Quantcast

Before I order my custom roadie...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Is there a production bike for longer legged people?

My specs are something like

Effective S-T: 57cm
Effective T-T: 55cm
Head-tube: 18cm

Something like that. I don't care if it's considered a roadie or not. steel or Ti.

I'm hoping those of you in the industry will know :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not sure about specific models, but do you think those numbers are so far off common geo that you really need custom? Seems you could get a good fit with a slightly shorter stem on just about any horizonal TT bike (as opposed to sloping TT), no? Custom is good and all, just curious.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The biggest problem that longer legged guys have is not finding a frame with the correct top tube length, but rather the difference between handlebar and saddle height.

On a typical frame, Mr. Opie will probably have a 4 inch drop from the saddle to the bars. You can compensate by a high stack height and a high rise stem, but it will look goofy and still might not be high enough.

Ultimately, if you did decide to get a stock frame, I would look into the "Sport Road" frames, like Cannondale Synapse. Those bikes come with longer head tubes, giving you the higher bar position.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yup, Sanjuro's right... on my original 54cm roadie, I jacked up the saddle as high as it could reasonably go and got a stem-riser to lift the bars. hence the head-tube measurement which you rarely see mentioned.

I think I might have found the bike for me -- http://www.kogswell.com

I would prefer to go back to my custom builder, but money is tight with a kid on the way. I might still use him, haven't decided.

Also, there's info leaked about the 2008 Raleigh Sojourn which seems like it might be awesome. A more relaxed upright ride for the general public, still sporty for long-legged freaks. Steel bike, disc brakes, touring bits.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Check out the North American Handbuilt bike show.
There are lots of great builders out there that keep there overhead low and don't indulge in marketing so they can sell frames for less than $1000.
Curtlo is one of my faves. He refuses to charge market value for his bikes.

Steve Garro at Coconino Cycles is another.

Both build exclusively in filleted steel but they are 2 of the best brazers that I have ever seen.

No offense to Landshark, but he gets too carried away with the brass for my tastes. Anything bigger than a 1/4" fillet is just added weight and a waste of brass.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
yup, Sanjuro's right... on my original 54cm roadie, I jacked up the saddle as high as it could reasonably go and got a stem-riser to lift the bars. hence the head-tube measurement which you rarely see mentioned.

I think I might have found the bike for me -- http://www.kogswell.com

I would prefer to go back to my custom builder, but money is tight with a kid on the way. I might still use him, haven't decided.

Also, there's info leaked about the 2008 Raleigh Sojourn which seems like it might be awesome. A more relaxed upright ride for the general public, still sporty for long-legged freaks. Steel bike, disc brakes, touring bits.
I just sold a used 59cm Raleigh that had a 57cm top tube. It would be perfect for you in a 56 or 57, I would think.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Check out the North American Handbuilt bike show.
There are lots of great builders out there that keep there overhead low and don't indulge in marketing so they can sell frames for less than $1000.
Curtlo is one of my faves. He refuses to charge market value for his bikes.

Steve Garro at Coconino Cycles is another.

Both build exclusively in filleted steel but they are 2 of the best brazers that I have ever seen.

No offense to Landshark, but he gets too carried away with the brass for my tastes. Anything bigger than a 1/4" fillet is just added weight and a waste of brass.
Thanks for the info. My local builder is similar to Curtlo.

Since I'm expecting my bike to be stolen again, I don't want to put a lot of wait time, money and love into it :disgust:

I just sold a used 59cm Raleigh that had a 57cm top tube. It would be perfect for you in a 56 or 57, I would think.
My limited research suggests that TT get shorter as the ST goes past 58cm. What I'm saying is, a 56-58cm effective ST typically has as long or longer TT. Which is why I'm stoked about the Kogswell as an option.
That all said, I'm looking forward to reading about the Raleigh touring bike, so if you sell Raleigh, maybe keep an ear out for the Soujourn?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Thanks for the info. My local builder is similar to Curtlo.

Cool. Most people think Seven or IF or some other overpriced piece when they think custom. I just wanted to make sure you knew you could get custom geo and better quality than anything made in Taiwan for under 1K.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Yup.

We got a sophisticated alarm system now and I just joined the NRA.

I'm a jew with a shotgun... and I drink regularly.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Yup.

We got a sophisticated alarm system now and I just joined the NRA.

I'm a jew with a shotgun... and I drink regularly.

LOL! Now you are on the right track. A shotgun should suit your needs good. My AK was overkill, and since I am moving to California, where assault weapons are illegal I sold it, and bought a laser sight for my Glock, and a few bike parts. I keep a shotty around too. A pistol grip 870 with 10 shot extension loaded with buck shot.