Quantcast

Belgian Wheat Beer Choices!

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
Hey guys so I love shock top, blue moon, and Traveler but I was wondering if there are any other Belgian wheat beers that I haven't tried yet, anybody know of any others?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
once you really dive into belgian style beers, you'll never be able to drink any of those again. those are all from commercial breweries, and i find shock top is too sweet, blue moon is too watered down and also too sweet.

one of the best domestically produced belgian wheats i've had is allagash white. you should be able to find it since you are in mass, and it's brewed up in portland, maine.

long trail makes a really good one just called Belgian White. you should have no problem finding that either (vermont brewery).

victory whirlwind is another really good option.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just as a note - blue moon is wholly owned and produced by coors brewing. shock top is wholly owned and produced by coors. both breweries are known for using rice and corn as part of the malt for their other "beers". whether or not either ingredient has made it into shock top or blue moon i'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me considering the mass production these beers now see. corn and rice are used because they are cheaper options to the barley and grains used in other craft beers.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
shock top is wholly owned and produced by AB InBev (aka Anheuser-Busch).
Fixed.

Hoegaarden (Brouwerij van Hoegaarden) is the beer that revived the witbier style in '66 and is considered by many to be the pinnacle of the style.
Allagash White (Allagash Brewing Co.), Ommegang Witte (Brewery Ommegang), Blanche De Chambly (Unibroue), Double White Ale (Southampton Publick House), St. Bernardus Witbier (Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV) are some other very fine examples of the style.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fixed.

Hoegaarden (Brouwerij van Hoegaarden) is the beer that revived the witbier style in '66 and is considered by many to be the pinnacle of the style.
Allagash White (Allagash Brewing Co.), Ommegang Witte (Brewery Ommegang), Blanche De Chambly (Unibroue), Double White Ale (Southampton Publick House), St. Bernardus Witbier (Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV) are some other very fine examples of the style.
While those are some good examples, Hoegaarden is also owned by Inbev :)

Otherwise, he should also try some dark german beers (dunkels). Would probably like those.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
While those are some good examples, Hoegaarden is also owned by Inbev :)
Yep, but I don't think even they could get away with messing up a beer as beloved as Hoegaarden. InBev is (in)famous for buying up the best and/or largest breweries around the world and, in most cases, not changing any of the beers. They may trim down redundant products, but I haven't heard of them ever changing a beer.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
MANY of the brewerys/monistarys in Belgium use cheap ingredients.

I see no reason why inbev can't play along.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Avery makes one called White Rascal that's pretty good. If you're interested in something a bit different from usual, try Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA.

Also, if you like wheats, you might want to check out some Saisons.