Quantcast

Bellingham Dirt Jumps

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I heard from a little birdie there will be a serious dirt jump session there tonight to break in all the new work that has been done. 7PM Thurs.
(Mucho props to those fellas that did the work!)
I almost had to change my shorts after seeing the new stuff yesterday!!!!

Later

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I was out there today, there has been quite a bit of work done but honestly not a ton worthy of photos, they are all jumps, youd have to see them in person to see the work that's been done. The new table line to the right is in, still needs work but its in, new enlarged berm leading into that line to help with speed cuz the runin mound is shorter on that side. The big far left line had some work done to it, theres a hip to the left and they split the first line into 3 seperate "sections" kinda hard to explain, also appear to have worked on some drainage.

Not sure what the story is with the hydroseed and drainage work, thought that was supposed to get done but still hasnt been.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I drove past them on the weekend, and they need to be weeded. Hate to say it but dirt jumps kind of need constant maintenance, and b'ham city counsel are kind of asses when it comes to things that aren't for rich people.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Dudes, I don't think you want some sh*thead city worker out there pulling weeds anyway..... and drainage? are you kidding me! It's May, if anything we want to water it pretty much every day from here on out, otherwise it is just going to crumble away.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Ride, there is a hell of a lot more going into this CITY PARK then you think. It's not a backyard dj. While the weather is decent and people are motivated to do work out there, drainage needs to be improved so when the weather does go to crap, it drains... And weeds, the weeds need to be pulled so the hydroseed can come in (if that ever happens).

As for city workers, part of the whole deal on getting the park up and running was that it would be built and maintained by the community. The city wont be sending workers out. kinghami3, without the City Parks department we wouldn't have the park so I would watch your words. The City told us they didn't have a budget for it, and from what I gathered didn't look like they would anytime soon, we knew that coming in. Let's deal with it, get the work done now that needs to be done and enjoy the park.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
So in other words, every time you go and enjoy the park, just take a few minutes and maybe clear away some loose rocks or pull some weeds to help the park out. Becasue, if not, in the end it will only be a few dedicated volunteers who will take a whole day of their time to do all the work at once. Little bits at a time from random people is actually a huge help.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
man i wish i didnt live so far away otherwise i would go and help out like once or twice a week, anyways it would be great to see some pics cause last time i was their was like 6 or 7 months ago

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
cove rider, did you check the DJ site I put together? Again, to be honest not a ton to take photos of. I'll try and swing by this afternoon or this weekend (depending on weather) and snap some shots of the new table line and the face of the big line. I did get a few photos from the changes that were made a few weeks back though, they are on the site.

http://www.wwucycling.com/djpark/

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
mplutodh1 said:
Ride, there is a hell of a lot more going into this CITY PARK then you think. It's not a backyard dj. While the weather is decent and people are motivated to do work out there, drainage needs to be improved so when the weather does go to crap, it drains... And weeds, the weeds need to be pulled so the hydroseed can come in (if that ever happens).

As for city workers, part of the whole deal on getting the park up and running was that it would be built and maintained by the community. The city wont be sending workers out. kinghami3, without the City Parks department we wouldn't have the park so I would watch your words. The City told us they didn't have a budget for it, and from what I gathered didn't look like they would anytime soon, we knew that coming in. Let's deal with it, get the work done now that needs to be done and enjoy the park.
Hey, I've lived in Bellingham for 18 years, I know the city counsel, and I know the parks dept. Props to the parks debt for doing the best they can with what the city counsel gives them, but the counsel doesn't give them crap. They'd been lobbying for the aquatic center since the 1930's an it only just got built 10 (12?) years ago, and they still had cutbacks. I'm not sure if you have any idea how hard it was to get the skate park (most of my life), and without dwaugh we would never have the jump park. The counsel is big on things to look at (rock garden), but not big on things where you can actually do something (pool, skate parks, etc.). Please don't give me crap about it.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Not trying to give you crap, I respect your views, just don't think it helps to bad mouth them. Either way, let's just enjoy the park and put our hours in to keep it in shape.

I'll be out there a few times in the next few weeks if I can help it, and the weather cooperates.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Pat was out there yesterday when I was there, got a lot of work done on that left line. Forgot the camera but Dwaugh, is it alright if I put your photos on the DJ park site? I'll give ya recognition for them. A buddy of mine brought his camera and got some shots too.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
mplutodh1 said:
Pat was out there yesterday when I was there, got a lot of work done on that left line. Forgot the camera but Dwaugh, is it alright if I put your photos on the DJ park site? I'll give ya recognition for them. A buddy of mine brought his camera and got some shots too.
Sure, go for it. You can use those other pictures too that I posted if you want.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Yeah the gap is the same, no work to the run in, not sure what you would do? The far right has the berm added that has been in few of the photos, helps you keep your speed for the tables, that side of the run in is shorter.