Quantcast

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
+1. Well, there's that and I only have one friend that rides a bike.
Who is that? I mean, I'll ride bikes with you.....calling us friends is pushing it.

That said a couple weeks ago I waited about 30 minutes for a friend to show up for a ride when he said he'd be there in about 12. It's riding bikes.....it's not a job. It's supposed to be fun. I don't see the big deal in waiting for people to show up/get ready for a ride even if you're ready to go.

Let's not turn riding into a rat race like the rest of our pathetic corporate ass-kissing, drone-like existence too.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Who is that? I mean, I'll ride bikes with you.....calling us friends is pushing it.

That said a couple weeks ago I waited about 30 minutes for a friend to show up for a ride when he said he'd be there in about 12. It's riding bikes.....it's not a job. It's supposed to be fun. I don't see the big deal in waiting for people to show up/get ready for a ride even if you're ready to go.

Let's not turn riding into a rat race like the rest of our pathetic corporate ass-kissing, drone-like existence too.
Like I said, waiting is one thing, being expected to fix your problems as well is not cool.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Werd. I've spent my fair share of time waiting around before riding/skiing/climbing and it's usually not a big deal.

On the other had if there is some kind of time constraint (it's getting dark, pow day, etc...) then it's a different story and I turn into a jerk :D

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO

That said a couple weeks ago I waited about 30 minutes for a friend to show up for a ride when he said he'd be there in about 12.
Seems that you have contradicted yourself good sir, unless there was someone else who said 12 minutes and showed in in 30. :D

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I don't see the big deal in waiting for people to show up/get ready for a ride even if you're ready to go.
A Because it's freaking 90 degrees and 90% humidity by noon. Morning ride means morning ride.

B It's disrespectful. When I tell my friends I'll meet you at X time, I'm gonna be there. I expect the same treatment.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's riding bikes.....it's not a job. It's supposed to be fun. I don't see the big deal in waiting for people to show up/get ready for a ride even if you're ready to go.
If you're talking about a local ride on a day off, it's usually no problem. But lots of times I have to get out of bed early to drive to a ride or I have to hustle to leave work early to make the ride time. I try to follow the agreed schedule out of respect for other folks who are doing the same thing. It's just disrespectful for someone to show up late and/or unprepared when others manage to make it happen.

Of course, things happen, and it's not usually a big problem. But chronically showing up seriously late and unprepared? That sauce is weak.

Plus, I like riding my bike. There plenty of time to BS during the ride, and I'm happy to hang out for a long time shooting the crap AFTER the ride. But when it's time to ride, let's go.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you're talking about a local ride on a day off, it's usually no problem. But lots of times I have to get out of bed early to drive to a ride or I have to hustle to leave work early to make the ride time. I try to follow the agreed schedule out of respect for other folks who are doing the same thing. It's just disrespectful for someone to show up late and/or unprepared when others manage to make it happen.

Of course, things happen, and it's not usually a big problem. But chronically showing up seriously late and unprepared? That sauce is weak.

Plus, I like riding my bike. There plenty of time to BS during the ride, and I'm happy to hang out for a long time shooting the crap AFTER the ride. But when it's time to ride, let's go.
When I was the head coach of a high school team, I came to every ride fully prepared to deal with any issue of my riders. It was part of my job.

Every ride and race I had to pack twice, once for my stuff, then the second time for everyone else's problems.

This year I am not coaching, and I find it a relief.

I'm not complaining about a buddy showing up 15 minutes late, or needing to pump up his tires before we roll off.

BTW, the other detail I'm leaving out is my preparation to ride 5 times a week versus my buddy's once-a-week jaunts.

I need to maintain my bikes regularly which means making time to do it. He leaves it to me to check over his bike, just before our rides.

Frankly, if I wasn't super busy, I would probably do it without complaint, but right now, I NEED to ride.

I am going to have to tell him what the deal is or we are not riding together any more.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
quoted for hilarity.

no wonder he wears tight jeans.

i hate it when people show up late and then have to work on their bike or search through gear bags to find their riding gear.
i show up pretty much ready to go (besides for knee pads and riding pants,) and with a working bike.
you people that dilly dally are just wasting riding time!

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Seems that you have contradicted yourself good sir, unless there was someone else who said 12 minutes and showed in in 30. :D
How did I contradict myself? Matt and I waited for you, didn't we?

EDIT - now I get it.....ok, I waited for an acquaintance for 30 minutes.

A Because it's freaking 90 degrees and 90% humidity by noon. Morning ride means morning ride.

B It's disrespectful. When I tell my friends I'll meet you at X time, I'm gonna be there. I expect the same treatment.

A) SIU,P

B) Get better friends?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
quoted for hilarity.

no wonder he wears tight jeans.

i hate it when people show up late and then have to work on their bike or search through gear bags to find their riding gear.
i show up pretty much ready to go (besides for knee pads and riding pants,) and with a working bike.
you people that dilly dally are just wasting riding time!
you know what i hate? people that show up with a frame and a box full of parts

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
you know what i hate? people that show up with a frame and a box full of parts
lol. do that sh!t the night before in a dark living room full of drunks.
My old roommate and I were famous for rebuilding his bike hammered at 3am the night before a 2-3 day race/ride weekend trip. Luckily it was always his bike and a majority of Friday or Saturday was spent re-rebuilding the right way.:rofl:

Coincidentally, that was the last time he let me build a wheel for him.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My old roommate and I were famous for rebuilding his bike hammered at 3am the night before a 2-3 day race/ride weekend trip. Luckily it was always his bike and a majority of Friday or Saturday was spent re-rebuilding the right way.:rofl:

Coincidentally, that was the last time he let me build a wheel for him.
ive been in his shoes before. either for a race or a trip.
as much as its nerve racking, its kinda fun..in a sadistic way i suppose

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It's especially fun when your friend of Native American descent is over helping in said bike build, and you have bike gloves taped to your head like an Indian headdress, running around making stereotypical Indian noises and pretending a Park rubber mallet is a tomahawk.

I should see if I can find those pictures. I hope you're reading this, Sparky. :rofl:

Last edited:

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
It's especially fun when your friend of Native American descent is over helping in said bike build, and you have bike gloves taped to your head like an Indian headdress, running around making stereotypical Indian noises and pretending a Park rubber mallet is a tomahawk.

I should see if I can find those pictures. I hope you're reading this, Sparky. :rofl:
Ha HA I would love to see those pics.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Varying groups have different dynamics; I have one group I ride with maybe every other month or so. I know the time they quote is arrival at trailhead, someone will have flat(s) and we'll pedal 30mins after quoted time, stopping and chatting. You just have to know this going in & plan accordingly. If you don't like it, find other people to ride with.

My main riding group has a very simple solution for this; rides are posted with pedal times. This means people are clipped in and gone @ the quoted time. If you need 10,20,30 mins at the trailhead of meeting point, plan your own schedule. Otherwise you're going to be riding solo. Sounds cruel but doesn't really happen very often and people learn very quickly.

Finally if your schedule is that tight and/or you have specific training requirements probably just best you pedal on your own anyway.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've had mixed experiences. Ive had friends need to rebuild brake levers pre-ride. Not cool.

Im usually pretty consistent. Forgot my armor once. Rode anyway. Mistake.

Never again. I'd be shuttle bitch if I did that again.
I was so sure there was going to be a reference to me in this post.

I think 15mins is my usual level of tardiness...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
One time I was carpooling to a ride with a friend of mine. He showed up about 20 mins late, and since he had a bunch of unorganized crap we decided to take his car. We were meeting 5-6 other people. Already running late, he decides we need a quick stop. So he can get his oil changed. Before the ride.

I guess my panties were in a bunch that day.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Yea, it bugs me too but it has never been that bad for me.

I keep all my stuff in a big plastic bin so I never forget anything.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One time I was carpooling to a ride with a friend of mine. He showed up about 20 mins late, and since he had a bunch of unorganized crap we decided to take his car. We were meeting 5-6 other people. Already running late, he decides we need a quick stop. So he can get his oil changed. Before the ride.

I guess my panties were in a bunch that day.
J** R***** Is A Prick!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Minor bumpage:

cant handle his fire water huh? :rofl:
Ha HA I would love to see those pics.

pics as promised: