Quantcast

Bell Moto 9 Flex - best helmet ever for DH?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
But how are we going to fight over low speed impact protection vs high speed impact protection if this thing does both?!?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Ticks all the boxes?
There's only one box to tick, and that's looking cool as hell. D3 for me.

Seriously though, even a Cipher is ~1245g compared to a D3 Carbon at ~1040g. I'm surprised it's taken this long for multiple-compound helmets to start showing up (and it's great to see) but these are too heavy for MTB use. Looks like the Bell Full 9 that Mo(n)arch mentioned is a better bet at 1050g. Hopefully the technology will trickle down into the lighter items in future.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I have an S3 I wear on rougher trails with no uphill. The D3 breathes better so will wear that more often.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
If you want something a little more exotic (around here at least), try the OGK Kabuto IXA.
Composite 970g (size M/L)
Carbon 930g (size M/L)

Snell approved.

You can also buy a Specialized Dissident or a FOX Rampage Pro helmet. All look good (more or less) all have great fit and all meet the safety standards (I think).

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Well, except for missing actual safety certification for DH use...
As far as I know, ASTM F1952 is still the only safety standard that is DH specific.
Snell Memorial Foundation certification is much more rigorous than the ASTM certification. This got hashed out thoroughly 8 years ago in this thread (http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/full-face-suggestions.183558); punkassean actually sat on the board that developed ASTM 1952

The concern ASTM 1952 addressed was in part because (to oversimplify) moto helmets are so stiff, they were becoming too unforgiving for the lower-speed, lower-energy crashes typically associated with DH. The standard was developed to allow a certain amount of flex in the shell.

At this point, with the ASTM 1952 standard in place, I personally don't think a person can go wrong choosing either direction, and may want to go moto if they only want to buy one helmet to do both. Post-ASTM1952, I have gone back to DH-specific lids and will probably continue that way.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Thank you for elaborating. I agree that going moto can make sense if you want a dual-purpose helmet. If you're only using it for DH, I would personally still go for an ASTM 1952 rated one over one that doesn't conform to that standard. To each, their own.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The Bell looks nice.
Racing bmx in the late 70s early 80s, the only real good full face option was a Moto III. Those could have weighed a few pounds more than any crappy full face today and was hot as hell.