Quantcast

Bend???

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Not for long with all the money moving there. It won't be long before they can't afford it and have to go someplace else...again. It will become another Tahoe within 5 years. Housing prices that don't make sense, assholes in SUVs who think they own the place. All that cool riding will get shut down, and it will be yet another place people ruin because they don't like living in the bay. What I want to know is where are all these people getting all this money, and when will it dry up for them. My 825 sq ft apt in Truckee just sold for get this..... 850k. At that point we thought of moving to Bend, but after doing the research we are staying in Tahoe. By the time we got to Bend (in a year) it too would be out of our price range. The avg last year was 125-150k and now it has jumped to 250-300 k in one year. When are people from California going to just pay market value. The dude that bought our unit paid double just so someone would not over bid him. What a dumbass pay double instead of seeing if anyone would out bid him on the current offer. We wanted to buy this place, but not at that price. He knew that too and then countered with that offer. ASSHOLES!!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In other words buy slightly over priced propertly there now so you can sell it to cash heavy Californians at extremely high prices in a few years and retire in untrendy central Va?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Expensive is relative though. It's still cheap compared to places like California and Colorado - especially rents. Now would still be a good time to buy some property.

dondon

Monkey
Bend ...Lets see, We just moved here a month ago from Laguna Beach CA. Our Mortage for a house twice the size of the apartment we rented in Laguna costs us $400 less a month here. We bought for less than $200 per sq. ft.

Comming from Orange County this is a bargain, and since we didnt have cush socal jobs and we travelled alot it makes way more sense living out here. We would never have been able to buy in Orange county with our lifestyles.

But thats just looking at it from one perspective - The people, lifestyle, trails, climate, waterfalls, snowboarding, breweries,rivers, forests etc are many more reasons.

As for the DH scene...Lets see you have 2 resorts with lift accessed riding close enough for day trips, (Willamette Pass and Ski Bowl, Hood River) We just went to Willamette this weeknd - $48 season pass or $12/day - Awesome trails, multiple expert/sport courses (Like a mix between Deer Valley, Big Bear and Durango type riding) Constantly building more with plans for 4x track and terrein park this summer -an hour away. Weekend trips any direction offer sweet DH, Freeride, DJ XC options- eg 25 DH shuttle - and Whistler / Kamloops is a within driving distance for a longweekend.....What with Big Bear closing - i couldnt deal with the thought of pushing my bike up fontana in 100degree pluss heat for some Dh races.

Bend has a perfect 40-60 second long 4x track built by COTA -perfect tables, hips, berms, step on step off, whoops, doubles, everything. Also has a couple growing DJ and freeride spots in town and a couple of private spots on private land.

Most of XC trails in town are flattish and low tech but fun - but if you drive 5-10minutes out of town and begin your rides you have steeper more tech riding all connecting with huge trail network. Also plans for new trail networks include feature trails with jumps, berms, drops etc .. so everyone is catered to.

The town is super outdoor orientated - every car has bike racks and rocket boxxes on top, Lots of pro snowboarders, kayakers, rockclimbers, Triatheletes, pro XC riders and now 5 or 6 new pro DH'ers in town, so its a pretty cool community with lots of local aand state seieres and races.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My family and I are going up to the san jaun Islands. I don't know what the highway is called, but do you think it is on the way, or is it out of the way?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dhtahoe said:
It will become another Tahoe within 5 years.

I heard that about bend and sun river 10 years ago.

Hasn't happened.

Far from it actually. Riding opportunities barring dirtjumps still pale in comparison to most areas in California in my mind. Seemed like I could ride most of the xc trails with my eyes closed........plus it would help with the dust. Much cheaper to live though. Most of the people you hear complaining about Bend house prices are from what.....Sisters or Eugene? Come on.

Who knows though. There are tons of people up there with big bikes and the desire to build from what I've seen. It may be a mecca some day but not right now.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Yeah I think I'll stay in a holding pattern until someone clears me to land somewhwere else. Wife has to finish UNR first. Then I think I will look at one of those places in Ione at the Airport. If I'm living in the hills I want less people around.