Quantcast

Beginning FR in FROsyth GA

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Sorry to harp on the same old same old......but,

October 9th at Central Park in Forsyth.
Exit 17 400N, hang right, park is .5 mile on the left
Will go from whenever you get there till 12 noon.

We will be cutting the trail to the FR area and laying the foundation for the FR area.
If we get a big enough turn out we may be able to throw in a Tabletop on the back hill.

I know it's early but the support would be great to have, especially with the land manager being present.
We will have access to a dingo and gator.
And free lunch.

just pm or e_mail ( dvntone at hotmail dot com) for directions / contact info

Bring your bike, we will ride afterwards, possibly heading up to Bull Mtn.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I will try my hardest to get there in the morning but can't stay past lunch.
Do we need to bring anything like shovels, rakes, chainsaw? Chainsaw? Did I say chainsaw?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Peete said:
I will try my hardest to get there in the morning but can't stay past lunch.
Do we need to bring anything like shovels, rakes, chainsaw? Chainsaw? Did I say chainsaw?

They will have everything we need fire rakes, McClouds, and a virutal garden variety of ....er..... garden tools The area the FR park is going in is pretty much an open field so we shouldn't need an extra chainsaw.
We may have some telephone poles to cut should we manage to start a DJ but that's about it.

Oh Yeah!
We will have slave labor - in the form of Community Service workers clearing out most of the brush and pricker bushes THANK HEAVENS!!!!!

So we'll concentrate on cutting in the access trail / XC route running at the top of the area.

Thanks Peete

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
cool, how far is that from asheville?or dalton georgia? where is forsyth?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
It's a bit far.....about 30-45 minutes north of Atlanta.
So I'd guess a good 3 hours, less if you haul ass.

It's always fun to watch (the still drunk from last night) community service workers swing McClouds and Fire Rakes. Funny how they never look to see of anyone is standing next to them when they start swinging....

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
OK let me throw one more thought out there and then i'll shut the hell up.

Sky Valley is now closed. :think:
Mansell will be under construction and possibly destroyed this month. :think: :think:
It would be nice to ride my bike then rebuild the same jumps over and over :think: :think: :think:
This place up in Forsyth will be the only legal, approved freeride park and it's only 45 minutes from Atlanta :think: :think: :think: :think:
The more people we get out there the FASTER IT WILL BE FINISHED. :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :nuts:
Next work party will be in early November.

( We will need people that know how to correctly shape jumps )

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
We now have the official blessing from Forsyth County to start building a "beginners" freeride course. This has officially opened the door to freeriding in Forsyth and the Advanced Section planned for next year.

Don't be discouraged by the word "beginner" we are building accorrding to IMBA standards up to a Black Diamond Level. So we will have a few 4ft table tops and drops in this section.

I'll post the details of the proposal tonight so you can see the layout of the two runs approved by the county.

Next work party is scheduled for November 6th!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Intermediate "Black Diamond" (according to IMBA :rolleyes: )
Freeride Area layout.

1) Two log skinnies as qualifiers and to slow riders coming into the park
2) 1-3 ft rock drop off
3) 2ft ladder to 4ft teeter
4) 4 ft tabletop with smaller 2 ft side for beginners - extra long tranny
5) 1ft DJ or doubles
6) Hunchback Ladder
7) Skinny over Culvert and ladder over fallen tree
8) Gap jump over Culvert with Opt-out
9) Rock Garden

Go to the Sorba Freeride Forum for pics of some of these jumps / TTF's as well as the proposal for the park.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
more pretty pictures....

The more help we get the faster we will all be riding. Please come out on Nov. 6th. We will cut the base trail, build the first berm and first tabletop.

thanks
- jon