Quantcast

Bender Broke His Back

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Jesus, the guys ripping on him in this thread are assholes. As pretty much everyone knows, i am about the last guy who supports hucking one's self off a cliff, but c'mon, this REALLY isn't the time or the place.

I met him when i raced/hung out at risse. He was a genuinely nice guy, and I hope he pulls through this ok. Maybe he will have a little more self preservation after something as devastating (injury wise) as this. Get well soon.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Bender is a crazy one but not some vagabond stoner whack-job, he puts himself in life threatening positions all the time as do I and every monkey when we ride, his are just more obvious, so stop the hate and lets hope he gets better. By the way Thrillseeker, most of you pro heros light up now and then. I don't condone it but it happens.

Nov 17, 2005
michigan
why would anybody down bender????step back and listen to yourselves. im ashamed to be a biker when i hear people say the negative kind of comments used in this thread. for everyone that had something bad to say, how would you like it if you broke your back and people started calling you an idiot and that you sucked. is everyone on here in 5th grade? it seems like more times than not, people on ridemonkey seem to have napoleon complexes and think that they are better than everyone else. i dont care if you can do a triple back flip or land a 50 foot drop, does that make you better than someone who cant? no , it doesnt. i think bender and all the biking video guys are great, because i sit at home and watch them ride for inspiration and what they do is cool, weather they land a jump or not, its still fun to watch. by the way, "odoyle rules"

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
dontlikemonkeys said:
is everyone on here in 5th grade? it seems like more times than not, people on ridemonkey seem to have napoleon complexes and think that they are better than everyone else.
Did you happen to notice that the vast majority of people in the thread are wishing Bender the best? There are only a couple assholes in this thread... although you might have just upped that number by one.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
dontlikemonkeys said:
why would anybody down bender????step back and listen to yourselves. im ashamed to be a biker when i hear people say the negative kind of comments used in this thread. for everyone that had something bad to say, how would you like it if you broke your back and people started calling you an idiot and that you sucked. is everyone on here in 5th grade? it seems like more times than not, people on ridemonkey seem to have napoleon complexes and think that they are better than everyone else. i dont care if you can do a triple back flip or land a 50 foot drop, does that make you better than someone who cant? no , it doesnt. i think bender and all the biking video guys are great, because i sit at home and watch them ride for inspiration and what they do is cool, weather they land a jump or not, its still fun to watch. by the way, "odoyle rules"
Actually its been like 3 people that had been acting like dorks. The other 99% have been suporting Bender and wishing him to heal.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I forgot this in my last post. Does anybody know what Bender was riding, I know he doesn't ride Banshee anymore and I've heard both Canfeild and Ellsworth. Not pertinant to this thread but cool info none the less.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
maxyedor said:
I forgot this in my last post. Does anybody know what Bender was riding, I know he doesn't ride Banshee anymore and I've heard both Canfeild and Ellsworth. Not pertinant to this thread but cool info none the less.

Ellsworth dare

Nov 17, 2005
michigan
"There are only a couple assholes in this thread... although you might have just upped that number by one." see what i mean? was that necesary? man you ridemonkeys are SENSITIVE

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Sorry to interrupt all the "Bender sucks/rules" babble, but what does M.C. mean referring to the drop in the pics that Downhiller linked to?

That looks a lot like the one he did in Disorder IV (I think?) that he came a little short on. Also looks from the last picture that he would have landed short but he's on his Dare and not the Stab. I'm talking about the last two pictures in the series in the link above by the way.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
THRILLSEEKA said:
Kay, I'm definately not one to follow bender's "career" but are you saying Bender's on an Ellesworth????

I saw him on a Dare a couple of weekends ago. He also had some secret weapon Canfield sitting outside of Zion cycles as well.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
I can't even keep up this thread!

I've ridden with Josh. He didn't know me from crap. I called him out of the blue and asked him to ride with me and a friend. He did. The day is to never be forgotten. Yeah, he does light up... a lot. He also is humble, and offered us beer, red bulls, and a drag from his best bud. He also showed us around, guided us on trails that are (were) brand new... and before most of the world even knew about them (Ever heard of Ernum?). Anyhoo, its sad that he hurt himself, but he's not a bad person. He forged through the best of mtn biking in the early years of hucking, but just doesn't have the skills that some of the other pro's have. I see him struggling to keep a name for himself, but regardless,.... he's just a great kid that likes to ride bikes.

SCARY

Not long enough
I don't retract anything I said-but I also do not wish him Ill..er either.I hope he has a good recovery-enough to realize that no one will ever stick that landing.And raking out a landing strip isn't gonna change the tranny by 20 degrees.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
THRILLSEEKA said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not THRILLED to hear he got hurt. It sucks that he got hurt...HOWEVER: This is a lot like watching the 4 drunk idiots playing Russian Roulette at a party. I watched one of my best friends of 14 years spray his brains all over his pregnant and crying GF because some kid told him he was a pussy if he didn't do atleast one round. It took me about an hour to get over the sadness, she hated him instantly. Bender is doing the same thing, only the dumb die slowly. So why should I sit here and go "Oh my gosh, the guy who still hasn't learned that he can't land anything got hurt??? Wow. What a shocker." F_ck that, I've got worse things to worry about.
If you were such a friend, then why didn't you try to talk him out of it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Alright... just finished reading all ten pages.........Anywho......To Josh Bender i say Damnit that blows, i will say a prayer for your recovery, and for speedy healing, i personally hope for a good outcome for you........ Now for anyone talking crap man thats just wrong....i hope i can be tehre when the crap talkers crash and get hurt....Most people dont know him... a handfull have met him... seems there are a few here that have gotten to know him.....He rides... yes we all get lumped together as riders...But this person inparticular does what he loves to do....Ill take Bender over alot of the other Pros....Bender doesnt have Huge sponserships.... He doesnt get hugs paydays.... He has to work for a living like most of us do, and to do that and still make a anme for yourself, Damn you have to give respect to that...Was this Inevetable<Spelling>? Maybe, Maybe not....There is Always risk on anybike you ride... there is always chance....My Brother lost his spleen on what seems a very small crash when losing air in his front tire and washing into a small maybe a foot high jump. It can happen at anytime to anyone of us. Dont hate on the man Specially When is is out and injured. And even more so if you dont actually Know him. Get well Bender..... i hate seeing someone Hurt...Even if i dont know them Get well ride again...
________
Vaporizers

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
DirtyMike said:
My Brother lost his spleen on what seems a very small crash when losing air in his front tire and washing into a small maybe a foot high jump. It can happen at anytime to anyone of us. Dont hate on the man Specially When is is out and injured. And even more so if you dont actually Know him. Get well Bender..... i hate seeing someone Hurt...Even if i dont know them Get well ride again...
You're right maybe its better to have an acciden't doing what you love, rather than getting hurt in a party getting wasted, or even worst getting kill by a drunk driver... Got to enjoy life, and if Bender thinks that by doing this kind of sick drops he is enjoying himself, let the guy do it.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
wow i come back a few days later 1 page turned to ten

rider abuse sucks ass, and as to his lack of style-thers are some pics of him doin HUGE backflips,some friend of mine has a poster of it that was in a decline

RESPECT

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i think if he will drop that 100footer it will never do it, i think that 200mm on front and 220 in rear (i dont know how much dare have in rear) is not enough, if 13inch in rear and 12 on front on jah drop isnt enough for 55footer , hell 100 will never do it (he die probably)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Downhiller said:
i think if he will drop that 100footer it will never do it, i think that 200mm on front and 220 in rear (i dont know how much dare have in rear) is not enough, if 13inch in rear and 12 on front on jah drop isnt enough for 55footer , hell 100 will never do it (he die probably)
It's not all about travel.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
By no means am I HAPPY he's hurt, nor do I wish evil thoughts upon him....it's just hard to feel sorry for him.

Say ""Steve" douses himself in gasoline and drops a lit match in his lap....

"Whoah....did you hear about Steve? Yeah man...he was pretty badly burned in an accident...Man ya just never know when something can happen...but hopefully he'll heal up quick so he can get back to dousing himself in gasoline and droping lit matches in his lap."

MTNPSYCHO

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Peabody, Mass
I just read all 11 pages, and I have to say, this has got to be one of the most shamefull threads ever.....so many people rag on Bender because he has the biggest crashes in history on film, so people have to say he cant ride.....dont you think they put those crashes in because they are so spectacular? And he mostly walks away from all of them with relatively minor injuries, at least til now...after all these years, and all the bad crashes, he is still living in a van, and doing it regardless of what anyone thinks or says...riding is not a hobby for him, he rides at the most extreme level and eats, breaths, and sleeps riding.....sure. some of his drops have been kinda dumb, but countless others have been in full control, huge, and very impressive...maybe you havent seen him pull a perfect nofooter over a 40 foot ravine, or a huge backflip over a double, or landing drops that 99.5% of the riding public would never try in the first place....I dont see anyone else dropping this stuff alongside Bender.....

Bottom line is the guy does what he loves, and got hurt, pretty seriously, and its time to put your stupid insecurities aside and pray for the guy....possibly the dumbest thing in this thread is Thrilllseeka comparing an idiot blowing his brains out with a loaded gun in front of his pregnant wife and friends, traumatizing everyone involved, playing the dumbest game in mankinds history, to a guy trying to push the limits of himself and a sport(bikeriding at that) and getting hurt in the process.....
Mostly the only people who bag on Bender are the fools ignorant enough to think that all he does is crash, and thinks those crashes in the movies encompass all of his riding....
Jeez, you would think that after a life changing incident like watching a friend blow his brains out in front of his friends and family would make a person realise that life is short and getting upset over things like someone else smoking weed while riding is pretty dumb....Kharma exists, and Thrillseeka, you are in trouble:oink:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
MMike said:
By no means am I HAPPY he's hurt, nor do I wish evil thoughts upon him....it's just hard to feel sorry for him.
too bad alot of people dont understand that concept, i guess a bleeding heart takes much needed oxygen away from the brain. No one around me feels sorry when i'm limping for a couple of days after a bad crash, and i think i'd be downright disowned if i ended up like most daredevils do in the end.

and of course he will bounce back and we can look foward to future threads:dead:

downhill66

Monkey
Aug 23, 2005
doing somthing....
MTNPSYCHO said:
I just read all 11 pages, and I have to say, this has got to be one of the most shamefull threads ever.....so many people rag on Bender because he has the biggest crashes in history on film, so people have to say he cant ride.....dont you think they put those crashes in because they are so spectacular? And he mostly walks away from all of them with relatively minor injuries, at least til now...after all these years, and all the bad crashes, he is still living in a van, and doing it regardless of what anyone thinks or says...riding is not a hobby for him, he rides at the most extreme level and eats, breaths, and sleeps riding.....sure. some of his drops have been kinda dumb, but countless others have been in full control, huge, and very impressive...maybe you havent seen him pull a perfect nofooter over a 40 foot ravine, or a huge backflip over a double, or landing drops that 99.5% of the riding public would never try in the first place....I dont see anyone else dropping this stuff alongside Bender.....

Bottom line is the guy does what he loves, and got hurt, pretty seriously, and its time to put your stupid insecurities aside and pray for the guy....possibly the dumbest thing in this thread is Thrilllseeka comparing an idiot blowing his brains out with a loaded gun in front of his pregnant wife and friends, traumatizing everyone involved, playing the dumbest game in mankinds history, to a guy trying to push the limits of himself and a sport(bikeriding at that) and getting hurt in the process.....
Mostly the only people who bag on Bender are the fools ignorant enough to think that all he does is crash, and thinks those crashes in the movies encompass all of his riding....
Jeez, you would think that after a life changing incident like watching a friend blow his brains out in front of his friends and family would make a person realise that life is short and getting upset over things like someone else smoking weed while riding is pretty dumb....Kharma exists, and Thrillseeka, you are in trouble:oink:
you dont even know how much i agree with you. your so right.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Poor guy, That sucks. I broke my back riding. It was the scariest thing I've ever been through. The back Spasams I initially felt were horribly painful. I never want to wish that feeling on anyone. I hope Bender gets better soon.