Quantcast

beginner MTB for my GF!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So Liz has been pestering me for a bike of her own. She had been using my Cheeta, but that's in the process of being changed over to a slalom race bike. Definitely looking for a hardtail, since she's just getting into it. She's a little thing (5'2", well little by my standards). Not sure if she'd be best off on something women's specific, but we're keeping options open. Used would be best to save some $$, that and I have a good number of spare parts sitting around (so a complete isn't entirely necessary). Would be used for sorta mellow xc rides at first, so a triple and good front fork are key.

Any of the ladies got any recomenndations for a decent frame? What about sizing? I know she'll need some bikes, but was more looking for a good starting point. Anyone got anything for sale? :brows:

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Cool! Liz is just 2" shorter than me but, I sold my jekyll already and don't have plans to sell any more off at this point. Is she a typical woman's frame (longer legs and shorter torso) or not so much? I personally am not a typical woman's frame as I have relatively short legs and torso so I fit well on most 15" frames. For a starting point, you might want to check out Kona (XS or 14" would probably work), Giant (not sure if this is sold yet or not) or Specialized bikes.

Good luck!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cool! Liz is just 2" shorter than me but, I sold my jekyll already and don't have plans to sell any more off at this point. Is she a typical woman's frame (longer legs and shorter torso) or not so much? I personally am not a typical woman's frame as I have relatively short legs and torso so I fit well on most 15" frames. For a starting point, you might want to check out Kona (XS or 14" would probably work), Giant (not sure if this is sold yet or not) or Specialized bikes.

Good luck!

Liz isn't super leggy, but her legs aren't super stubby either. I was thinking about taking her A-B-C measurements and crunching some numbers to see what the geometry would start looking like. I know she'll wind up testing a few bikes before something is purchased.

And thanks for the heads up on the Jamis! I forgot that they make some good bikes at good prices.

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
I started two seasons ago on a Diamondback hardtail. I think it was a Response... 16" frame. I'm 5'4". I loved it - bike + basic gear ( helmet, gloves) cost less than $500. I wish I could remember what kind of front fork it had though - I ended up having to replace it last summer... so the fork didn't last too long.

Good luck with the shopping!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just wanted to give an update, Liz got her bike yesterday! The lbs was having a spring sale, so the timing was right I guess. We went to the shop not even looking for a bike - I just needed a new mini pump, but after some test rides she settled on a Specilized Myka. Its a very entry level bike, but that's what she was looking for (and was in the budget she wanted to spend). I have a feeling that its going to be very quickly upgraded with a SRAM drivetrain and disc brakes (both of which I have some extras sitting around, and she always complained about the shifting when she would ride one of my bikes with shimano bits on it ;) ). She's super excited about it. Unfortunately, the size she needed and the color she wanted (black/lavender) weren't assembled yet, so we have to wait a few days for it to come in from another store and get assembled. Also made sure she got a helmet of her own and a new pair of gloves. In the year and a half we've been together, I've never seen her so excited over something. I'm pretty excited too.

Anyways, not to be deterred about not getting her new bike that day, she borrowed one of my smaller bikes (my slalom bike) and we took a short ride yesterday anyways because it was so nice. There are some nice, mellow trails near our place, and will definitely be a good place for her to learn the basics.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Just wanted to give an update, Liz got her bike yesterday! The lbs was having a spring sale, so the timing was right I guess. We went to the shop not even looking for a bike - I just needed a new mini pump, but after some test rides she settled on a Specilized Myka. Its a very entry level bike, but that's what she was looking for (and was in the budget she wanted to spend). I have a feeling that its going to be very quickly upgraded with a SRAM drivetrain and disc brakes (both of which I have some extras sitting around, and she always complained about the shifting when she would ride one of my bikes with shimano bits on it ;) ). She's super excited about it. Unfortunately, the size she needed and the color she wanted (black/lavender) weren't assembled yet, so we have to wait a few days for it to come in from another store and get assembled. Also made sure she got a helmet of her own and a new pair of gloves. In the year and a half we've been together, I've never seen her so excited over something. I'm pretty excited too.

Anyways, not to be deterred about not getting her new bike that day, she borrowed one of my smaller bikes (my slalom bike) and we took a short ride yesterday anyways because it was so nice. There are some nice, mellow trails near our place, and will definitely be a good place for her to learn the basics.

:clapping:

i love my specialized.

I'm in Burlington, Vermont. I just recently bought a more reliable car that fits my bike easily, so I'm mobile to meet up in the greater VT / NH / NY area, but always have to head home at sundown. Sadly, I'm very much a weekend warrior (as I work 2 jobs for bills and bike parts).

I most certainly fall under the beginner/sport category of downhill and just recently got a xc hardtail, on which I suck some wind... but I'm improving rapidly. Anything I can roll down or up is fine with me, and I've taken some drops before although I try to keep the tires on the dirt.

I've ridden DH at Sugarbush, Plattekill, Whiteface (which is a bit out of my league still) and love to ride at Killington. I spent a day at Highland and liked it, although we stayed to one side of the hill. It would be rad to discover some more chicks in the general northeast to ride and share spills with, as well as learning some trails that I can find again on my own.

I know I met a girl from Winooski, VT while racing dh last season who seemed pretty chill.

Where are you?!

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm in Burlington, Vermont. I just recently bought a more reliable car that fits my bike easily, so I'm mobile to meet up in the greater VT / NH / NY area, but always have to head home at sundown. Sadly, I'm very much a weekend warrior (as I work 2 jobs for bills and bike parts).

I most certainly fall under the beginner/sport category of downhill and just recently got a xc hardtail, on which I suck some wind... but I'm improving rapidly. Anything I can roll down or up is fine with me, and I've taken some drops before although I try to keep the tires on the dirt.

I've ridden DH at Sugarbush, Plattekill, Whiteface (which is a bit out of my league still) and love to ride at Killington. I spent a day at Highland and liked it, although we stayed to one side of the hill. It would be rad to discover some more chicks in the general northeast to ride and share spills with, as well as learning some trails that I can find again on my own.

I know I met a girl from Winooski, VT while racing dh last season who seemed pretty chill.

Where are you?!

I keep forgetting that you guys are up in BTV. Shoot me an email rufusphotography@mac.com or pm me. My wife is getting more into riding, just got her Trek EX8, and my friends wife is getting much better by the day. We just got back from ray's and they tore it up.

We should head out to the colchester trails sometime this week or next and we can all get together for a ride. What have you and Jack hit up so far?

Ryan

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

Where are you?!
Cool. I am located just north of Saratoga Springs. I've ridden DH at West, Gore, Platty, Whiteface, Diablo, Killington, Jiminey Peak, Bromont, and Snowshoe and I have also ridden at Rays. I am an XCer lately (not much time for DHing with a 3 year old but I hope to do more this year). We should definitely try to hook up for a ride sometime. I am always happy to ride with other chicks of all abilities. I too can do drops, but I tend to like keeping myself fairly grounded.