Quantcast

Beneke vs. Weir

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I sat down and talked with Jurgen at a Snowshoe race in 06 while we waited to start. I remember him from his WC days and it was beyond cool to sit and talk to him just like regular guys. We had a good laugh when he tried to explain to a young gun why he only used 4" travel bikes (and not 8"-9" bikes) back in the day on the WC circuit.

My vote is for Jurgen.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I've never met Weir, but the personna he displays in public makes him come across like a D-bag in my opinion. Jurgen, on the other hand, couldn't be a nicer, more down to earth guy. Back when he was still kicking ass on the WC circuit and was a full factory rider for the powerhouse Giant team (98 or 99), he randomly showed up at an early season Plattekill race. Not only did he destroy the pro field, he hung out in the parking lot with a bunch of schmoes like me, drank a few beers, and was just generally a super cool guy to hang out with.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I could care less about their little feud, but i have too many good memories associated with Beneke not to root for him. Hell, in the glorious nineties he was even on tv regularly, giving advice on riding technique on his old Manitou. To this day my friends still refer to manualing before a drop as a "Beni" since he showed us how it was done.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Beneke - just rode some trails in his "backyard" of Kingston, NY where he is known to ride. We were hoping to spot him powering over the shale rock piles, but he is allusive as Bigfoot!

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
day in the life of Weir: "Sunrise to 9:30 a.m.: Answers e-mails from magazines, the city of Novato, and fans, usually about the pump track."

aaha wtf, that must be exciting "wow mark, you are my favorite! I saw you riding a pump track, how do you do that!? How many bumps are on the pump track in total? Do you use dirt with worms in it or clay with bugs!?"

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
day in the life of Weir: "Sunrise to 9:30 a.m.: Answers e-mails from magazines, the city of Novato, and fans, usually about the pump track."

aaha wtf, that must be exciting "wow mark, you are my favorite! I saw you riding a pump track, how do you do that!? How many bumps are on the pump track in total? Do you use dirt with worms in it or clay with bugs!?"
Yeah that made me laugh. I remember he was at SVT one day and wouldn't hit anything and people were making fun of him. I'm wondering who all these fans are.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Too bad this is so negative and full of tension. You know you can have a friendly rivalry that is just as significant but not as likely to start a fight. Rivalries are cool but that article makes this out to me negative. Get over it you two, racings racing. Two amazing riders should be lifting each other up, not tearing themselves and the sport down with it. COME ON!
Side note, Weir will probably continue to dominate...along with Moeschler. Beneke sounds like a cool guy and a bad ass rider, best of luck!

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Jurgen, on the other hand, couldn't be a nicer, more down to earth guy. Back when he was still kicking ass on the WC circuit and was a full factory rider for the powerhouse Giant team (98 or 99), he randomly showed up at an early season Plattekill race. Not only did he destroy the pro field, he hung out in the parking lot with a bunch of schmoes like me, drank a few beers, and was just generally a super cool guy to hang out with.
Still the same. Great guy:clapping:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
LoL...

Just read the article.

Should we be taking this supposed "serious" rivalry seriously?

I'm kinda laughing a bit here - I don't really see these guys getting that much in each other's faces. The both seem pretty cool.

Maybe this is a bit tounge-in-cheek, or just two guys tooling around with each other through a bit of trash talk?

Both are kickass riders...

...but after seeing, hearing, and feeling Jurgen make the ground rumble charging rock gardens on his V-10 at Diablo Domination races in 06' I'd have to put my money on Beneke.

:biggrin:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Jesus what a bunch of church wives some of you guys are. Jurgen should punch Weir right in the balls, and Weir should bite Jurgens ear off and wear it around his neck.

"they shoudl be lifting each other up?" What the hell does that even mean?

F THAT. Its about time the sport had SOME semblance of personality. What is there right now? Nothing. The "characters" of the sport are subdued, quiet, barely visible. Sure they have thier parts in vids and races but really, wheres the personality? Wheres the sideshow?

Bring on the damn circus.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
I am pretty sure this is joke so people like you guys on RM will talk about it and bring it attention. Hype that's what this industry is all about!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm pretty sure Weir's job description has something like "must be able to trash talk rivals and anyone within ear shot for 30 minutes or more" written in it. He has some pretty amazing things come out of his mouth, but I don't think I could take any of it very seriously.

On the other hand, bring on the rivalries! We need more of that, especially if you can get big brands in the industry (like sram) to help fund it.

Jonnyc

Chimp
Oct 20, 2005
Jesus what a bunch of church wives some of you guys are. Jurgen should punch Weir right in the balls, and Weir should bite Jurgens ear off and wear it around his neck.

F THAT. Its about time the sport had SOME semblance of personality. What is there right now? Nothing. The "characters" of the sport are subdued, quiet, barely visible.

You should also add, can barely form proper sentences in conversation

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension

F THAT. Its about time the sport had SOME semblance of personality. What is there right now? Nothing. The "characters" of the sport are subdued, quiet, barely visible. Sure they have thier parts in vids and races but really, wheres the personality? Wheres the sideshow?

Interesting perception, immaturity=personality. It's like a high school fight vs. cage fighting. Cage fighting brings the level of all fighters up and brings attention from outsiders to new levels. High school fights incite idiocy and escalation and only involve the friends of the fighter involved. Gimme a break, if you want outside attention try marketing it to people OUTSIDE of the industry. What a concept. That's why this industry is inbred, cuz that's who we do it to. Imagine this...The Battle of the century, two weathered warriors that have suffered more blood and sweat than any gladiator of his day duking it out for the title of Greatest All Mountain Gladiator in Classic Downieville California. Involve some lightning and some cool effects and put it on espn for a week straight. Tell both of the guys back stories and build the "fight" up. Talk about the suffering and carnage of the downieville classic with some of the history of the town including all the hangings and gnarly gold fights that used to go down. Bring some of the character into the "rivalry" and use some real money and make it happen, have some confidence in the story and the fact that our sport kicks some serious astronaut. That's what raising each other up means, sorry you're so closed minded. :shocked:Ever heard of outside the box? Maybe you need to go to church and worship someone other than yourself. My church is the circus, your welcome to come anytime.

Jonnyc

Chimp
Oct 20, 2005
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
has way to much free time and too much invested. Please don't snap an shoot people.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Interesting perception, immaturity=personality. It's like a high school fight vs. cage fighting. Cage fighting brings the level of all fighters up and brings attention from outsiders to new levels. High school fights incite idiocy and escalation and only involve the friends of the fighter involved. Gimme a break, if you want outside attention try marketing it to people OUTSIDE of the industry. What a concept. That's why this industry is inbred, cuz that's who we do it to. Imagine this...The Battle of the century, two weathered warriors that have suffered more blood and sweat than any gladiator of his day duking it out for the title of Greatest All Mountain Gladiator in Classic Downieville California. Involve some lightning and some cool effects and put it on espn for a week straight. Tell both of the guys back stories and build the "fight" up. Talk about the suffering and carnage of the downieville classic with some of the history of the town including all the hangings and gnarly gold fights that used to go down. Bring some of the character into the "rivalry" and use some real money and make it happen, have some confidence in the story and the fact that our sport kicks some serious astronaut. That's what raising each other up means, sorry you're so closed minded. :shocked:Ever heard of outside the box? Maybe you need to go to church and worship someone other than yourself. My church is the circus, your welcome to come anytime.
thats right. I forgot things like the UFC have become so massivly popular due to the complete LACK of immature, entertainingly stupid taunts and name calling.

Get real.

Sports don't succeed anymore based on "honor, sportsmanship and the glory of competition."

People want to see gladiators. They don't go see Toronto vs Montreal hockey games because its a wonderful tradition. They go to see teams that want to destroy the other. You think Tyson would have been nearly as successful or entertaining if he was all about commenting about how wonderful a human being his opponent was?

Beneke vs Weir. Full on battle at Thunderdome. Give em both chainsaws and send them down the trail. Ten minute press confrences to insult each other. Then, take it to the trail. Guaranteed its a hell of a lot more entertaining then the weak spectacle mountain biking is now. Look at Motocross. All the skills, 14x the personality. And it works.

Sam Hill, get pissed, eat a kid on the sideline, and make the course cry. Steve Peat, get ripped and break rocks in half. Rennie, stop mid course and beat up a bear.

Giv'er.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
thats right. I forgot things like the UFC have become so massivly popular due to the complete LACK of immature, entertainingly stupid taunts and name calling.

Get real.

Sports don't succeed anymore based on "honor, sportsmanship and the glory of competition."

People want to see gladiators. They don't go see Toronto vs Montreal hockey games because its a wonderful tradition. They go to see teams that want to destroy the other. You think Tyson would have been nearly as successful or entertaining if he was all about commenting about how wonderful a human being his opponent was?

Beneke vs Weir. Full on battle at Thunderdome. Give em both chainsaws and send them down the trail. Ten minute press confrences to insult each other. Then, take it to the trail. Guaranteed its a hell of a lot more entertaining then the weak spectacle mountain biking is now. Look at Motocross. All the skills, 14x the personality. And it works.

Sam Hill, get pissed, eat a kid on the sideline, and make the course cry. Steve Peat, get ripped and break rocks in half. Rennie, stop mid course and beat up a bear.

Giv'er.
I agree completely, your statement is perfect, hilarious, entertaining. The article makes them both out to be immature little kids with chips on their shoulders, that's all I'm driven at, that's all I'm tryin to say. :cheers:
Motorcross has personality? who? Stewart? Carmichael? Reed? Who are you talking about?
Lopes likes to talk, Gee Atherton likes to talk, there's some guys out there that bring the hype like Cedric but my point is that no one outside of our industry knows who they are...NO ONE. We are trying to create drama amongst family and it seems absurd. There's no stage, it's more like your back yard if you know what I mean.

If you play to the kids, the kids will give you their attention. If you play to adults, you earn the money. Look at golf, look at Nascar, look at motocross. All the really successful guys let their abilities do the talking. I think we could really develop the marketing in our sport and it would be VERY interesting to an outsider, we just don't try that hard as an industry as a whole, we appeal to the enthusiast not the common man, to do that you have to be entertaining and what you were saying hits the nail on the head but I don't think we have to act like children to do that.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
May Beneke please decimate the icon of those hand-holding, kumbaya-singing "lift each other up" west coasters. ;)

Beneke's going back to Sea Otter to best his 2nd place finish last year there. Will Weir show up?

Beneke's taking on east coast DH powerhouse Derrick Nobman (ex?-Ironhorse) and a host of XC and DH folks here in NYC at the Highbridge Hustle and Flow race on April 26th. If any of you want a shot at taking them on, let me know... ;)