Quantcast

Behold! A prototype for Tractor:Semi

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Okay, so H8R steered me to this stuff many moons ago when I expressed my interest in marrying fashion and safety. This stuff is highly (highly!) reflective and I am stoked! My intention is to produce shirts/hoodies and eventually wicking shirts (that remain stinkless!) with this magic ink.

The first picture is in ambient light and the second is with the flash firing.

A completish line should be forth-coming soon!

(I hope you don't think I'm shamelessly spamming, I think of it as shamelessy self-promoting, which I might remind is what the USA is founded on)

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Serial Midget said:
Stinkless shirts and ambiant lighting... :thumb:
I'm trying to get this one right. All the manufaturers producing wicking shirts are trying to produce one with anti-stink built in. Jus gots to do the research, the testing and the negotiatinininn' before can commiting

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Tame Ape said:
I'm trying to get this one right. All the manufaturers producing wicking shirts are trying to produce one with anti-stink built in. Jus gots to do the research, the testing and the negotiatinininn' before can commiting
Can you get stinkless in a can? It might be cheaper. :)

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
bluebug32 said:
hey, I really like the design and it's a great idea too. And your model looks a little like Edward Norton...
Thanks! Thats my flat-mate Brook. I just told him what you wrote, and he was like what? And I was like, yah. So then he went, oh. :cool:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Nice job. that ink is spensive aint it? I think I got mine for $115 a quart. but it does go a long way.

I have printed on these

and they seam to be holding up nicely!

check'm out. if you don't have an acount to get pricing let me know. I'll get you there!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
brungeman said:
Nice job. that ink is spensive aint it? I think I got mine for $115 a quart. but it does go a long way.

I have printed on these

and they seam to be holding up nicely!

check'm out. if you don't have an acount to get pricing let me know. I'll get you there!

thanks, I'm all set up though. I need to get the inky-stuff a snazy name like "refracto!" or "Visibilty Enhancer"

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Tame Ape said:
thanks, I'm all set up though. I need to get the inky-stuff a snazy name like "refracto!" or "Visibilty Enhancer"
I figured you were, but never hurts to offer.

yeah a cool name would be SAWEET!:rofl:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Most excellent sir. Glad you were able to bring the idea to fruition.

I need me some new shirts. Please send me a current and future catalogue or walk south 2 or 3 streets this weekend. I'm moving and didn't get to the laundry this week.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
spincrazy said:
Most excellent sir. Glad you were able to bring the idea to fruition.

I need me some new shirts. Please send me a current and future catalogue or walk south 2 or 3 streets this weekend. I'm moving and didn't get to the laundry this week.
moving? Where to? You and the chickie moving in together?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Tame Ape said:
moving? Where to? You and the chickie moving in together?
Moving down to the 2nd floor. Nicer, newer, bigger and on the 2nd flr. Yes, the three of us are making a home (Foster)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Looks awesome, I won't even ask what the ink costs were...

:help:

You get a press yet?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
spincrazy said:
Moving down to the 2nd floor. Nicer, newer, bigger and on the 2nd flr. Yes, the three of us are making a home (Foster)
aww! Thats great man! Congrats!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
H8R said:
Looks awesome, I won't even ask what the ink costs were...

:help:

You get a press yet?

not cheap.

I have a studio/over-flow space across the street from my apartment. Mix in a screwdriver, wood, screws and clips and bam, a 1-color press.

I need to figure out the flash burner angle though. This stuff needs a high cure temp (like 340 f)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Tame Ape said:
not cheap.

I have a studio/over-flow space across the street from my apartment. Mix in a screwdriver, wood, screws and clips and bam, a 1-color press.

I need to figure out the flash burner angle though. This stuff needs a high cure temp (like 340 f)
An 1800w flash will run you $100-$200 used.

Remember that a commercial 120v flash needs a dedicated 20 amp circuit and plug. (pricey if you don't know electrical work)

But yeah, that or a conveyor unit are really the only way to go to get things properly cured if you're using plastisols.

I use a catalyst mixed into my water-based ink and line dry it for dark inks on light colored stuff. I use a combo of catalyst and flash unit for white-on-black.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
H8R said:
An 1800w flash will run you $100-$200 used.

Remember that a commercial 120v flash needs a dedicated 20 amp circuit and plug. (pricey if you don't know electrical work)

But yeah, that or a conveyor unit are really the only way to go to get things properly cured if you're using plastisols.

I use a catalyst mixed into my water-based ink and line dry it for dark inks on light colored stuff. I use a combo of catalyst and flash unit for white-on-black.
I'll have to look into the catalyst option (I know nada), but how do you handle putting down a base coat and the registration for the second color?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Tame Ape said:
I'll have to look into the catalyst option (I know nada), but how do you handle putting down a base coat and the registration for the second color?
Almost impossible for a one color press, unless you tear down and set back up for each garment.

A multi-color press drop the screens in the exact spot on the shirt platen every time - print the base color, flash in place, print the second color, flash if needed, repeat for how ever many colors you have.

A press with a rotary station setup allows you to spin the shirts to the flash instead of having to swing the fash over the shirt one at a time. So then you load and print the first base color, then print the rest of the colors as they come around.

Make sense?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Tame Ape said:
How about "Safety Bling"

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stinkyboy said:
Settle down youngster.

Too late for a redesign on the shirts huh? That's a shame, cause, well, nevermind...
what? what? You've got to get out of this passive aggresive habit of yours.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
H8R said:
A press with a rotary station setup allows you to spin the shirts to the flash instead of having to swing the fash over the shirt one at a time. So then you load and print the first base color, then print the rest of the colors as they come around.
Question answered. I wasn't sure which part rotated.

Do people ever mount the flash in place of a screen? Seems like it could be a little time-saver.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Tame Ape said:
Do people ever mount the flash in place of a screen? Seems like it could be a little time-saver.
No, not on a manual press. The screen carousel has to spin to switch colors. It would be an extension cord disaster. Both the screens and the platens move independently on some presses (mine does this) some have multiple colors and one fixed platen.

Here is a four/four press: (four colors, four platens)

(am I making this more confusing?)

On a rotary automatic press it's different. The screens are stationary, and the platen carousel drops, moves and raises up to the screens. There are screen sized flash units that can be placed anywhere in-line.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I gotcha now. I was thinking of a set-up where the platens rotated and the screens were stationary. In that case, integrating a flash unit in lieu of a screen makes sense to me.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If/when you plan on getting any more equipment (used or not) let me know, I've worked with most of the major presses and equipment out there. I can tell you what to look out for (and more importantly - what to avoid)

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
H8R said:
If/when you plan on getting any more equipment (used or not) let me know, I've worked with most of the major presses and equipment out there. I can tell you what to look out for (and more importantly - what to avoid)
That'd be greatly appreciatted. I'll send you a PMMMmmm later.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
H8R is giving you some primo info. I have been printing for bunches of years, but teaching screen printing and graphic comm. for 6 years now. it has taken me the last 3 years to aquire equipment through school to print professional quality shirts etc. I can not purchase anything used unless it comes from a dealer that sells used equipment etc. at that point its almost the same as buying new. but if you need contacts for used equipment, and "craigs list" doesn't have anything check here. it is the forums on screenprinters.net I have picked the brains of the people on there before, and if I could have bought used found some great deals!

any thing to add H8R? I agree with everything you said!