Quantcast

Beloki out for 'vengeance'

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
He needs to be back on the tour, good luck Beloki!

Joseba Beloki is still on the slow road to recovery from his horrific 2003 Tour de France crash, but the Spanish podium contender seems to be ready for what he's calling his "vengeance."

So much so that the Basque rider is considering racing all three grand tours in 2005 as he searches to rediscover the winning formula that put him on the three consecutive Tour podiums 2000-02.

"One of my goals in this comeback year is race as much as I possibly can and that means I am considering racing in all three grand tours and continue right into the world championships, which are going to be held in Madrid," Beloki told the Spanish sports daily MARCA.

Joseba Beloki has ambitious plans for 2005

Beloki made his season debut in his Liberty Seguros jersey in last week's Tour of Langkawi and keeps a busy schedule, hitting the Vuelta a Murcia, Tirreno-Adriatico, Setmana Catalana, Tour de Romandie and the Giro d'Italia.

"After the season I had last year, the thing that most interests me is simply to race. I am convinced that I have recovered completely from my injuries to the leg and elbow, but I have to come back to feel like a bike racer again to return to the level that I had before," Beloki said.

Beloki suffered through a painful, sub-par 2004 season. Just months after signing a big-money contract with Brioches La Boulangere, he broke with the French team under acrimonious situation over a dispute concerning his preferred antihistamine. Beloki said he needed it for chronic allergies; the French team said it bordered on doping.

Saunier Duval picked him up for the remainder of the season, but Beloki limped through the Vuelta a España and never rediscovered his winning legs. Now back under the tutelage of Manolo Saiz, the GM at Liberty Seguros, Beloki figures racing is the best ticket back to the big time.

"My objective from here to the Tour is to race as much as positive to recover the confidence I had in my possibilities and return to the level I had before my fall in 2003," Beloki said.

More of same at Pais Vasco
The Vuelta al Pais Vasco, one of the most demanding early season races on the calendar, returns this year safely inside the ProTour with a course that once again will provide challenger aplenty for anyone tackling the five-day race.

Tucked in northern Spain's Basque Country region, the race will start April 4 in the surf town of Zarautz and end April 8 in Oñati. A summit finish in the second day at the Alto de La Arboleda will be a decisive stage while stage 3 ends in Vitoria and stage 4 in Alsasua.

The final day features a split stage, with a morning road sector with the finale in Arantzazu and an afternoon 9.3km time trial to cap the race. American Bobby Julich (CSC) won last year's time trial in a close race against compatriot Tyler Hamilton.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lance is going to announce whether or not he is shooting for the '05 TDF on OPRAH tomorrow. Fuggin Oprah, I hope he loses now, Oprah is the devil.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Westy said:
Lance is going to announce whether or not he is shooting for the '05 TDF on OPRAH tomorrow. Fuggin Oprah, I hope he loses now, Oprah is the devil.

Really, he's telling the world on Oprah? LMAO - that's too funny.

I am hoping he doesn't. It's too stressful on me.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Westy said:
WOW he has dropped to a new level all together. BTW I hope Beloki can get his form back, in photos from the TdL he looked like he was going to die. :(

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
come on people, look on the bright side... talking about cycling on Oprah is good for the little cyclists. Maybe, just maybe, a few viewers will see a cyclist and think, "hey, that's cool" instead of, "How many points do I get for crushing him"... then swerving into said rider.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
come on people, look on the bright side... talking about cycling on Oprah is good for the little cyclists. Maybe, just maybe, a few viewers will see a cyclist and think, "hey, that's cool" instead of, "How many points do I get for crushing him"... then swerving into said rider.
The problem is the typical Oprah viewer doesn't hate cyclists. They just swerve their minivans into them while drinking their half calf lattes, talking on the cell and yelling at the brats in the back.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Heidi said:
As for Beloki - his plan sounds like death. I forsee a burnout.
I don't know about that, anyone who is that high up in any sport knows what they're doing and knows their body better than any of us. For him it could just be the miles he needs not intensity. So it that case he can prolly handle it and not burnout. I think he'll be fine, at least I hope you're wrong Heidi.

J

JRB

Westy said:
:stupid: I wish she ate beef so she could choke on it.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
JMAC said:
I don't know about that, anyone who is that high up in any sport knows what they're doing and knows their body better than any of us. For him it could just be the miles he needs not intensity. So it that case he can prolly handle it and not burnout. I think he'll be fine, at least I hope you're wrong Heidi.
Well after having a problematic year, I'm just saying that coming out and putting that much pressure on yourself probably isn't a great idea. Some people strive under the pressure and stress, it just seems to me like he's setting his self up for failure.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
PsychO!1 said:
Yeah, nothing intense about 3 grand tours.:confused:
But if it's miles he wants....that should do it!!!
Oh no doubt 3 tours would kill anyone here, but there's actaully a number of ppl who do all 3 each in a year. You can do it, you won;t win but if what you need is miles, might as well help your team, and get paid more.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Update - Joseba lost 4 minutes today in the first stage of Tirreno-Adriatico. OOOF

I don't know what's worse..the pained look on his face, or the bandit behind him! :)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I thought that Lance already said he was going to do it?

Beloki is crazy, but I can see where he's coming from. My gf is a fast expert xc/dh racer recovering from a badly broken femur and can't wait to get back out. She wants is so bad I would be astounded if she didn't end up much faster. A bad injury teaches you things about yourself that cannot be learned any other way. I'm a faster rider for having blown my ACL.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Repack said:
I thought that Lance already said he was going to do it?

Beloki is crazy, but I can see where he's coming from. My gf is a fast expert xc/dh racer recovering from a badly broken femur and can't wait to get back out. She wants is so bad I would be astounded if she didn't end up much faster. A bad injury teaches you things about yourself that cannot be learned any other way. I'm a faster rider for having blown my ACL.
Hell, look at what Lance did. Came back from cancer...etc etc you know the story.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Repack said:
A bad injury teaches you things about yourself that cannot be learned any other way. I'm a faster rider for having blown my ACL.
Lol. I had a couch say that same thing to me. He also said you can't push your limits until you know what your limits are. He was a cool guy.....jdcamb

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
jdcamb said:
Lol. I had a couch say that same thing to me. He also said you can't push your limits until you know what your limits are. He was a cool guy.....jdcamb

Wow, smart couch...it talks!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
jdcamb said:
Coach... The u is not anywhere near a on the keyboard. Must be some kind of freudian slip. I wonder what it means??
;) you wish you could sit on the couch instead of traning?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
jdcamb said:
Couch or coach? I wish I could talk to my furniture. :D
I found that when I came to sections of trail that were pushing my skills, I had no choice but to commit 100%. 90% means you crash. Give it your all and you do well. Everyone has more skill than they think they do.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Heidi said:
Yah, this thread started before Lance announced it. I was just adding an update to it.
I am sure that I saw him flashing 7 fingers on some TV show at least a month ago. My gf says she remembers it too. I have also heard that LA is doing Georgia again and that the rest of Discovery will be doing a buch of US racing without him.