Quantcast

Best area to live

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hey All,

Never posted in this neck of the woods of RM before, but seeing how the RM community has been pretty helpful to me on various previous occasions, I figured I'd be an IDIOT not to turn to you for help with my latest pivotal life decision.

I've just accepted an job offer in Langley, BC. Both my lady and I are pretty excited about the big move. Thing is, she's likely going to be working at the Children's Hopital in Vancouver. The question now is where to live.

We're a 1 car household for the time being, and we'd like to stay that way ideally. So, bearing in mind what traffic is like out there (I know it's pretty bad, but I wonder if it's all just exaggerated) where would you Vancouverites recommend?

Is the Skytrain a good system for commuters? My GF will likely be using it. How bikeable is Vancouver in winter? She's pretty tough, and it might give her an excuse to get a cooler bike :)

My work hours will be pretty long. Start early, finish LATE.

With all this in mind, let the suggestions flow!

Thanks.

Oh yeah, when work permits, I expect to do some kickass riding. Suggestions for good riding areas are welcome too.

-Da Peach

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Skytrain=good if you live in the Vancouver/Surrey area.
Otherwise, not so much.

Monetarily, moving into Vancouver is most likely out of the question. You would probably be better suited with a house in the Langley/Cloverdale area. There are tons of them...just look around.

As for riding:
The entire Shore is golden. Just go to any shop and they can hook you up with precise locations.
Vedder is also sick. Its near Chilliwack, so it doesnt see as much traffic.
Squamish is really good for steep techy DH/FR. Might want to aviod it this time of year.
Whistler=Wet dream (but you probably already know that)
Pretty much any wooded area will have jump/drops of some kind. Just get to know the locals..

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
riding! haha you have EVERYTHING in BC
the north shore for freeride
Whistler for anything
Pemberton for kick ass freeride
bellingham which in WA, about an hour south for some freeride, all mountain, decent DH if you know where to go
Mt WA on whatever island in BC thats on
and the rest of canada

and i cant forget squamish, thats killer freeride and downhill

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Skytrain=good if you live in the Vancouver/Surrey area.
Otherwise, not so much.

Monetarily, moving into Vancouver is most likely out of the question. You would probably be better suited with a house in the Langley/Cloverdale area. There are tons of them...just look around.

As for riding:
The entire Shore is golden. Just go to any shop and they can hook you up with precise locations.
Vedder is also sick. Its near Chilliwack, so it doesnt see as much traffic.
Squamish is really good for steep techy DH/FR. Might want to aviod it this time of year.
Whistler=Wet dream (but you probably already know that)
Pretty much any wooded area will have jump/drops of some kind. Just get to know the locals..
Well, as for monetarily, Vancouver should be withing range. I've done some Craigslisting. I'd like to keep rent around 1500/mo., but if I gotta do more, well then, I guess that's Van for ya...

It's more the "where" question that I'd like to know about. Burnaby? New Westminster? I took a little 15 drive around the New Westminster area...(8th and 8th? WTF?) and it seemed you were either living in a brand new condo tower, or in, as Elvis would say, "In the Ghetto...."

I don't want to get too deep into Vancouver because I'm afraid of retarded traffic, but I don't want to strand my GF too far out of town without a car.

I don't want to get too deep into Vancouver because I'm afraid of retarded traffic, but I don't want to strand my GF too far out of town without a car.
I like Kitsilano and North Vancouver. Those are the spots I'm looking at when I move north. Kitsilano, a.k.a. Kits, is superclose to downtown and quite close to the Children's Hospital, so it would be an easy bike commute for her to work. And it doesn't seem that traffic is any worse there than coming from the burbs, possibly better. Granted, I only visit there lots, not live there, so perhaps my perspective is skewed.