Quantcast

Ben Cathro as The Privateer

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I actually think this deserves its own thread. Pinkbike decided to go with Cathro as their Privateer for this season, and I for one think that this is going to be some of the most entertaining DH related content coming out this year provided Covid doesn't shut it down.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Very cool. I was not a fan of the other Privateer series. Downvote me all you want pinkbike plebs.
Season 1 was alright Season 2 felt rushed, jumped about and kind of pushed the sponsored stuff too hard. like one episode was him struggling with a bad result and looking back at the race which is all g. Then the next one was THE PRIVATEER RIDES THE NEW FOX (C) LIVE VALVE (TM) SHOCKS AND GETS A NEW PIVOT CYCLES (TM) BIKE ****IN THE HOOD*** ***FIRE MIDS**** *****NOT CLICKBAIT****

it wasn't even a fucken race bike like just a trail bike and advertising

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I just thought the guy was not very fast and also not very charismatic, so why do I care what he's up to?

Cathro is both, and I'm a big fan of his analytical approach.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just thought the guy was not very fast and also not very charismatic, so why do I care what he's up to?

Cathro is both, and I'm a big fan of his analytical approach.
Which is a shame as he can ride..

Hopefully the season isn't a bust and they stick with it...Cathro should be great on a few levels.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just thought the guy was not very fast and also not very charismatic
I dunno, he seems quickish personally. I think he's probably too introverted to do well in the Privateer role though. All the attention it brought him probably undid the benefits of the training and equipment he was provided with. Cool life experience for him though. If the whole thing doesn't put him off racing I'd expect he'll probably do better once he's back as an unknown rider.

I was hoping they'd put Chappetta on a EWS season - she's pretty mental and just all round good value. I think she'd suit it.

Can't wait to see Ben though - just hope he's not too busy to do his normal analysis vids. They're great.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
it's always good to have hope.....but yeah, no way there's much of anything beyond trying to deal with this virus for the foreseeable future. I also couldn't watch the first round of the privateer, but Ben's first episode was already significantly better, I'll probably continue to check it out

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thrilled to see this happen for Castro, likeable, charismatic and I can honestly say his videos have made me a better rider. Sadly I think this season will be a bust, at least on a world cup level. I am sure we will see him send it for the bois.