Quantcast

bender's canfield

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
seismic said:
....by the way. Considering this "big drop machine" what is the reason for the 26" setup versus a 24" ?
He has Diatech hubs.
A 26" wheel is less likely to hang up on edges or on landing. Just the standard 24 vs 26 debate.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Kevin said:
I give the seat about two minutes.
Other then that, thats a sweet bike though, built for what its supposed to do without compromising and it still looks a bit like a racebike in a way. It even reminds me of a BB7 a bit.
Props to Bender for steppin it up. Our world would be a more boring one without hero's like him.
Well it already passed the two minute mark. I was riding it with the seat that high, I'm 6' tall . He has the seat all the way down so I doubt he will have any problem. But then again, it is Bender where talking about so.....

The weekend with him was far from boring, cheers bender.

BTW anyone know Kirk? Seperated his foot over the weekend on Folgers by Basalt. I didn't need to see that!

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I would love to see his bike with an Avy MTN-10. I think it would be better when it comes to preventing bottoming out hitting big stuff. To me it seems that the Super Monster lacks some kind of bottoming out cone /system when talking Bender size drops.....and the bike would look awesome avy equipped...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
mhm i really love my canfields everybody should go and buy one! ;)

you wont be disapointed :)

except for manualing which will be tougher then on most other bikes :)

edit: and benders Fatty Fat looks super sick...

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
UiUiUiUi said:
mhm i really love my canfields everybody should go and buy one! ;)

you wont be disapointed :)

except for manualing which will be tougher then on most other bikes :)

edit: and benders Fatty Fat looks super sick...

I can't remember.....you have both a F1 and a FattyFat ?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Hmmm, - the FattyFat is super pimp. Thinking about getting one some day. I would use it most for hard freeride. How is the suspension ? Is it very progressive?

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Sherpa said:
When has Bender ever done anything heroic?
I think the term aplies to Bender- no?

In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.
A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.
A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine. See Synonyms at celebrity.

flymybike said:
I think the term aplies to Bender- no?

In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.
A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.
A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine. See Synonyms at celebrity.
Cmon, i think thats going a little far. Guys got balls of steel, but that doesn't make him heroic for dropping stuff he can't land. Stupid if anything.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I get a kick out of threads where as soon as Bender's name comes up, people get redirected and start arguing about if he's a hero or not.

That custom bike looks good!! I used to want one of those Fatty Fat bikes sooooo badly!!! It was on my list of the dream bikes to get along with the Clifcat Holeshot and Karpiel Army.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
AR_ said:
Cmon, i think thats going a little far. Guys got balls of steel, but that doesn't make him heroic for dropping stuff he can't land. Stupid if anything.
:stupid: I know Bender rides well, and can land HUGE drops. But, when i think of heroic, i think of 9/11 firefighters, soldiers, emergency room dr.s, etc. Hardly anyone to be grouped with Bender. But thats just my opinion.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
AR_ said:
OK maybe hero is a little strong but you are somewhat mistakin saying that he can't land. He did land a 40+ footer. I would say less that a handfull of people have done that. Just saying, not flamin.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
ok people.

the day any of you can leap off anything bigger than your egos is the day you can judge Josh. The guy eats and sleeps mountain biking. To equal his abilities you too would have to move into red rock country and live off of kraft dinner and spend all day climbing up and hucking off and finding sweet lines. You also must swallow your pride along with that ego and become someone seeking fullfillment not notariety. It just turned out that way for him.
I respect him even when he does the impossible and fails. Then again he lands most of them and he is no out o shape ball o fat evil F'n kinnevil.

I truly think that the reason he gets kicked by Americans so much is that he is living their dream that they do not fullfill and he is a canuck. maybe i am way off....but then again maybe not. We bash him for leaving. If he stayed in BC and raced DH etc. he had a chance of advancing and creating a lucrative position in the bike world. I guess being poor counts for nothing. Maybe if he was rich and had a TEAM sponsorship.........face it dude still lives in the hills by himself and his dog.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
I thought he was from Alaska. I know he was in Bend OR before Virgin. Back in the Down days.

Good point though. Most of us here just wish we could be living the MTB dream.

Zia Monkey

Chimp
Nov 12, 2004
So I was riding in Silverton last friday and Bender is doing their trail building again this year. Anyway, second run of the day Bender broke his bike casing a double at the bottom of Chicken F-ker. It was broke on the vertical bar between the chain and seat stay. There was a inch long section of material missing. I'll post pics after lunch.

Silverton was sweet. The lift was a little slow but worth it.

Zia Monkey

Chimp
Nov 12, 2004
Yup, In Aspen. Pics are on the way. I might need someones email address to post them for me if they don't show up. Im a newbie.