Quantcast

Bent my fork back with a rebar bender: safe to ride?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have a steel fork on an old mountain bike, and my buddy crashed into a rock.

One leg was off about an inch, so with a rebar bender, I put back into alignment.

Is it safe to ride on casual rides?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should point out the crash happened about 5 months ago, and my friend has been riding it bent. He didn't realize how messed up it was until he took out the front wheel.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Got pics? If it's at all creased anywhere, stop riding it. If not you're in better shape.

Also, who made the fork? I ask because there's a big range of material properties for steels. A higher end fork is going to be made with different steel than a cheap one, and that is relevant.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Got pics? If it's at all creased anywhere, stop riding it. If not you're in better shape.

Also, who made the fork? I ask because there's a big range of material properties for steels. A higher end fork is going to be made with different steel than a cheap one, and that is relevant.
It has a bad dent, and it was off a Kona, my guess a commuter bike of some type.

Anyone have a rigid fork they want to sell for cheap?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
no more than a 3 foot drop to flat..in pinkbike feet....is recommended.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If sanjuro sets off from San Francisco riding a bike with a 3mm deep dent in the fork headed towards Topeka, moving at 15mph, how much will his resulting dental costs be?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Not sure if this matters, but Rim or Disk brakes? And if it is rim like I assume, id the bend below the brake boss? If disk, that is more risky overall I would think bc ALL the braking forces are below the bend. If rim, then it might only be half the brake force. From an armchair engineer's perspective at least.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not sure if this matters, but Rim or Disk brakes? And if it is rim like I assume, id the bend below the brake boss? If disk, that is more risky overall I would think bc ALL the braking forces are below the bend. If rim, then it might only be half the brake force. From an armchair engineer's perspective at least.
Rim brake, the dent is halfway between the axle and the boss.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A pic would help so we can see if it's creased. But an inch isn't that much. Back in the day we used to repair badly bent steel frames and forks all the time. (From crashes, car accidents, etc.)

Repairable frames and forks - one the good things about steel.