Quantcast

Bellingham DJs - Bad Condition!

Mr. Beans

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Issaquah, WA
I visited the Bellingham DJs the other day and was surprised at the condition they were in. Overall they were in very poor condition. Seems like a lot of people on this board where very excited to see them built, but by the looks of them no one puts any time maintaining them.

A few of us spent over an hour trying to get one of the lines running properly. The transitions are rough and pot holed, the pits are not draining, and basically all the jumps just need some general manicuring. Nothing that a little work couldn't fix. My question is: Does someone actually spend time maintaining them?

I am sure people are going to take this the wrong way, but the jumps in that condition make mountain bikers look bad. Let me put it this way, even illegal jumps are in better condition than those. It just confuses me to see people squandering the oppurtunity the city gave mountain bikers. Not many cities have legal dirt jumps, especially in this area. It would be nice to use the Bellingham DJs as a model for other cities to follow. But honestly in the disrepair they are in it would be an embarrassment.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
. Let me put it this way said:
Generally at "illegal jumps" there is a core group that maintains and oversees the overall health of the jumps/trails.Enforces "standards of behavior" of the surrounding grounds ie.trash,volume,parking etc. Without a "trail boss" constantly maintaining and educating ie. DON'T STAND ON LIPS,DON'T STOP IN THE LINE,DON'T SKID UP LIPS,DON'T HUCK AND CASE etc.etc.etc. you have the dj's like the ones at the Bellevue YMCA and now in Bellingham.Most people don't comprehend the ammount of constant maintinance that is required to have nice jumps for both beginners and rippers.

NO TEETH

Chimp
Sep 23, 2004
Im going to western but i dont really kow my way around bellingham. Can some1 give me directions. i have been to the website but i have no idea where puget street is. thank you

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
GO OUT LAKEway toward lake whatcom, the street light past cost cutter/starbucks is puget street, turn left. can't miss them.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Alright first off the maintenance. Everything is still getting underway but yes I hope to get a crew of WWU students out there maintaining it however summer quarter just ended and everyone is now back in town, without school in session Bham does tend to become a bit on the slow side so just take that into account. The next thing, being that almost everything is/was donated, there isn't a budget to get things taken care of out there. And lastly there are guidelines and rules to the park and the jump structures that were setup by the design staff and city parks department, so PLEASE yes if you want to lend a hand and fix them up great! BUT please do not build on that property, I don't believe this is the case here I just want to make that clear, EVERYTHING that goes on there should be cleared with the City Parks Deprt.

Thanks! I will let everyone know when we get a group together to go fix them up, should be very soon, but classes started yesterday so things are still getting going.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
mplutodh1 said:
Alright first off the maintenance. Everything is still getting underway but yes I hope to get a crew of WWU students out there maintaining it however summer quarter just ended and everyone is now back in town, without school in session Bham does tend to become a bit on the slow side so just take that into account. The next thing, being that almost everything is/was donated, there isn't a budget to get things taken care of out there. And lastly there are guidelines and rules to the park and the jump structures that were setup by the design staff and city parks department, so PLEASE yes if you want to lend a hand and fix them up great! BUT please do not build on that property, I don't believe this is the case here I just want to make that clear, EVERYTHING that goes on there should be cleared with the City Parks Deprt.

Thanks! I will let everyone know when we get a group together to go fix them up, should be very soon, but classes started yesterday so things are still getting going.
Thanks for answering for me. :thumb: Lets get a work party soon.