Quantcast

best 24 inch, short chainstay dj frame?

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
what would be your top choices for a super short chainstay frame for dj's and street that is relatively light, under $500, and able to ride dual 24's?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'd say Tonic fall guy, its 14.75" chain stays are probably the shortest of any 24" frames I can think of.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
no but molly has shorter chainstay with 14.6" chain stay. but it has 0.5 inch longer than tonic fall guy. =P so Tonic fall guy is a better one = D

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
I almost got a fall guy, but did not like the seatstays. So I got a molly instead. I also like the spanish bb better.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
I don't think you will go wrong with either a Tonic Fall Guy or the Molly Maguire. I personally have a Fall Guy and love it, but the molly looks kick ass too. Geometrically they are quite similar. The one major difference is the seat tube length on the Fall Guy is around 9.5inches while it is about 12 inches on the Molly. So, if you like to thow turndowns and lookbacks, the FG gives a lot more room for those types of manuevers. The Fall Guy is a smidge more expensive ($550) versus the Molly ($500), but not outrageously so. Again, I really think that you can't go wrong with either frame.

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
im completely digging riding a rear disc though, so that sort of eliminates the tonic. i was talking to brad, of nemesis, about getting a streetfighter frame, but they are expensive. so im just trying to see what riders are preffering. it seems that fall guys and mollys are the top choices. i still have no idea what to get though. i think ill just save for a streetfighter though

Jan 29, 2005
the dmr rhythm sounds like the right bike to fit all your requirements, but if you really want a sick bike that works for you nemesis is where its at, or try draco, he might be able to build you exactly what you want for suprisingly little money

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Thanks for thinking of USB.

On the Union-Street Bikes Molly, a verbage mistake (sort of) is on the geometry page.... it is 10" Center to Center on the seat-tube and 12" Center to top. If you intend to ride a lot of street I would suggest either the Molly or the Fall Guy as you'll save a lot of money on rotors and quite possibly bent axles.

www.unionstreetbikes.com

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
scurban said:
Haha

It took 2 bent rotor's and 3 broken derailers for me to realize that single speed and V's are where it's at for street.

XTR icepick grinds are wear it's at !!!
I love my $145 axle peg !!

Thansk for all the great comments on the bikes guys !!

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Lethal, Thanks for correcting (me) regarding the geometry of the Molly's c/c seatmast. I thought that it looked nice and more compact than a 12" measurment would have inticated. I really like that bike, and the green is just killer. Congrats on an awesome frame.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
if u really want disk... for what i heard that is mob vertical dropout ( yucks ) has 15.2" chainstay. you can try it.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
ya, i'd seccond the Revell.

bent axles?

yes the bb ends up super low on a mob with 24" but the Static ends up about the same but on purpose. so it makes sense to figure out what bb height works for you. also what kind of travel you intend to run/how long a fork.

Peyto could probably build to that price with some non-name brand tubing.

i'm happy riding street and park with a disc but i'm not comfortable trying icepicks on my left side anyway.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
chiming in here, i am a 26 guy so i dont ride the little bikes but i would def go molly or tonic as well, both are incredibly nice i have ridden joe prisel's bike a few times (when it was 24's) and loved it...that said i love tonic as a company and i think the fall guy has some great details...

i hear you on the disks because i like them as well but the more dj stuff i ride it is more apparent that properly setup bmx brakes are a sweet setup, you should consider it. if you go disk absolutely go 140mm

brad is a good dood at nemisis but those things are PRICEY...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
on your molly's and fall guys.... what center-of-axle to bottom of headset bearing race.... are you running.... mine is 17 7/8" right now. never quite knew what axle to "crown" was measuring to exactly....