Quantcast

Beer

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
So I recently turned 21. I'm looking around for a good beer. Unlike most kids my age, I am not all about going out and getting to the point where I can't remember my name or stand. I do enjoy a casual drink or two. So my charge to you is to suggest a good beer that isn't one of the main distributors. Some sorta brand that is a smaller chain. I enjoy supporting small business. Have a friend who microbrews in the PA area and makes a quality product? I would love to know what people are enjoying these days.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
have you visited our beer forum here?

As for a suggestion, it's like advocating your LBS -- see spinteck, you uptight sandy vag! ;) -- find a bar that has 100+ beers and start drinking, umm, err... that sounded bad.

Order flites (flights?)... several beers, 4oz each.

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
dude you're in pa, get yeungling! So pissed they won't distribute to ohio. But for higher quality just start trying microbrews, there's so many out there but locals will be the freshest and therefore more satisfying. See if you can find one you like that sells growlers and then get them refilled. Cheap and so good.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
find places that have build your own 6 pack, and just pick 6 beers that sound good...thats what i usually do....then i walk up to the front with that and my 12 pack of pbr that cost just as much for those nights that i feel cheep

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First of all, don't get all caught up into what kind of beer you like.

Secondly my first recommendation would be to just find your local brewpub or similar. Sample each or their beers, if there is one that stands out try the same type at the grocery or store or other place. Don't worry if you don't like something but keep an open mind. Certain types of beers don't mix well with a younger palette. I'm not trying to be some grouchy old man but peoples tastes definately change as they get older. Some faster than others but there are not too many 21 y/o that can appreciate all beers. I guess what I am trying to say is if you find something you do not like give it a shot a few years later, you might like it.

Eggzoi

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Australia
Well I'm in Australia so good luck find these but James Squire Golden Ale is like an orgasm in my mouth and Little Creatures Pale Ale is pretty close behind.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well I'm in Australia so good luck find these but James Squire Golden Ale is like an orgasm in my mouth and Little Creatures Pale Ale is pretty close behind.
I don't know who James Squire is, but I would not like him (or any guy, for that matter) anywhere near my mouth. I guess you all do it different down under, though.

Beer, like women are all beautiful on some level. But some women are far more beautiful after many beers.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
There are so many choices.

I suggest going to a local liquor store and asking an employee to recommend something. Let them know you're interested in trying microbrews.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
West and IAB are right on. You will be well served if you create good relationships with local purveyors who over time will understand what you like and continue to make recommendations.

One of most enjoyable aspects of beer for me is the incredible variety of high quality product. Rather than seek one particular favorite, seek to keep an open mind and be continuously trying new things, paying attention to what you like and don't like. Even if you don't like an individual choice, you will learn from the experience - and chances are good you'll have another beer in the near future. I guess what I'm saying is don't become a Foster's drinker or whatever, become a beer drinker.

This approach will sustain a lifetime of exploration. (Also works for wine, food, and life in general...your results may vary.)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
That lil creatures is one of my all time faves. :D
Cascade (from tassy) do a pretty reasonable range too.
Try to find local micro brewers if you can, they tend to be run by folks who actually give a sh*t about what they make.:cheers:

Hmm this thread needs partsy of VB's input, I'd guess they'd be the Aussie beer experts. :beerjam:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
That lil creatures is one of my all time faves. :D
Cascade (from tassy) do a pretty reasonable range too.
Try to find local micro brewers if you can, they tend to be run by folks who actually give a sh*t about what they make.:cheers:

Hmm this thread needs partsy of VB's input, I'd guess they'd be the Aussie beer experts. :beerjam:
Man, I must of gotten some skunked Lil Creatures or something, I thought that stuff was wretched. Coopers though, they had some awesome beers and James Squire was a good one when I had some extra cash.

Loads of good smaller breweries in the New York area. Check out your local grocery store and visit the beer aisle. Pick up anything that strikes your fancy. You'll lose on a few, but I bet a lot of them will become favorites.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
James Squire was pretty much all I drunk when I was back home. Their porter and amber ale are spectacular.
Amber ale

Porter

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
here are a couple beers i enjoy that would be worth checking out, i too have a "young palate."

otter creek stovepipe porter
long trail hibernator, ale, and doublebag
magic hat jinx
boulder beer hazed and infused

in my efforts to compile this list, i have realized that i need to start switching it up and explore different beers.