Quantcast

Bent my IS chain guide mounts...

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I bottomed out hitting a stepdown with about a 6ft drop and since I have an intense m3(really low BB) the chainguide hit a rock sticking out of the ground about 3 or 4 inches. It wasnt a very hard impact so I didnt really mind or check the bike because I'm used to hitting the bashguard on rocks sometimes or rocks jump up from your tires and hit the bottom, so did about 4 more runs.

Later that day when I got home I washed my bike and noticed my chainguide was touching my chainstay and it had a big scrape on the bottom. I took off the cranks, and noticed the bolts on the chainguide looked all bent. I thougnt I had probably bent the bolts, but the I took off the guide and the IS mounts where all bent!!!....

The thread is still good exept on one that is starting to strip. I put the bike back together and there is a littlebit of rubbing between the chainring (because its not a single speed chainring so it has the bumps) and the chainguide wall. So its no big deal. I was surprised to see how stong that damn chainguide is(e13).

So what can I do now? Any way to fix it?
I was also wondering do I have warantee if my frame is an 05 and its not owned by the first buyer?

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well im gonna leave it how it is for now. and if it gets any worse I definately will. it doesnt seem to affect anything. Ill have to ride it this weekend and see how it goes. im sure ill be fine as long as i dont hit it really hard again.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
You could drill out the ISCG hole threads and run a longer version of the same flathead screw that normally bolt the chainguide on. Just run nuts on the backsides of the ISCG tabs on the bolts. Probably stronger then the original design as there are no threads to ovalize or strip. Just make sure to loc-tite the nuts.

In my opinion much easier then dealing with cutting off the tabs and running a sandwich mount which inevitably slips and loosens your BB cups.