Quantcast

Belle Island Trailwork, Richmond Va.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Rock armoring trail tread...

Boss with his favorite toy....

"Dump it right here on my foot!!"... (That's "Stonewall" Garrett)

"Waddya mean they're stuck?!!"...

A very impressive turn out on an otherwise nice day to ride. Thanks to all who turned out!!!

Those muck trucks are awesome trailbuilding tools!!!...

"Bring da rock!!!"

Crew sets the rock.

"Bring da clay!!!"

Crew spreads and packs clay cap on trail.

JRPS version of "insta-trail!!!" :clapping:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wow, you are actually building trail up on the island? cool! I was kind of hoping this was a come help us thread, not a look what we did thread ... :) Let me know next time....

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
Yea same me and my dad would love to come help, and Mike you need to make a chainsmoke account so you can help me bust Dennis' balls

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Looks like you guys worked pretty hard. It'd be a real shame if someone came along a wrecked it all.

I hope for all of our sakes that the new trails can stay up

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Looks like you guys worked pretty hard. It'd be a real shame if someone came along a wrecked it all.

I hope for all of our sakes that the new trails can stay up
Well so far the trails have stood. I don't know many people motivated enough to move 200 lbs rocks like these. They are also dug back into the hillside 3 feet.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well so far the trails have stood. I don't know many people motivated enough to move 200 lbs rocks like these. They are also dug back into the hillside 3 feet.
I know at least one.... but luckily he's on the "good" side this time. Hell, he can move anything with a bulldozer...

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well i might just have to come down that way next weekend then if the weather holds out.

anyone else up for a ride?? could bring down 2 bikes for 2 types of riding.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Jimmy has been working to add some tech features as they go.

I know they get a lot of $hit for "dumbing down the trails" but they are doing the right thing as far as making the trails sustainable. Then they will have the time go back and add more tech features.

They do have to work within the constraints of JRPS and have to make the trail enjoyable to multiple users.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I just went out there, the new trail looks good, too bad it cut through all the fun old stuff. And it was nice to make sure we COULDN'T ride any of the fun stuff, by putting all the debris in the way :disgust:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Sorry but that was part of the project. The park staff wants all the eroded gullys reclaimed, ie, returned to a natural state, on Belles. Sure it was fun to ride but it was really getting bad as far as erosion goes.

I've lost a lot of fun stuff on the downtown loop and have pretty much given up trying to keep it. They are starting to put in some rock gardens and big rocks to ride on and there will be more coming as the trail repairs near completion.

We'll just have to get our fix at Snowshoe.