Quantcast

Being a dick while trespassing

We Need Your Help
This weekend we received an email about an incident between two riders and the landowner of an unofficial network in xxx named "The Cobble". This is an area we are in the beginning stages of determining whether it can be open for public use via relationship between the landowner and yyy. The incident described below is important to be resolved and we hope that you can help us with more information.

--Richard, our host for the bulk of the Cobble trail network was out walking his two dogs on the trails on his land, along with his son's dog who is not used to being on leash. As two bikers went by him downhill, relatively fast, the leashed dog barked and lunged at one of the riders. I believe there were some unpleasant words, but once the landowner introduced himself as such, the riders mellowed. The accosted rider then said he'd been bitten, but wouldn't let Richard look at it, insisting he was alright. Ultimately, off they went.

Curiously, Richard's concern here is not so much the rudeness of the two riding guests to their host. Rather, once Richard's daughter-in-law learned of the incident, she decided that the dog must go; she could not have a "biter" around her two young children. This dog has never been aggressive toward anyone until this incident, but the other family members, all of whom love the dog, can't seem to sway her.

Richard is desperately hoping somehow to find this rider and ask him to reassure his son's family that he wasn't actually bitten. --

If anyone has more information regarding this incident, please contact us. zzz
We would like to help resolve this issue swiftly and appreciate your assistance.

Thank you.

Dickness notwithstanding, sounds like the mom isnt a fan of the dog in the first place.

Is Richard the actual landowner? Or some surrogate? Custodian?

I am biased but blame is present on both parties. Dog should be leashed if it is known a trail (whether illegal or not) has regular traffic. Likewise, the riders should have slowed down quite a bit.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I would have asked to see the dog bite and then pissed on that dudes leg and while telling them to GTF off my land.
Then, I would have told that daughter-in-law to quit being so dramatic, make me a sandwich, and then go take your dog for a walk.
This is why God does not allow me own a lot of land or to be put in any kind of power position.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I would have asked to see the dog bite and then pissed on that dudes leg and while telling them to GTF off my land.
Then, I would have told that daughter-in-law to quit being so dramatic, make me a sandwich, and then go take your dog for a walk.
This is why Dad does not allow me own a lot of land or to be put in any kind of power position.
Fixed that for ya :p

Oh I feel some fat sweater vest joke coming....

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the daughter in law doesn't have to come around.

problem solved.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
My quick thought would be if you were going to open your land to visitors (be it bikes or builders) and then use your land where you've granted other people access. For the safety of you, them and your dogs leash them unless you have 100% knowledge no one is there. In the off chance someone is and someone or an animal in severely injured because you've decided it's my land **** everyone else you'd better be prepared for the consequences.

I have a hairbaby and if I take him someone my first priority is his safety, then mine and everyone elses. If he is close and in control I can minimize him reacting to something the frightens him, as well as moving him and me off the trail. I don't need to waive my dick in the air shouting.

This isnt the case where he was in his private backyard and a person fell from the ****ing sky. This is where he's opened his property to outside people. Be it private but he's done it.

Also that woman is stupid.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
This isnt the case where he was in his private backyard and a person fell from the ****ing sky. This is where he's opened his property to outside people. Be it private but he's done it.

Also that woman is stupid.
He also could just as easily close his land. People riding on private property because their owners were nice enough to allow it should keep that in mind before they get all righteous with other trail users. As proven by this story, you never know when or how you're going to meet the owner.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
"This is an area we are in the beginning stages of determining whether it can be open for public use via relationship between the landowner and yyy."

This implies theres a relationship between land owner and outside parties. Sounds like some people have been there, and others found out. Not justifying anyones actions. Just to me it sounded like the owner knew a core group of people might have access to trails or something there and if that were the case I still stand by my statement about my hairbabies safety.

If this truly is land that no one has ever accessed and nothing have been done there in a legal or acknowledged capacity then that's a bit different.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Solution for the daughter-in-law:

If she doesn't want to be around a "biter" then the bitch can find elsewhere to be.