
BikeGeek said:
I'm taking my wife, a semi-newb, and a friend of mine, a Miller Lite drinker, to a "tasting" at a local gourmet shop. Tonight's menu: Samuel Smith's Organic Ale, Westmalle Trappist Triple, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Traquair House Ale, Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock :drool: , and Lindemans Framboise Lambic.

Nice! Where abouts is this?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BikeGeek said:
I'm taking my wife, a semi-newb, and a friend of mine, a Miller Lite drinker, to a "tasting" at a local gourmet shop. Tonight's menu: Samuel Smith's Organic Ale, Westmalle Trappist Triple, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Traquair House Ale, Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock, and Lindemans Framboise Lambic.

Your wife will love the Lindeman's. I've never met a girl who didn't like that stuff.

The Westmalle is really nice, if you haven't had it.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
BikeGeek said:
Once a month at the Daily Planet in Del Ray.
2004 Mt Vernon Ave. Alexandria

www.dailyplanetwines.com
Awesome...thanks. I'll have to pay attention and see what goes on next month. The Daily Planet and the Evening Star are great spots and are very close to where I live, just outside of Del Ray proper.

I'll also throw out for the general audience...Dogfish Head. They have some very unique brews (i.e. 120 Minute IPA, 21% ABV :eek: ) and some very well done standards (Shelter Pale, 60 Minute IPA). Not sure how wide their distribution is outside of the mid-Atlantic region is though.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
DamienC said:
I'll also throw out for the general audience...Dogfish Head. They have some very unique brews (i.e. 120 Minute IPA, 21% ABV :eek: ) and some very well done standards (Shelter Pale, 60 Minute IPA). Not sure how wide their distribution is outside of the mid-Atlantic region is though.
I had some of their pumpkin ale last night. :)

Labatt USA is the hosting distributer for next month's tasting. They said to expect things like Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe, Belle-Vue, Boddington's, etc. Last night's selections were phenomenal. The Samuel Smith's Organic Ale was possibly my favorite of the evening.

norco_nut

Chimp
Mar 26, 2002
Canada
BikeGeek said:
I've heard brewers say that darker glass lends to better preservation of the beer. I have no idea.
Yeah that is another reason too...

Thats why beer in cans and kegs taste different from the bottle.