Quantcast

Being a manager ain't easy...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Any other managers out there?

It likely wouldn't be prudent to post specifics.

Putting up with peoples' BS is quite trying at times. I knew it would be part of the job...but I wasn't really counting on this.

But holy crap why can't people grow the EFF up?? (and it has to be bad if I'M complaining about maturity levels)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am a manager with 26 direct reports.

I'll not complain about my team as I hired all but 2 of them ( I'm just hoping that you really do learn a lot from your mistakes... )

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
At least you are there to put up with the BS. I only see my manager 30 minutes a week and that 30 minutes is him trying to cover his ass for not taking care of problems that have been brought to him.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I am a manager with 26 direct reports.

I'll not complain about my team as I hired all but 2 of them ( I'm just hoping that you really do learn a lot from your mistakes... )
I'm trying....I've only got 8. I only hired 1 of them. But he's good. Working out really well.

And yes. I'm trying hard to learn from my mistakes.....well... as soon as I make one. I'm always right.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
At least you are there to put up with the BS. I only see my manager 30 minutes a week and that 30 minutes is him trying to cover his ass for not taking care of problems that have been brought to him.
That's my situation as well. :disgust1:

I've been a manager at a few jobs. It's alright.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I'm a Coordinator/Manager/Team Leader/blah blah blah blah for a human service organization. Circumstance depending, I supervise 10-26 people....interesting mix, too. I have some good stories but a whole lot of pain as well...

...like when my crazy Secretary was about to be fired so for kicks she calls the NY State Attorney general stating that we committed Medicaid fraud.....they descended on us like vultures. Well, 4 years later, they found no fraud, and she was protected under whistle blower status!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my mother is a manager, has 700something people report to her. and she is a quite the pain in the ass job-wise.
i guess that has to do with with why ii dont like 9-5 jobs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I dont hate teh Mmike...

You do, you just don't realize it yet. At some point in the future you will have an epiphany and your long suppressed hate will blossom. It is a universal constant, you can deny it, you can ignore it but you can not change the truth.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was a pseudo-manager at my last job and hated it because I came into the company at that level and immediately pissed most everybody off. I have a high level of expectations and I had very little control over the entire operation, so I ended up stepping on toes trying to do my job.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
yes, but only have 3.

my bigger issue is that my comangers let their staff get away with all sorts of crap, I just did the tardy report for all 50 of the staff.

One employee had 178 lates in '07 ! (and she has the latest shift -9:15a-6p)

Would you keep someone that had 178 lates in a year?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I'm a production/shipping manager for a roof and floor truss manufacturer. Last week, I had 18 people that I looked after, this week, it's 10. We had to downsize due to the shrinking building industry, and we're losing two more today due to immigration issues. I've had as many as 26, with 6 of 'em on 2nd shift--which I had to also take time out of what I was doing to check on several times throughout the night. I like the action, so I'm not bitchin', but it can get a bit much during the times when it doesn't let up on you like what I described. I think the worst part of being in this position is having to let people go--wether they deserved it or whatever other circumstances, it's never good to have to be the guy to drop the hammer. I think my bosses use me as the assassin because I'm younger than they are and are less likely to get the place shot up by an angry, recently-jobless bandito, than if it's coming from them. :blah:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I work with a dude that hasn't put in a full 8 hours all year and probably hasn't shown up at least 8 days so far this year. His boss is a Canadian so it is safe to assume the pussy will never do anything about it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You have to, by not addressing her tardiness in a timely manner your management team has allowed her performance to become an acceptable standard of conduct.

The issue of tardiness will have to be addressed for 2007 with a clear communication of what the company standard and expectations will be for 2008.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yes, but only have 3.

my bigger issue is that my comangers let their staff get away with all sorts of crap, I just did the tardy report for all 50 of the staff.

One employee had 178 lates in '07 ! (and she has the latest shift -9:15a-6p)

178 instances of being late IN ONE YEAR?

she's got photos of someone w/ PSP's goats.

my group is about 46. right now it's performance review time, and it's tedious.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
You have to, by not addressing her tardiness in a timely manner your management team has allowed her performance to become an acceptable standard of conduct.

The issue of tardiness will have to be addressed for 2007 with a clear communication of what the company standard and expectations will be for 2008.

To be effective all performance issues need to be addressed in a timely manner.

No idea if her mngr writes her up or not, our policy is 4 allowed late's per month.

178 instances of being late IN ONE YEAR?

she's got photos of someone w/ PSP's goats.

my group is about 46. right now it's performance review time, and it's tedious.

plus if you are up to 9 minutes late, it doesnt count as a late.

hot or not, if she was under me she'd be gone

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ice T feels your pain

managin ain't managin ain't easy man

Take a look at me, everything I own's iced out
Manage baby, you can see my wrists with the lights out
This is how I do it, mad bitches and clothes
Godfather baby, only play to my rogues
Step back, hater make a little room for my hoes
Gators on my feet, take a look at my toes
Money is the reason all the real players know that
Godfather lays punks to rest
He got no chance up against the best
I rocks in the East and I rolls in the West
If you don't dig the managin I could really care less
cause it's, pimp or die, pimp or die baby

managin ain't managin ain't easy man [repeat 3X]
managin ain't managin ain't easy..

G-O-D, F-A-T-H-E-R
Hoes start runnin when they see my car
Even though I'ma pro wrestling star
they know I, don't play and I gotta get paid
Everything I wear baby's tailor made
I come into your town and go off like a grenade
And anyone who steps on the mat they get laid
Let me manage or let me die that's the game I chose
Condos, speedboats, and beautiful hoes
Cartier wristwear, furs and gold
And mad cash baby too much to fold
cause it's, pimp or die, pimp or die baby

BIG managin JUMPIN OFF!

GODFATHER's IN THE HOUSE, BITCH!

managin ain't managin ain't easy..
Break yourself bitch!

managin ain't managin ain't - manage or die baby

GRAB YO BITCHES!

BIG managin JUMPIN OFF!

GRAB YO BITCHES!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd like to kick my mgr. in the teeth. Keep that in mind all you so-called "leaders".
My manager is an ego maniacal psychopath I too would like to kick him in the teeth. He made me a manager, in title alone. No one works for me. He thought that like him the ego stroking would make me happy doing a horrible project.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well I now find myself saying and doing things (in pointy haired manager style), that I never thought I'd do when I was a "lowly designer". There sometimes a method to the madness....
The only management experience I've had is managing surly organized crime union types. I kind of prefer that environment where you can tell a subordinate to go **** themselves. But you had to be careful as if you didn't keep a certain level of respect and you cross the line someone would beat the crap out of you in the parking lot.