Quantcast

Bellingham Riders

We are considering a trip up there from Puyallup area tomorrow and have some instructions for a few places. Just wondering what the best spot is to hit up? I've heard of snakonia and Galbraith however I don't know what they are all about: stunt trail, hike-a-bike for how long?, shuttle?, etc etc... I guess were going to meet up with a local tomorrow but I wanted to see what ya'll had to say.

Thanks,
Josh

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Galbraith is a large network of trails, some easy, some are more technical... Go to www.galbraithmt.com to see more about it. Snake is a hike up the hill for a long time and then really quite steep on the way down, freeride trail.

Though Galbraith might be easy at times, it is really fun - you can just keep riding different trails until you get tired. You'd probably get more enjoyment there.

dwaugh said:
Galbraith is a large network of trails, some easy, some are more technical... Go to www.galbraithmt.com to see more about it. Snake is a hike up the hill for a long time and then really quite steep on the way down, freeride trail.

Though Galbraith might be easy at times, it is really fun - you can just keep riding different trails until you get tired. You'd probably get more enjoyment there.
Yeah Galbraith seems more my style but I'm bringing three friends who are all about big drops, & stunts. More than likely "IF" I go I'll be filming them... How's the weather up there? Would Snakeonia be worth it in the rain and wet conditions? They are in search of road gaps, big drops, and well built stunts to film and being that we don't have much down here except a few spots they wanted to head up there before they put their bikes away...

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
Snakeonia is REALLY skechy when its wet. There are a few stunts on galbraith but nothing big. I know where some big stunts are pm me for directions

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
did anyone else read in "_____" mountain bike mag, "the best trail in every state"? It said snakeonia was the peoples choice, #1 trail in washington. However, they couldnt let it win because it was illegal. I read this in some mag at barnes+noble.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
How can Snakeonia be the people's choice? Hardly anyone rides it! Serioulsy, have you seen the condition of the trails? They need more traffic. I am really confused... must be an uninformed article writer. Sure, the trail is cool, but it's not the most popular, and for it to be the best, it would also have to be at least somewhat popular.
I'd offer some advice on some more Academical places to ride, but you're already in town. Hope you found something worth the trip ;)

erikkellison said:
How can Snakeonia be the people's choice? Hardly anyone rides it! Serioulsy, have you seen the condition of the trails? They need more traffic. I am really confused... must be an uninformed article writer. Sure, the trail is cool, but it's not the most popular, and for it to be the best, it would also have to be at least somewhat popular.
I'd offer some advice on some more Academical places to ride, but you're already in town. Hope you found something worth the trip ;)
Yeah we were in town and got no love from SuperSlow.... :( Actually we did find the "furby" area and my friend go footage of the 4 big dogs. Then we hooked up with a kid who showed us Galbraith. Definently won't be going back there on a big bike "EVER".

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
"Furby" area? Not familiar... care to explain?
Sorry your guides didn't hook you up, there's not a whole lot of big bike stuff here. All of us here who have them usually either ride the Snake, or drive to Canada for real fun. Otherwise it's an XC paradise. ;) Try Pilchuck tree farm next time. It's not half bad, but it's known to break toes. :(

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
erikkellison said:
Sorry your guides didn't hook you up, there's not a whole lot of big bike stuff here. All of us here who have them usually either ride the Snake, or drive to Canada for real fun. Otherwise it's an XC paradise. ;) Try Pilchuck tree farm next time. It's not half bad, but it's known to break toes. :(

You arent looking in the right places

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
As for the Pilchuck Tree Farms, remember that the Victoria Tract (300th) is seasonally closing on November 1st.
Please respect that so we can keep riding there.
If you mean the Pilchuck Tract(where, Toaster, Foxy, etc. are,) that's open all year round and fun stuff. About an hour or so closer than Galby and produced by the same folks that brought you the Snake...

erikkellison said:
I'd love to share but that decision is not up to me. You might want to ask SuperSlow.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Who did you meet? Furby's Deathbed was a totally secret place for quite a while, I still have not been there, but kinda want to.
What kind of bike did you do Galbraith on? I went on Sunday for a long ride all around the mountain, but I was on my trek this time, though I did the same route on my stinky last time. (I guess, after some thinking, my Stinky is actually not that hard to ride up there. Though there is 12 inches of travel combined, it is stiffer than most people have it, and I get very little bob.)

dwaugh said:
Who did you meet? Furby's Deathbed was a totally secret place for quite a while, I still have not been there, but kinda want to.
What kind of bike did you do Galbraith on? I went on Sunday for a long ride all around the mountain, but I was on my trek this time, though I did the same route on my stinky last time. (I guess, after some thinking, my Stinky is actually not that hard to ride up there. Though there is 12 inches of travel combined, it is stiffer than most people have it, and I get very little bob.)
Well I'm not at discretion to share the hidden location.

Regarding Galbraith...We spent most of the day hiking and filming Furby's so by the time we got to Galbraith it was already late 3ish and we were tired. Thinking we had a shuttle lined up we were sadley mistaken with a tour of Galbraith from some HS kid on a stinky/jr-t. We nicknamed him Mr. America because he was faster going up the hill than he was going down, excuse me, the very small part on the mtn. that kind of heads in a downward way. I felt like I climbed to the top of Galbraith only to climb back down. The trails out there are suited for xc bikes. I felt like we went uphill both ways if you can actually do that :rolleyes: Good thing we found Furby's because if we spent 3 hours driving north to ride "just" Galbraith I think I would of stopped by the bars to try and forget it! I wrote Galbraith off as a good workout, the only decent part on that trail was upper bobs, the rest was like driving the long route to get to Victor falls...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bob's is by far not the best trail on the hill. Also, Furby's used to be a secret, but since I have been told where it is, just havent gotten there yet.

One funny thing I noted in what you said about your day. I have a Stinky with Jr. T and am quite fast at climbing Galbraith, I almost never walk up a hill either. And, when I went to Canada this summer on vacation I stayed in Revelstoke a few days. I rode at the local DJ park and met some locals that were my age. They didnt know my name but they called me America. :p

dwaugh said:
Bob's is by far not the best trail on the hill. Also, Furby's used to be a secret, but since I have been told where it is, just havent gotten there yet.

One funny thing I noted in what you said about your day. I have a Stinky with Jr. T and am quite fast at climbing Galbraith, I almost never walk up a hill either. And, when I went to Canada this summer on vacation I stayed in Revelstoke a few days. I rode at the local DJ park and met some locals that were my age. They didnt know my name but they called me America. :p
dwaugh,

Bob's is what you reccomended before we headed out. I had no control over where we went on Galbraith as this young feller lead the way. We climbed up the death climb area and did several trails that connected together. It felt as if we went uphill both ways until we got to bobs...

Regarding Furby's, I didn't disclose any info on location so it's still a secret. I don't know why you keep emphasizing that it's a secret as I haven't told anyone anything about it. I don't think you were the guy that guided us as I've seen where you live from your videos you make and that wasn't where we started from, although he did live 3 houses down from galbraith.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Yeknomedir said:
dwaugh,

Bob's is what you reccomended before we headed out. I had no control over where we went on Galbraith as this young feller lead the way. We climbed up the death climb area and did several trails that connected together. It felt as if we went uphill both ways until we got to bobs...

Regarding Furby's, I didn't disclose any info on location so it's still a secret. I don't know why you keep emphasizing that it's a secret as I haven't told anyone anything about it. I don't think you were the guy that guided us as I've seen where you live from your videos you make and that wasn't where we started from, although he did live 3 houses down from galbraith.
No, I did not guide you. I'm just saying that Furby's udes to be secret as in nobody but its makers knew where it was, and now they are letting some people know where it is. That is at least how it has been for me bacause I know one of the builders.

I forgot that I reccomended bobs. It's a good trail to end on, but not the overall best. If you go to towers there are some steeper trails, I'll probably go there today after school.
I'd say this:
Stuff below death climb = o.k.
Above death climb = much better
Towers = best trails.

dwaugh said:
No, I did not guide you. I'm just saying that Furby's udes to be secret as in nobody but its makers knew where it was, and now they are letting some people know where it is. That is at least how it has been for me bacause I know one of the builders.

I forgot that I reccomended bobs. It's a good trail to end on, but not the overall best. If you go to towers there are some steeper trails, I'll probably go there today after school.
I'd say this:
Stuff below death climb = o.k.
Above death climb = much better
Towers = best trails.
How much further past death climb is the towers? Lower bobs was pretty much xc, upper bobs had some hits on it and "at least" headed in a downward direction. Above that I don't remember what trails we did but they were pretty much rolling down, then turn and back up, then rolling down then turn and back up. I felt like we climbed more than we got to decend! They should make a trail that goes from the towers straight down!, no turning, no switch backs, no detours just straight down from top to bottom, then that place would be more appealing on a big bike.

Now had I owned a 5 inch trail bike like a heckler or something, I'd be more stoked to ride that place. But for me because I don't live there, a 3 hour drive for Galbraith isn't in the plans for the future. Next time I'm up that way I'll probably lend a hand building and riding a secret spot and get a few runs in on Snakonia or something. I just wish we could have shore like trails down here in Washington somewhere without having to drive to the shore... I know of a few, but they aren't openly discussed and legal like the shore! Kind of sucks!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
NineFingers said:
How much further past death climb is the towers? Lower bobs was pretty much xc, upper bobs had some hits on it and "at least" headed in a downward direction. Above that I don't remember what trails we did but they were pretty much rolling down, then turn and back up, then rolling down then turn and back up. I felt like we climbed more than we got to decend! They should make a trail that goes from the towers straight down!, no turning, no switch backs, no detours just straight down from top to bottom, then that place would be more appealing on a big bike.

Now had I owned a 5 inch trail bike like a heckler or something, I'd be more stoked to ride that place. But for me because I don't live there, a 3 hour drive for Galbraith isn't in the plans for the future. Next time I'm up that way I'll probably lend a hand building and riding a secret spot and get a few runs in on Snakonia or something. I just wish we could have shore like trails down here in Washington somewhere without having to drive to the shore... I know of a few, but they aren't openly discussed and legal like the shore! Kind of sucks!
Actually, lower bob's is the part with the most hits on it, the drops and jumps, etc. That last trail you went on was something else, just a connecter
trail.

Today I was crazy and went on a ride to towers. Towers, by the way, is quite a bit higher than the top of death climb. I went on a trail that goes down from towers called scorpion, it has a lot of skinnies and a long log ride on it. And at one point it got to be as steep as the snake - very steep. And then I want back up to towers again :eek: for some reason I just kept going and going and the uphills didnt make me very tired today. It was a good ride but long.
So, next time get a good trail bike and you will probably love Galbraith.

oh, and on the way that I go up galbraith there is a spot that someone who helped build furby's builds at. He's really good, lives near me, and that is where he builds. He's making a new jump, probably five feet tall with a four foot tall landing and I'm guessing a 20 foot gap. It's pretty crazy I think, mainly because the runway isnt that great.