Quantcast

Bern helmets

Discussion in 'BMX & Dirt Jumping' started by manhattanprjkt83, Feb 28, 2008.

1. manhattanprjkt83

manhattanprjkt83 Rusty Trombone

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    So I was up on mt hood this weekend and noticed alot of guys riding/skiing with bern helmets. I really like the low profile of them so i am thinking about getting one to replace my beat to hell 5 year old protec i have had forever.

Does anyone know anything about this model? It looks like it is set up for winter use but i think you just take that part out for bmx and mtb summer usage?

Any idea on comfort? The protec is super comfortable

http://www.bernunlimited.com/2007/watts.html

I am going to go with that model or the skate protec which is sorta clear with the red straps...help

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Castle

Castle Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I have no info, but have also been very interested in them myself....

I haven't even seen a decent online spot to pick up the bike lids, mostly just the ski/snowboard lids...

I need to contact, them just haven't

3. eaterofdog

eaterofdog ass grabber

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 22
    I have been checking them out. They look good, but they don't have much venting as they are intended for snowboarding.

4. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    yeah but nor do protecs the above isnt the one i am actually looking at click the link it has a few vents just like a protec...I just want an idea of profile and what not...My head is an oversized gord so i wear the xl protec...but it is very comfortable

does anyone actually have experience with these? I would wear it for skiing as well probably if it is convertable which is nice...

5. joelalamo45

joelalamo45 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    A lot of people ride them in the summer here. Of course I work at a ski resort, tho.

6. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    where is here?

I am assuming they dont run plaid earflaps haha

7. Mr Tiles

Mr Tiles I'm a beer snob

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    not that it matters much but I've noticed that the skate/ski lids don't have the same safety rating as a cycling helment like the bell faction. That being said, I like the pad set up on skate lids a lot better than the cycling lids. I got a prime-8 lid but it's too small. I'd like to have one of those pro-tec clear ones but I want to try it on before buying it and nobody has any local for me to do that...

8. monkeyboy424

monkeyboy424 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    i have the baker helmet, and it is the comfiest thing i have ever put on my giant noggin.

they are not cpsc certified though, its technically a "hardhat" not a helmet, but that has never caused me any problems at races or skateparks.

9. Evil4bc

Evil4bc Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have herd from a few kids back east that the model w/ the visor can cause nose breaks during harsh crashes , it comes down and nails you I guess , or something like that .

I was looking into these a few years back and everyone I asked said something about broken noses , I got a protec instead

10. LandoCalrissian

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I've got one, super comfy but I wish they had one in a gloss finsh as the matte shows alot of dirt/marks.

11. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262

So you have a bern? Did it come with the snow gear? Can you just pull it out for summer?

Do you feel protected w it?

12. escapeartist

escapeartist Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Thats a lot of cash for something that isnt cpsc certified. They look pretty sick though. I saw a lot of kids with them at the Tara jam at Rye last Saturday.

13. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    so cpsc? Help?

I want it to look cool but if it costs me the function of the helmet that is just dumb.

14. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    k just googled it so if it isnt cpsc it isnt safe or it just isnt reviewed?

I mean you can get totally wacked snowboarding guys would wear these if they werent safe, no?

15. brungeman

brungeman I give a shirt

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    :popcorn:

:twitch:

16. BikeSATORI

BikeSATORI Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I've looked into one of these as well... both for boarding and biking, have yet to try one out for real though, like most others.

But if you're wondering about CPSC cert., it's on the site. In the link you posted, click on "Specs" down in the corner in grey. Then choose the "EPS" version and it says "CPSC certified for biking and skating". The "Hardhat" version with their "Brock padding" is not. more like a simple plastic shell for your nut. For those regular everyday bike rides where 2X4's are falling out of the trees onto your head, you'll be alright, don't worry. Or if your regular street session takes place in a construction zone.

17. LandoCalrissian

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The Macon I purchased came from a bike shop and didn't come with the liner. My friend just got one that did but only runs it when he's boarding, takes it out when riding. ( yes it just pulls out) Don't get the "visor" it's lame.

Yes I feel protected with it, I've hit my head twice and it didn't even give me ear ringing contact crack that my old helmet it.

I had a free helmet coupon from them so another one should be in the mail soon!

18. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    i like the visor...

so if i go with the eps visor unit my head wont crack open ill just smash my nose on the brim.

sign me up...

19. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    i am gooing to jam that TOP in your pee hole if you post one more icon like that boy...

give me back my pedals!

hahah

$60 for the pedals and e.13

cash money

20. EricMcFlow

EricMcFlow Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have the Macon and will be getting another one soon. Going to retire the current one to winter only use.

Hand down the best skate style helmet I have ever owned. I can not say enough good things about it. The cold weather kit it amazing as well. It is the only helmet I use for riding and skiing. I have used it at the Louiseville skatepark in the summer, Vail in the winter and every day in Chicago. Well worth the coin, I would have paid retail for one....

21. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    where is the best online retailer for these? I dont think i can get the hookdown on this...

22. missiongravity

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    This is what I ride in....its a kayaking helmet. Hot as hell in the summer but nice and toasty in the winter, especially for snowboarding.

23. Mr Tiles

Mr Tiles I'm a beer snob

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    this is what I want

24. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    yeah that is my second option...that helmet is really nice

25. dagmz6s

dagmz6s Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I just bought a Bern G helmet, CPSC approved yada yada. Damn comfy, decent amount of vents, low profile. I got it for $60 plus shipping off ebay, brand new.

26. brungeman

brungeman I give a shirt

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    paypal bish! :twitch:

27. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    if its w paypal send 63 so i dont get burnt on the fee's i see what you are doing...hiding funds from the wife you crook.

:dead:

28. manhattanprjkt83

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 262
    anyone know of a retailer for the watts? cant find one

29. PhilipW

PhilipW Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i really like my macon. Tons of protection from those fakie to fall on your back/head falls. I've ridden with it since early/mid summer last year, no problems. Super good fit, and it only moves when i dont have the strap cinched up...usually when pulling up for a flip. ;) (shameless "I learned backflips and they're super scary" plug)

I dont suggest getting white...it gets scratched and dirty quick. Also, sometimes they show up on steepandcheap.com

Also, I took another flip-related crash and smacked my head on the side enough to see stars, and the helmet (surprisingly) held up. Most normal bike lids are designed for one crash before the foam splits.

30. ufdff15

ufdff15 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I've been using a brentwood for the last 2.5 years and I absolutely love it. It's extremely light weight, very comfortable and fit's my massive head. I bought my first one direct from Bern(they are local to me) and the second one(yes I have two of the same helmet) I got from a ski/snowboard shop. Both of them came with the winter stuff as well as the Warm weather liner. As for the certifications the brentwood meets all certifications and if you get the EPS in the other helmets those too meet all certifications. Get one you will not regret it. http://www.aggressivemall.com/Bern-Watts-Hard-Hat-p/bern-hardhat-watts.htm

If you do a google search for bern you can usually find some really good deals on them (sub $30 for a brentwood)

31. EricMcFlow

EricMcFlow Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    From a post above.

If you get a light colored one, get some Mr Clean Magic Erasures to clean it.

32. brungeman

brungeman I give a shirt

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    how do you think I will be able to go to whistla this summer :shocked: yeah I am hording and hiding money... you got a prolem wit dat?

33. ÆX

ÆX Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    i wear a bern zip molded NINO, i have a small head and
    wanted to not look like a shroom.

they don't!, this fit very close to your head and are very thin and approved for racing.

i did a ballpean hammer to mine to get that perfect fit for my not so
    round head.

get the G or brentwood. if you are wearing a lid make it as strong as possible

34. dirtygirlmagnet

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    my size Large Pro-tec fits pretty snug, and my size XL Bern is too big without the winter liner in place. I like having the extra room now though.

35. spliffy

spliffy Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i have one to and its good dont wear it much but its noce does not meet any sert for bike helemts though

36. jellybeans

jellybeans Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i like the protec skate lids, i had one for like 3-4 years, most comfortable helmet ive put on. only knocked myself out once, and id hit my head pretty hard on many an occasion.

some bastard stole it though, so at the moment ive got a 661 dirt lid, its pretty nice.