Quantcast

Belt drive on the DH

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Would it be possible to run something like the Carbon Drive belt drive system on a DH bike?

I know you have to have a frame that you can open up the rear triangle on, so my 303 might work. I was in Whistler a couple years ago, and saw some wild French guy running a single speed set up. I was lamenting the death of my derailleur at the time, and since I don't like the idea of running a tensioner in the rear, I thought this might be an option.

Any thoughts?

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Hate to break it to ya, but im %99 percent sure you will need some kind of tensioner with your 303 as the rear wheel dosnt stay a constant distance from you BB through its travel....if you had something with a concentric pivot it would work....depends on what length belts are avalable too.

There's pics on here somewhere of a dude with a belt drive Brooklyn.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You'd definitely still need a tensioner... and chains are so friggin' efficient, I guess I don't see the big draw to it?

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
i wouldn´t jump on the beltdrive bandwaggon yet, you´d have to run a tensioner and the belts are prone to breaking if bent vertical to their apliccable loading direction. and trying to get a spare one is probably impossible.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not gonna work. The belts have to be under pretty high tension to work right. You're not going to make that happen on a bike with non-zero chain growth and fixed dropouts.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You could use a older style chain guide that has a sprung lower pulley/guide, something like a Goldtec or RooX guide.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Not gonna work. The belts have to be under pretty high tension to work right. You're not going to make that happen on a bike with non-zero chain growth and fixed dropouts.
The carbon cords inside the patented Gates Carbon Drive&#8482; belt offer, for the first time, the necessary tensile strength and high modulus to provide the smooth, clean, and long lasting ride advantage of a &#8220;belt&#8221; driven system in a bicycle application. The specially designed tooth pitch and meticulously engineered sprocket profile afford the belt efficiency equal to that of a standard chain, with the low tension necessary to prevent unnecessary bearing load on other components.
What low tension is though, eludes me.

EDIT: I downloaded the tension requirements pdf and it requires proper tensioning that results in 1/2in belt deflection when 5-10 pounds of force is applied. Far too high for use on a bike with a changing chainstay length unless your tensioner has a massive spring which nullifies the advantages of the belt anyways. Wait, what are the advantages of a belt?

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Belts run quiet and have zero maintenance between replacements. They are common on street motorcycles but they are not used on dirtbikes at all. One of the big problems is that if you were to pick up a rock on the inside of the lower side of the belt and it were to ride on the belt to the point that it was compressed between the belt and the rear sprocket the belt will be damaged. The likelyhood of that happening on the road if fairly small, the chances on a fireroad at Whistler are much higher.

Besides, as it was already pointed out, you'd still need to use a tensioner.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I think you should skip the belt drive and go straight for the flux capacitor drive system. It's been approved by Dr Emmett Brown so it's sure to be a winner.

Why bother with chains and belts when you can use a flux capacitor?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Doesn't someone on here own a Superco with Belt Drive?....

The belt is nice, quiet, and smooth
It's a Brooklyn, and that someone is Woody, who's already been called to the white courtesy phone about 10 times in this thread.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here

Sorry I'm late.
This is an old Mini Link, I rebadged it to give credit where it was due.

If you have a bike which gives you the ability, I highly recommend the belt. It's a bit tricky to set up, sensitive to tension and alignment. The light weight and high tension of the belt mean it never slaps the chainstays (beltstays?). It doesn't feel any less efficient either. You do need a bike with a concentric pivot. Tensioners just aren't up to the task.

The belt I have is made for commuter bikes, so the pulleys pack up in muddy conditions. Once this dies I fully intend to spring for the CDS parts. Their pulleys are vented to let mud out.