Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Looks good but if I had to guess, the fast quad will be serving skiers only. But maybe I am wrong and they'll repurpose the existing bike carriers on #1 for the new quad? I doubt #4 will be serving bikes, no bike trails there.
#4 is being relocated for an expansion. I would assume they would add trails too while they build ski trails

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I am weary of faster uplift capacity there, lift lines are one of the only things keeping the trails from being clogged with CT shoreline hedgefund babies.
I hear Chris Conrad left Gravity Logic to serve Bentonville fulltime, so I wonder if they will ever finish the big, dumb stunt trail?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am weary of faster uplift capacity there, lift lines are one of the only things keeping the trails from being clogged with CT shoreline hedgefund babies.
I hear Chris Conrad left Gravity Logic to serve Bentonville fulltime, so I wonder if they will ever finish the big, dumb stunt trail?
what's the big dumb stunt trail? Fort Hill?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I personally love that riders right side of the mountain where wine tree and those trails are, also that little center section like back of the shack etc. Actually I love the whole place.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
what's the big dumb stunt trail? Fort Hill?
Fort Hill(the trail, not Eric's very, very, very good brewery in Easthampton right off of exit 19!!) ruined that place. Imagine all the decent mountainbiking that could have been in that zone!
That new lift will go basically to the top of Gronk, so that might be good, if you like running over rich kids.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Fort Hill(the trail, not Eric's very, very, very good brewery in Easthampton right off of exit 19!!) ruined that place. Imagine all the decent mountainbiking that could have been in that zone!
That new lift will go basically to the top of Gronk, so that might be good, if you like running over rich kids.
I am not much of a jump trail guy these days but Gronk is built very well, esp those top tables.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That sucks.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
No matter how long the lift lines are there, I rarely see folks on Schist, Too Easy, Juggernaut, and most of the right side/ natural trails.

More lift capacity sounds great to me.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You’ll still neeed to take the slow lift to get to Schist, Too Easy, etc. Those trails are great, but take a little over two minutes(unless you are a pro, and they are more like 1:45). That 14 minute lift ride always makes me avoid the good stuff down the front face, and makes me wistful for when Jiminy used to be open from the summit regularly so you could drop into steep AF terrain every six minutes.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
No matter how long the lift lines are there, I rarely see folks on Schist, Too Easy, Juggernaut, and most of the right side/ natural trails.

More lift capacity sounds great to me.
This! I could be happy doing Badger and Juggernaut laps near all day.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Exactly - Some of the best runs of my season were last October over in that zone, dirt was perfect, temp was 60, bike was running great. Man I can't wait for DH season to start back up.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
While we are talking thunder, has anyone ridden that really steep natural line that sits above thunder cliffs and joins up w/ the trail half way down? I hiked up there and rode part of it last year but was wondering if there is an access point from any trails above? It's a pretty burly loamer tbh.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
While we are talking thunder, has anyone ridden that really steep natural line that sits above thunder cliffs and joins up w/ the trail half way down? I hiked up there and rode part of it last year but was wondering if there is an access point from any trails above? It's a pretty burly loamer tbh.
If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it’s called 27.5. There are a few lines through there. Very steep, rocky, loamy, awesome. You can get to it a few different ways. Back of the shack or Sleeping Jake’s to this area and you’ll see a trail going off the ski trail up over the snowmaking pipes. Follow that to the top of the cliffs.

Attachments

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
that's what we hit a few times, right @Inclag? that was fun shit.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
You’ll still neeed to take the slow lift to get to Schist, Too Easy, etc. Those trails are great, but take a little over two minutes(unless you are a pro, and they are more like 1:45). That 14 minute lift ride always makes me avoid the good stuff down the front face, and makes me wistful for when Jiminy used to be open from the summit regularly so you could drop into steep AF terrain every six minutes.
I thought I heard that Jiminy was open last year and that there's been locals maintaining things through the years?

Such a great place to ride. Natural and wide. Would love to get out there again if they are back.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I thought I heard that Jiminy was open last year and that there's been locals maintaining things through the years?

Such a great place to ride. Natural and wide. Would love to get out there again if they are back.
I’d heard the same thing but I ran into Willem Cooper and the rest of Rhode Island at Rock Creek over the weekend and he told me they only ran the summit lift at Jiminy for the esc race last year, so most weekends if you want the good stuff you gotta take another 14 minute fixed-grip ride 3/4 of the way up Jiminy, and then push to the summit.

Without Jiminy and Plattekill running there is a real lack of “downhill” in Southern New England, NYS at the moment, imo, ymmv. Crazy how that region went from no “bikeparks” to only “bikeparks”.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Man, Jiminy was one of my favorites. It never had great amenities but a reasonably fast lift for a duo or solo and the trails were just so good, natural stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I’d heard the same thing but I ran into Willem Cooper and the rest of Rhode Island at Rock Creek over the weekend and he told me they only ran the summit lift at Jiminy for the esc race last year, so most weekends if you want the good stuff you gotta take another 14 minute fixed-grip ride 3/4 of the way up Jiminy, and then push to the summit.

Without Jiminy and Plattekill running there is a real lack of “downhill” in Southern New England, NYS at the moment, imo, ymmv. Crazy how that region went from no “bikeparks” to only “bikeparks”.
Blue isn't very steep but at least it has a couple good rocky trails.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
In addition to providing faster lift service for skiers, the lift would improve loading and ride time for the popular lift-served mountain biking operation.
Sounds like its going to be for bike's. I hope they set it up like the lift at loon. That way they don't need to have lift attendants. Last day of august will be my first time riding thunder, unless we decide to go earlier, because thats the day of the ladies allride my wife's going to.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Blue isn't very steep but at least it has a couple good rocky trails.
Ugh, I think you and I talked about this earlier in the fall but I went there in October and just couldn't get into that place at all. There was that one fun trail which I believe is the DH race track but aside from that I didn't think it had a whole lot to offer. Maybe I was missing something though...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ugh, I think you and I talked about this earlier in the fall but I went there in October and just couldn't get into that place at all. There was that one fun trail which I believe is the DH race track but aside from that I didn't think it had a whole lot to offer. Maybe I was missing something though...
we did, and i don't disagree. but there's enough i like/tolerate there that i still go. in part because its close-ish any other lift access riding is well over double the drive.

edit to add: with the exception of the new expert jump line (which IMO the lips on the jumps are too steep, but i also suck at jumping) everything they've built in the last few years is beginner level or enduro-bro blue square.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
we did, and i don't disagree. but there's enough i like/tolerate there that i still go. in part because its close-ish any other lift access riding is well over double the drive.
a close park is better than no park. wish berkshire was closer than 2.5 hours from here.

I need to keep my eyes peeled for an aluminum 12x142/15x110 wheelset and tires.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

edit to add: with the exception of the new expert jump line (which IMO the lips on the jumps are too steep, but i also suck at jumping) everything they've built in the last few years is beginner level or enduro-bro blue square.
Hey man I get it, I rode 7 Springs for a decade when I needed to stay close to home (1 hour) and that place was terrible but It had a lift and a couple good runs. Blue is way better than that was!

FYI - Since Vail bought 7 Springs there have been several credible rumors they are going to build a completely new bike park. Nothing official but fingers crossed for a decent option in that area.