Quantcast

Best AM tire?

dhmtber687

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Hey guys I'm looking to get a new set of tires for my Trek Remedy. I'm looking for some suggestions for some semi-light, good gripping sweet all mountain tire. I've been looking at Continental Rubber Queens but have seen some good and bad reviews.

Any suggestions?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
There is no such thing as a single best tire. What does your all mountain encompass? How dry or wet is it where you ride? Muddy or firm? Big climbs or not so big? What is your preference? So much of it is rider dependent too. What works for one rider won't be so good for another.

dhmtber687

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Alright I'm talking New England, rooty rocky, something thats good in the mud and good at climbing but not super gnarly climbs and descending. I'm looking for something that's going to be good at cornering and going fast but can also climb good and shed mud.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what part of new england?

i've had a lot of really good luck with the maxxis advantage. i use it as a rear tire on my trail bike, and a front tire on my xc bike. good blend of weight, rolling resistance side knob grip, profile, and weight. a few of my friends have tried them as well and have not been disappointed.

fwiw the areas they were being used were NJ and eastern PA.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Kenda Nevagals work well in Nam, Borderland, Foxboro, Case, Soapstone, Kingdom Trails, and most everywhere else I've ridden.
you must not ride very hard or are very very lucky. and i'm not saying that to be a dick, i've seen more flats and tears on nevagels over the years than i have on all other brands of tires combined (to be fair, not keeping specific details. I used to ride kenda's, and i couldn't go more than a week without a flat.

KENDA = Keep Extras Nearby, Dumb Ass

dhmtber687

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Yeah I'm not a fan of advantages or nevegals lol. I have had both on previous AM bikes I'm looking for something for CT riding but living in NH right now so I want something that I can go fast downhill next year too.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have been really stoked on the Specialized Puragtorys. They have a good selection of tire sizes and rubber compounds and they are a great all around tire.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I've always had good luck with a minion dhf up front and either a high roller or advantage in the rear. I'd tend to say the high roller was better however.

Of course, I've never had a maxxis sidewall that wouldn't rip if you looked at it wrong. That tends to be the weakness in their tires.

Last edited: