Quantcast

Bennington, VT?

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
So the DH is thinking about going to the regionals bmx race in Bennington, VT this weekend. I'll go with him if there are any decent mountain biking trails within 20-30 miles... Anyone? I'm looking for intermediate, xc-type trails. Treesaw or MBC, is that anywhere near either of you?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Mount Snow is about 25 miles from there. I hear that the XC there is good. Most of the trails I saw at nationals there looked good for XC. There should be some trails in the Williamstown/North Adams area too.

There is some good hiking near Bennington if you're into that. Glastenbury, Stratton and Stratton Pond are nearby, which can be done overnight or during the day easily from roads.

Bennington is a pretty place. I took this about 3 weeks ago.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Thank you, that is very helpful! I looked at those photos you had posted a few days ago, and it didn't even occur to me to go back and see where in the northeast you'd been! I'm glad you mentioned that Mt. Snow has xc-trails, too. I'd pretty much written that off at DH in my mind. (Not that I have anything against DH, I'm just not looking for that for this weekend.)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
XC spots: 22 miles away is Grafton state park and Pittstown State Forest is 18 miles away (both are in NY)

Grafton is having a mtn bike fest this saturday (aug 11th)> rides, demo's and bbq lunch.

let me know if you want more info about either place.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Thanks, Douglas.

What's the terrain like in terms of roots & rocks for both places? I'm pretty good with roots now, but rocks scare me. They grow 'em flat, and square-ish around here, but they seem much bigger and rounder out your way. Are there log crossings & are there a lot or not so many? I'm kind of in between beginner and intermediate on the skills scale, but I have no qualms about riding harder trails & walking around the stuff that scares me. But I don't want to do too much walking or then I'll beat myself up for being a weinie. I found some maps & stuff on the Capital MTB website, but if you have any tips for favorite trails or whatever, they're always appreciated.

I found that post about the Grafton MTB festival further down last night, and there's a strong possibility I'll just go to that. The group rides sound fun!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Pitts loop=bike up(hill) on dirt road, cut left into singletrack which is definitely a tough technical trail, some logs, some roots and big rocks. Trail eventually pops you back out on dirt road. Might be tough to find the trail on your own, plus its a pretty desolated spot. I cant recomend unless you have gps or a local tour guide

Grafton=Its a park, so theres people, a beach, & a food stand. no logs, some roots & a bunch of round rocks. Mix of singletrack & dirt/rock roads. A couple easy trails & some tough ones (like long pound).

Neither spot has great riding but I think the fest at Grafton is a great idea/should be pretty fun for an out of towner.

note: There is a $7 charge to get into the park, unless you go past the main entrance and go in the winter/mill pond entrance -
so go past the main entrance about 1/4 mile, take a left after the little general store (think its called N. long pond road). 1/4 mile down that dirt road theres a parking area on the right by Mill pond, park there, grab your bike, continue on the road you came in on, 1/2 mile on the left you will see a gated/chained short dirt road(climb), go up that, take a right at the pavement and your now on the main entrance road.

I'll be parking there at 9ish, and will either do the 9:30 or 10:00 ride -I have a black colorado truck and will be on a blue Salsa 29er.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Grafton Rocks! 2007 MTB FESTIVAL

Schedule of Events

Start Time Event Description Organizer

8:00 AM Registration Opens Christine R/Chris R/Jen C

9:00 AM Bike Shop/Expo Area opens Ski Market/EMS/Downtube
Bike Demos Available Specialized

9:00 AM Advanced Ride (White trail/Ward Hollow/ Ken Z.
LJ's/Water Tower/Long Pond/ChetBell/
Fire Tower/Spruce Bog)
Duration 2-1/2 hours

9:30 AM KidsZone Activities Tent/Bouncy-Bounce opens Brunswick Church/Cartwheels

9:30 AM Intermediate Ride(s) Art G.
Duration 2 hours

10:00 AM Intermediate Ride(s) Ed M./ Mike H.
Duration 2 hours

10:00 AM Women's Specific Ride Luna Chix Ride
Duration 1-1/2 hours Jenn1/Jen2

10:00 AM Beginner Ride(s) to Shaver Pond trails Dick/Paul
Duration 1 hour

11:30 AM BBQ Lunch/Cookout opens Brunswick Church youth group

1:00 PM Bike Games II Jen2/Heather & Ryan Day/ Ed

2:00 PM Raffle for Ski Market Bike and other door prizes Chris R./Bill O.

3:00 PM Bike Demos closes for Specialized Wiley Mosely/Specialized

3:00 PM Beginner Ride(s) to Shaver Pond trails Chris R./Christian D.
Duration 1 hour (TBA)

3:00 PM Intermediate Ride(s) Ken Z.
Duration 2 hours (TBA)

3:00 PM Women's Specific Ride Team Luna Chix
Duration 1-1/2 hours (TBA)

5:30 PM KidsZone Tent/Bouncy-bounce closes

6:00 PM Expo Area closes

7:30 PM Park Main Gates Closed
(Dusk)

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
"note: There is a $7 charge to get into the park"

Ah, but I have an Empire Pass! :biggrin:

I was hoping to see some of the women from the Whiteface clinic! I will keep an eye out for you, two. I have a bright yellow s40 Volvo, and I'll be riding a grey & blue specialized rockhopper. I think I will be there for the 10am rides as well. I have to drop my husband & all his stuff off at the bmx track in Bennington around 8:30, and then I will head over.

Thanks again!

So the DH is thinking about going to the regionals bmx race in Bennington, VT this weekend. I'll go with him if there are any decent mountain biking trails within 20-30 miles... Anyone? I'm looking for intermediate, xc-type trails. Treesaw or MBC, is that anywhere near either of you?
sorry, I don't usually see this forum until it's too late.

There is NO decent XC in Southern VT. We live in CT but spend our winters at Mt Snow and have family that live there so we go in the summer too. During the summer, we bring our road bikes because the XC is CRAPPY (unless you want to PAY to ride Mt Snow).

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Great to see you too, Treesaw!

Hey, I actually rode over THREE logs today after I got back to Ithaca and I didn't die!!! :biggrin: After all those rocks at Grafton, those logs aren't so scary anymore.

Douglas, sorry I didn't meet up with you, but THANK YOU for pointing me toward the Grafton MTB fest. I had a BLAST!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Great to see you too, Treesaw!

Hey, I actually rode over THREE logs today after I got back to Ithaca and I didn't die!!! :biggrin: After all those rocks at Grafton, those logs aren't so scary anymore.

Douglas, sorry I didn't meet up with you, but THANK YOU for pointing me toward the Grafton MTB fest. I had a BLAST!
:happydance: YEAH!!! Definitely let me know if you're going to be back in this area and we'll go out for a ride.