Quantcast

Bellingham DH trails this weekend anyone?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I've heard a bit about some DH trails around Bellingham, just not sure if I should mention them on the board since this is the PNW and everything DH is a secret right?? Anyway I've heard about theses trails for ages and would like to ride up there this weekend. If your going to be shuttling shoot me a PM with your number and I'll get back to you some time Saturday night.
Thanks
Jake

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
The road to the main site you are referring to was washed out this past winter. Trails are fine you just have to hike.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Actually I've heard of a few places so i can't imagine multiple roads being washed out but even if they are I don't care. All I do is hike when I ride closer to home. If your going to be up there let me know.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Actually I've heard of a few places so i can't imagine multiple roads being washed out but even if they are I don't care. All I do is hike when I ride closer to home. If your going to be up there let me know.
Drive another hour and go to the Shore. You won't be sorry.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
The main legit trails in Bham is Galbraith. There are a bunch of freeride trails that are fun on big bikes: sst, evo, scorpion, mullet, PT, etc. The WMBC has done an awesome job working with the landowners and building sweet trails. Map.

You used to be able to shuttle trails on Chuckanut mt, but the flooding this winter washed out the road. Double black is a fun trail, but you descend on the road the bottom half, so it's not really worth it on a big bike anymore. Though the ridge trail is a sick technical ride on a AM bike.

I've heard a bit about some DH trails around Bellingham, just not sure if I should mention them on the board since this is the PNW and everything DH is a secret right??
There are some other some other freeride trails in the area, but they are rogue, illegal, built without permission, so you don't talk about them on the internet. It's not about some secret club, it's about not getting the trails shut down. Word of mouth works well. That way you don't have noobs getting hurt riding trails over their head, don't let NIMBY enviro-kooks know where the trails are, and don't expose the trails to tourists who ride regardless of conditions and never give back. Whistler and Van are the mtb travel mecca, and the shuttle trails in Squamish and Van reflect the relentless traffic. Braking bumps, blown corners, deep streambed ruts and chunder.

Not all DH in the PNW is secret, just the rogue stuff. Things are starting to come around with legit freeride spots. Dry Hill, Blackrock, Post Canyon, Galbraith, Collonade, Duthie Hill are paving the way for more legit riding zones.