Quantcast

Bellingham is where its happening!

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Bellingham has two big events coming up. The first one is this Sunday with the Mt Baker Hill Climb. This is a very easy ride for all you Rms. From the town of Glacier you pedal a leisurely 4300 feet up over 24 miles. The race ends somewhere in the clouds on Mt Baker. :D The Hill Climb isnt really a race and yet it is because its timed. I saw a couple of guys "auditing" the climb last year.

The following weekend Sept 24-25 its the Broken Spoke. They have posted a map on the web site. I am just wondering if the course is in shape for a pre ride. I would like to hit it up after the hill climb.

Incidentally you dont need a road bike for the hill climb. Quite a few people showed up on mountain bikes. There might have even been an SS in the mix.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
The DH course is rideable - no stunts will be in place until the weekend of the event.

XC course will be groomed Friday (we wanted to wait rather then doing it a few times due to snags and overgrowth)

Also note the arrows on the XC are backwards

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
mplutodh1 said:
The DH course is rideable - no stunts will be in place until the weekend of the event.

XC course will be groomed Friday (we wanted to wait rather then doing it a few times due to snags and overgrowth)

Also note the arrows on the XC are backwards
What do you mean by 'rideable'? Like we can ride it now?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Yeah you can ride it, its a standard multi-user trail in the park. Although I'd ask that everyone continue to respect the fact that there are other users on the trail until the weekend of the event so don't go bombing down it.

None of the temporary obstacles/stunts will be in place so honestly don't think it's worth the drive up from the Seattle area just to pre-ride it but that's everyone's choice to make on their own.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Kind of hard to explain without being able to see the terrain. There is a hip type ramp over a bit of a gully, a few ramp style drops, few feet high obviously with go arounds, a jump in a high speed section that has no lip, nthing stupid but puts you in the air for a bit, should be fun. About 5 or 6 temporary ones we are bringing in, plus a few natural items on portions of it to make it challenging.

Projectpat

Chimp
Oct 26, 2004
bellingham
and on the real, this is the very first year of the broken spoke. they organizers have put in a rediculous amount of effort making it happen. so yeah, be happy you've got a race in your home town! and expect the course to change for next year for the better.