Quantcast

Before you buy new gloves...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
4,257
28
Livin it up in the O.C.
I was cruising through the local Home Depot and I came across something I thought you would all want to hear about.

Right next to the section with all the tools, there was an end of isle display with 5-6 different styles of work gloves. And I'm not talking about the standard thick leather ones you are used to.
These ones are EXACTLY like biking gloves. They had long finger ones with or without padding on the palms and sticky on the fingers.
They had 3/4 gloves and short finger ones too.

All were exactly like biking gloves with the "terry" sweat patch and everything....
And all were $20 or less!! :drool:




I'm never going to buy gloves from the LBS again.
:nopity: :mumble:
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
36,558
3,356
Sleazattle
I've seen a lot of people wearing those types of gloves on the trail. But what I have found is I need the extra padding by the thumb or my hands go numb from pressure on nerves.
 

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
2,129
0
SL, UT
do they breathe as well as gloves designed for mtb use? my TLD air gloves breathe really well, but I'm all for saving money.
 

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
520
0
knoxville, tn
I've been ridding w/ mechanix gloves for a while now. Not really the best, but cheap and no padding on the palm.

I use a pair of the home depot basic glove while doing manual labor. They are just as durable as regular leather gloves but they breathe better and you can actually use your fingers. Silly things like tightening the chain tension on a saw or doing basic mechanical repairs is much easier w/ that style glove.
 

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
4,831
0
Sleepy Hollar
I've been using the HD gloves for 1.5 years now. I was gloveless before and have pretty tough hands so I don't miss the padding too much. I've also found that being all synthetic they keep your hands pretty warm when they get wet.

That reminds me, I'm due for another pair soon.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,415
2,089
In my pants
I've had a set of Kobalt mechanics gloves for over a year. I've never had bike gloves last that long.
 

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
1,522
0
State College, PA
I've used Mechanix gloves for years now. Either the standard or Mpact versions have worked out well and can be found for $18-22 most times. Sears and I believe 661 have some gloves made with the same Mechanix design/features.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
21,987
153
NY
Ciaran said:
I like em alot. fit well, breaths nice. I'm on my second pair.
Wow, not bad!!
That shop is in the SMALL SMALL town where I went to college.
 

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
6,143
0
Floating down the Hudson
-BB- said:
I was cruising through the local Home Depot and I came across something I thought you would all want to hear about.

Right next to the section with all the tools, there was an end of isle display with 5-6 different styles of work gloves. And I'm not talking about the standard thick leather ones you are used to.
These ones are EXACTLY like biking gloves. They had long finger ones with or without padding on the palms and sticky on the fingers.
They had 3/4 gloves and short finger ones too.

All were exactly like biking gloves with the "terry" sweat patch and everything....
And all were $20 or less!! :drool:




I'm never going to buy gloves from the LBS again.
:nopity: :mumble:
I am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
21,987
153
NY
berkshire_rider said:
Greenfish is a great place to do business with. They don't always have a ton of inventory, but what they do carry generally has a good price.
It's about 1.5hrs from me and I've always wanted to stop by. Problem is it's not in the direction I ever go.
 

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
1,478
0
South Bend
I have been using ironclad gloves for almost 5 years now , they can be found at most hardware stores, I also had a pair of mechanix but they melted when I was camping and got to close to the fire.
 

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
2,557
10
The Blackstone Valley
stosh said:
It's about 1.5hrs from me and I've always wanted to stop by. Problem is it's not in the direction I ever go.
Linky

Add to favorites. When I used to live just north of Albany, I could place an order and get delivery the next day with normal ground shipping because they were so close. Made it nice for stuff I neeeded relatively quick. :)
 

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
5,247
0
Brooklyn
i recently bought a few things from an online bike site and saw a pair of lizard skins gloves for $10 bucks..I figured for the price I couldnt go wrong... they are one of my favorite gloves of all time.. I am going to have t ofind out where to get more
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
21,987
153
NY
berkshire_rider said:
Linky

Add to favorites. When I used to live just north of Albany, I could place an order and get delivery the next day with normal ground shipping because they were so close. Made it nice for stuff I neeeded relatively quick. :)
Oh yeah I have their website book marked already but thanks anyway!

I went to School in Delhi and I can't believe a bike shop there can survive. I guess they survive because of their internet sales.