Quantcast

Best 14mm Rear Hub

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i'm looking for a 14mm/110 bmx sized hub for my tonic. 36holes. i havnt shopped for a hub in a long long time and upon quick inspection, there are 57 choices out there. a bit overwhelming.

is GSPORT RATCHET CASSETTE HUB any good? i'm running 25-10 now, but planning on going back to 30-13, could i run a 13t on that?

what are some good and sweet hubs out there?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
ratchets are only 9 and 10t at the moment. 10t are on sale for $99.

profile minis? take a look at madera. same internals as profile (made by profile) but less machining on the shells to hit a lower price point. tons of options with profile/madera hubs. 14mm hollow cromo/ti, 3 pc female axle, 1 pc drivers (up to 11t) cogs 12T and up, optional ti bits etc.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
if you did get a 10t, you could run a 23t up front with 24" wheels, for 55.2 gear inches. Profile does make 23t Imperial sprockets.....

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
if you did get a 10t, you could run a 23t up front with 24" wheels, for 55.2 gear inches. Profile does make 23t Imperial sprockets.....
That's what I'm running. There are quite a few companies that make 23s. I have a S&M on there now.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yea, saw that ratchet was on sale for 99, thought about jumping on it.
25 seems so tiny upfront, 23 would just be mental! :)

tim, u're running profile minis? which madera would i need to get to be able to run 13t?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Ratchets are nice. Another solid and relatively affordable hub is the Primo Mix. But, again, 10 tooth is the biggest driver you can get.

Odyssey Hazards can come with a 13.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
To me, the G-sport ratchet stands out b/c its one of the few (only?) hubs out there with a driver on needle bearings instead of spherical cartridge bearings. This is probably gonna be my next hub since I keep toasting cartridge bearings.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
yea, saw that ratchet was on sale for 99, thought about jumping on it.
25 seems so tiny upfront, 23 would just be mental! :)

tim, u're running profile minis? which madera would i need to get to be able to run 13t?
yes i have a mini rear hub. you can get the madera straight from profile with the cog you want. the beauty is you can use cogs or 1pc drivers in the same hub body if you ever change your mind on gearing.
http://www.profileracing.com/estore2/index.php?productid=252

they will only sell with the options listed. if you want ti or hollow bits, try calling empire or dans. maybe they can build the hub you want. like if you want a hollow cromo axle or something else. or just get a mini and pay a lil more for what you want.

Last edited:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
To me, the G-sport ratchet stands out b/c its one of the few (only?) hubs out there with a driver on needle bearings instead of spherical cartridge bearings. This is probably gonna be my next hub since I keep toasting cartridge bearings.
what gearing do you use? how many bearings have you been through?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
The ratchet is nice, but it has its fair share of issues as well... according to teh internets. $100 is a steal for one of those, though. Think I'm going to pick one up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what gearing do you use? how many bearings have you been through?
I run 25x9 on a 20". In the last year I've had to replace all 3 bearings in the driver twice, and the third set (currently what I'm on) has been giving signs that they're about to go as well.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that I'm not really a small dude (about 200lbs), and I can put a pretty substantial amount of torque on the drivetrain when needed. And no, my chain is not overtightened.

The ratchet is nice, but it has its fair share of issues as well... according to teh internets. $100 is a steal for one of those, though. Think I'm going to pick one up.
What issues would these be? I'm looking to lace up a new wheel and this is the hub I'm looking at.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
What issues would these be? I'm looking to lace up a new wheel and this is the hub I'm looking at.
bummer on the bearings man.

these are some of the arguments about the ratchet in its first version.

unreliable engagement, needs more maintenance than other hubs, compromised internals due to the lhd/rhd compatibility.

some people experienced trouble with the helicoil in the axle coming out/breaking. i'm sure its isolated though and a good amount of trouble coming from user error...how many times do you really take a back wheel off, right?

who knows. i like the ratchet plus you can pick up the aluminum 3/8 axle for $25 and save a little weight. http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9409

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
not that i expect you to know this... but does that mean that in the future there possibly maybe be a 11t/12t options but just swapping out the 10t driver?
i can see it happening but not for a bit. seems like the 10t aren't selling too well with the sales going on...everybody wants the 9t. they'll make it if people want it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
bummer on the bearings man.

these are some of the arguments about the ratchet in its first version.

unreliable engagement, needs more maintenance than other hubs, compromised internals due to the lhd/rhd compatibility.

some people experienced trouble with the helicoil in the axle coming out/breaking. i'm sure its isolated though and a good amount of trouble coming from user error...how many times do you really take a back wheel off, right?

who knows. i like the ratchet plus you can pick up the aluminum 3/8 axle for $25 and save a little weight. http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9409
I've heard of pawl issues with drivers that are LHD/RHD convertable, and personally I'm not really a fan of that design. IMO, its a solution looking for a problem. Didn't know the ratchet hub used this.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
What hub are you running? That sounds like a bent axle to me.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . I'm not really a small dude (about 200lbs), and I can put a pretty substantial amount of torque on the drivetrain when needed. . . . .
i have heard this is why the BMX racing scene really hasn't opted for small drivetrains at all. still lots of guys at the track withi 44, 39 etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What hub are you running? That sounds like a bent axle to me.
Its a generic hub that came on a kink complete. Last time I swapped bearings I did a quick check on the axle, and it seemed fine. I'll check it again.

i have heard this is why the BMX racing scene really hasn't opted for small drivetrains at all. still lots of guys at the track withi 44, 39 etc.
This is just a guess: it might be engagement points as well. You can get more engagement points in a larger freewheel (14t+) than you could in a 9t or 10t driver. Or at least have a pawl system that is more reliable. IDK. I'm just speculating, I don't know bmx racing.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Local LBS told me that he has worked on 2 ratchets in the last month. But I know two really hard riders around 160 lbs who haven't had a problem all.

Odyssey makes an 11t driver available in QBP for... not much at all even lhd.

Last edited:

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Oh I would not get the imperial get the wake or vermont chainwheel. The imperial is really soft and thin. Good for racing though.