Quantcast

Beirut

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
report I heard was it 'was' a fireworks factory and warehouse.

did you see that blast? methinks there was something a bit boomier than fireworks in there.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Also:
If Nukemaps is even kind of accurate what ever exploded was approx 100kt worth.

That seems like a lot. :fie:

Edit: That can't be right, the Halifax explosion is estimated at 2.9kt, assuming we are still talking about conventional boom.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If Nukemaps is even kind of accurate what ever exploded was approx 100kt worth.

That seems like a lot. :fie:
If it was nuclear, there would be crazy radiation and outfall, small nukes are extremely contaminating, while huge megaton devices (like the Tsar Bomb) have virtually none.

But yeah, just eyeballing what I've seen, looks like a blast somewhere in the kiloton range.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you listen to the audio, that's either fireworks, or every basement dwelling neck beard with an AR south of the mason dixon line LARP'ing call of duty (which would be super impressive as to how they fit that many chodes into less than a city block)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
from the BBC

"Officials are blaming highly explosive materials stored in a warehouse for six years.
President Michel Aoun tweeted it was "unacceptable" that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was stored unsafely."

:eek:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
from the BBC

"Officials are blaming highly explosive materials stored in a warehouse for six years.
President Michel Aoun tweeted it was "unacceptable" that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was stored unsafely."

I just inadvertently found out how to make ammonium nitrate. Probably on a watch list now.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
from the BBC

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but shouldn't it be "unacceptable" to unsafely store even a pound of it?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not anywhere even remotely close to the scale of that, but things that go boom-boom shouldn't be in cities, like this propane transfer facility that went explodey years ago here....

I'm guessing some of the people holding their phones in that twitter link are dead now. :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Can you offer a reference?
I don't know if it was a formal movement. I was at a Christmas party held by one of my moron friends full of his moron friends. One of them was running for local government and had a large group frothing at the mouth to get rid of train tracks in cities after a tanker car dumped it's contents in a local town.

They failed to realize that towns grew up around rail and if you got rid of the trains that meant you were transporting the same good via truck, which is even more accident prone and has even more exposure to people. When someone proposed banning all transport I commented that I didn't think they would survive long making a subsistence living.

Basically a group of people whose heart's were in the right spot, but their heads were up their asses. The same kind of people who buy cheap property by the airport, then want things shut down because of the noise.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not anywhere even remotely close to the scale of that, but things that go boom-boom shouldn't be in cities, like this propane transfer facility that went explodey years ago here....

I'm guessing some of the people holding their phones in that twitter link are dead now. :(
Businesses can be trusted to do the right thing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Basically a group of people whose heart's were in the right spot, but their heads were up their asses. The same kind of people who buy cheap property by the airport, then want things shut down because of the noise.
A lot of that is not fair to the owner. Developer buys the land and develops land for a purpose that it should not be developed, like around airports, it should be industrial, not housing developments. I don't expect every yahoo to understand airport traffic patterns except maybe except for final approaches, but apart from that, approach paths can mean pretty repetitive loud aircraft noise a few miles from the actual airport, so it can be much less than obvious. Then there are things that change, like last year they were doing a runway renovation and doing "backwards" departures over the city, and as one of the worlds major cargo hubs, that means 747s at 2am flying over my house, fairly constant, but they always seem to manage a bunch in the earliest hours and I'm about as far from the airport as you can get in the city. Real-estate agent conveniently "leaves out" any reference to the airport or says that it's "not a problem", then operations ramp up or change, traffic increases over the years since it started a poh-dunk small private plane airport and now it's constant traffic of gulfstream IVs and Boeing BBJs-with residential developments around it. I get the ones that should have known better, but what of the property that is already there? It probably should be bought out by the city and offered for industrial sale, probably should have never been sold to a developer and then you got someone sitting there with their "lives worth" into it...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
:disgust1:

A few years ago there was a movement to remove train tracks that went through cities based on people questioning why someone would build dangerous train tracks through a city.

Some of the same shit here. Literally a railroad town in the mountains that's gotten so gentrified all these yoga moms bitch about the infrastructure that was built 100 years before they were born. Literally the west coast branch of the transcontinental railroad :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Some of the same shit here. Literally a railroad town in the mountains that's gotten so gentrified all these yoga moms bitch about the infrastructure that was built 100 years before they were born. Literally the west coast branch of the transcontinental railroad :rofl:
What's the prize for spotting jbp in the first photo?