Quantcast

Beginner Bikes

nikdh

Chimp
Jan 30, 2013
Iowa
Hello,
I am very new to this website but I intend to be very active here. I would just like to know some of your opinions on a beginners bike that could suit me. I am 14, 5'1" and 95 lbs.

nikdh

Chimp
Jan 30, 2013
Iowa
answer these questions

What type of riding do you plan to do?

What is your price range?

what brands do your local bike shop carry?
I plan on doing downhill but there are not a lot of places in Iowa so for right now I would be doing mostly freeride
My price range is not very big around $1000
Some of the local stores carry Trek, Giant and Specialized

Last edited:

nikdh

Chimp
Jan 30, 2013
Iowa
I imagine there aren't too many places to go downhilling in/near Iowa :think:
Yes there is pretty much nothing in Iowa. But there are some downhill trails. When I am older I would like travel so I can be able to downhill more. But for right now I am going to be doing freeride mostly.

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
debuque area isnt too bad, by midwest standards, not sure if there are any trails. If you are in des monies. you are screwed.

Anyways, you should probally look at used hardtails. A hardtail will be perfect for what you are doing, and will teach you the skills needed to be a ripper. its cheaper so you can save money to buy all the other gear, helmet, pads, gloves. and a trip to whistler :P

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
Maybe for 750$ you get a deal on a brand new Giant Trance 3 or 4 (not necessarily the "X" ones). Little bit tweaked (start with tires and wheelset), it can be used for serious trail riding and 4x and some light DH action.

Giant Parts are a little bit on the heavy side, but could be replaced step by step.