Quantcast

Bend conditions?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Heidi or any other Oregonions have up to date info on trail conditions? Heading out Thursday for a long weekend. Upper trails open yet? Farewell to Mrazek?
I'm sure Swede's and North Fork are probably still snowed in.
Thanks in advance. Bend Brewery, here I come! We'll be camping up in Phil's at either the clearing over by KGB or next to Whoops so we can session it.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Farewell is doable if you don't mind a bit of off the bike. Mrazek is in great shape, Storm King, Whoops, Grand Slam, KGB, COD....all that stuff is tip top with great traction. I start a majority of my rides at KGB, in fact, was there just yesterday.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Don't mind a bit of hiking at all. Especially with that kind of payoff.
KGB(Kent's Get Back) is actually one of my favorite trails there. We usually camp off the clearing below the switchbacks in the middle. May camp over off Whoops this time though. So, we can session that more often.
Planning a reverse of the usual Friday. Up to the Helipad and down Storm King to the river. Back up to COD and loop back via KGB.
Saturday will be the big one. Up KGB/GS/Storm King, Do a lap on lower Whoops(Upper sucks..) Out Skyliner to Tumalo, up Farewell to Mrazek to Shevlin, Hit the cut across to the jump line and back to camp via Bens/Phil's.
It's a great 42 miles. Mrazek is just miles of smiles.
Probably hitting Dog /Surveyors on the way back Sunday morning. Done the MRT the last 3 years... Change, you know. I e-mailed all the COTA guys and am hoping to hook up. But, if you're around, look for us. Thanks!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Daz right... :)

Heidi or anyone else.
Details on the Pickett's charge short track location or other event locations for Saturday? We'll probably be up too high over Sector 16 etc to worry. But, would like to know.

Thanks!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Cool! Thanks! I figured it would be down that way. We usually camp over that way and I was planning on being off 300 by Whoops this time. So, that should work out. Weather's looking good and we're getting pumped up. Stop by and say Hi if you want. Thinking about a Whoops shuttle session after the ride on Friday. Just because we can. I've never been able to do it more than once a trip. All rides start at 9:30 a.m. AIS. 5-5 on the radio though.
Thanks again! Probably the Victorian for breakfast Saturday. Mmmmmm.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I wish I could join you, but I have knee surgery Thursday. I'll be out and about at the race though cheering people on. Any plans for beers in town and we could meet up.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Bummer about the knee. Bad time of year. But, I know the feeling all too well being out during riding season.
We'll be doing the after ride brewfest at camp as well as in town.
Probably hitting both Deschutes(because a few people going have never been there) and the Bend as well. (Unless you know of another underground locals hangout) Do you know Foo Foo? (Stobin) He'll be down there with us and I guess is bringing Dirtworld Troy. Probably easier for you to find us than vice versa. We'll generally be avoiding the crowds in Phil's during the races. Maybe 5-5 will work better.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Both those breweries have my favorite beers and are a must for a newbie in Bend. We'll see how things shake out and maybe I'll see ya around.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Bummer that I missed ya. we were at deschutes Friday night and Bend Saturday night. We almost rode over to the race start yesterday but had folks waiting for us at the Victorian. Rode down Whoops/Ben's from camp right before the race.
All I can say is, "Killer weekend!" 102 miles under the saddle and the best trail conditions I've ever seen there. Sector 16/Tumalo Ridge is still giving me chills. Cut over to Farewell for Mrazek and back up Ben's. For staight up XC riding, Bend in these conditions is THE place. Rode Gray Butte on the way out. What a sleeper place! Burma wasn't as bad as I had expected. But, still put my heart at nearly exploding pace. Who knew such an awesome ride was at Smith Rocks? Thanks for the info. Simply awesome weekend.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, I wasn't in the mood to stand or walk anyplace really on Friday or Sat night. I did sit out and watch the short track race, but that was it. Yep, trail conditions were KILLER when I rode before my surgery last week. Glad you enjoyed it!