Quantcast

Best bang for buck completes?

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Havent been racing DH for a few years now and wanting to get back into it. Would love to piece together exactly what I want but a complete seems more feasible for me. Am I missing some of the solid complete DH bikes out there? Ones I am looking at are:

Demo 8 II (the non carbon one) $6600 USD
Session 88 $6100
Norco Aurum I Dorado $5500
Giant Glory 0 $6200
Devinci Wilson RC $5600

Ive been riding Specialized all my life basically but would be open for trying out something different. Anyone have any input on these bikes or other suggestions? The Aurum with Dorado seems like a pretty sweet deal.

(Also just for the record I am unaware on the availability of any of these, just going off of the websites currently)

Edit: Also bike will be used for ski resort riding mostly (I hope) and racing when I can get there. Expert/Cat 1 class or whatever it is.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
CUBE and YT do some of the best value for money completes and allegedly ride pretty well.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
CUBE and YT do some of the best value for money completes and allegedly ride pretty well.
Considering he is probably not europe-based that won't help him much but if I would also take a look at canyon and propain.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Specialized status is one of the best bang for the buck bikes out there. Guerrilla Gravity has some neat complete bikes too. Their 888 CR setup is "only" 4gs.

You gotta laugh when somebody puts "bang for your buck" and $6600 in the same sentence.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I can't believe people would pay these prices for a DH bike.
What would you recommend then?

Also from checking out the TR450 on the site the complete builds I saw were more than any of the ones listed?

And yeah $6K for a new bike is ridiculous, but it seems the 'true high end' DH bikes are $9K to $10K. Carbon Demo, Session 9, etc.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
cept its not out yet.. PB calls it the 2014 operator, and then says 'New model for 2013' in the details.. so does that mean it will be out late 2013, but as a 2014 bike?

although i will admit.. it makes me want to finish my 2012 operator ASAP and start shreddin. :mad:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Canyon too.

Also visit go-ride. They often have AMAZING deals on completes or frame + fork deals.

As for the true high end 10k bikes. Engineer masturbation in most cases. In ride quality it's not really as noticeable. You will notice more if you adjust the bike to your preferences (proper susp setup, proper tires, stem, bars, pedals, chainring)

http://www.go-ride.com/product/turner-bikes-dhr-large-orange-complete-with-custom-go-ride-build-kit-2177.htm if Large is a good size for you.

http://store.dunbarcycles.com/2012-devinci-wilson-rc/dp/101011 if small is a good size.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Exactly, I'm building a DH rig right now and will have an extremely competitive and low maintenance bike for under 1200 bucks.
damn, 1200 bux? here i am thinking that getting my operator and 40 for 2200 (new) was a good ass deal. im assuming you work for a shop or are buying used..?

either way, good for you!:)

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
That. And find hookups. Its not that hard. Retail is for suckers.
yep. i honestly feel sort of out of place going into local bike shops and looking at the tag and seeing retail... its just weird.

i also find humor in the fact that some riders really are oblivious to this and still go into mikes bikes (my lbs) and pay full pop.. one time i paid 8.50 for a spesh tube there (only place i could get a tube at the time), i felt like a sucker for sure.:p

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
damn, 1200 bux? here i am thinking that getting my operator and 40 for 2200 (new) was a good ass deal. im assuming you work for a shop or are buying used..?

either way, good for you!:)
I bought a frame (no shock), crankset, chainguide, headset, seatpost and seat all for 250, Brand new rear shock for 200. Deraileur and shifter (XO) for 50 and I have a bunch of other parts sitting around. Most of the parts are used (nothing clapped out though). If you're patient, aren't too picky and watch Ebay and Pinkbike you can get ridiculous deals on parts and completes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
pfft I built mine complete with 40 gallon Avy DHS shock, brand new 888RC fork, brand new brakes and rotors and wheels for $800.

There's a guy on MTBR who put together a sunday for like $300!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I bought a frame (no shock), crankset, chainguide, headset, seatpost and seat all for 250, Brand new rear shock for 200. Deraileur and shifter (XO) for 50 and I have a bunch of other parts sitting around. Most of the parts are used (nothing clapped out though). If you're patient, aren't too picky and watch Ebay and Pinkbike you can get ridiculous deals on parts and completes.
You can't compare building a used bike to building a new bike.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
pfft I built mine complete with 40 gallon Avy DHS shock, brand new 888RC fork, brand new brakes and rotors and wheels for $800.

There's a guy on MTBR who put together a sunday for like $300!
Again, you aren't talking about a new bike like the OP was. You're talking about an older used frame.

What/where are you getting a brand new 888 and wheels, and brakes for less than $800?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
You can't compare building a used bike to building a new bike.
I know that. He said "best bang for the buck complete" not "best bang for the buck NEW complete." Just suggesting to comb through the classifieds on PB and ebay, you could spend 2k and a lightly used bike that will be more than enough for 98% of us and use the 4k you saved on an entire season of riding/racing with money to spare for hookers and blow!

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
The secret is buy a used DH bike or parts in the winter. Its in the spring is when guys find out their newest and greatest Yeti frame they had on order will not be ready til October.

Last edited:

FBHO

Chimp
Mar 16, 2013
yep. i honestly feel sort of out of place going into local bike shops and looking at the tag and seeing retail... its just weird.

i also find humor in the fact that some riders really are oblivious to this and still go into mikes bikes (my lbs) and pay full pop.. one time i paid 8.50 for a spesh tube there (only place i could get a tube at the time), i felt like a sucker for sure.:p
You should see how I feel at resorts (N*)...9 flats at $8.50 a tube.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
hot damn.. i can see it being expensive there tho, its a bike resort.

id say somewhat comparable as buying food from a movie theater.

i need to stop slackin and just buy bulk (tubes) online! cheeeeeeeeeep

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I got a demo 8 1 this year for a good deal and I'm psyched on it. Changed the bars, stem & brakes and its good to go. Was going to swap out the fork cart, but I'm perfectly happy on the RC with the correct spring rate for now. We'll see once I start riding it more outside of the steep sloppy trails.

Was really leaning towards the budget Sunday, but the demo won over with a fresh parts kit. I think new, even if not top top end parts, can have its merits over used with an unkown history.
I like peace of mind knowing what kind of hack riding it has endured ;)

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I know that. He said "best bang for the buck complete" not "best bang for the buck NEW complete." Just suggesting to comb through the classifieds on PB and ebay, you could spend 2k and a lightly used bike that will be more than enough for 98% of us and use the 4k you saved on an entire season of riding/racing with money to spare for hookers and blow!
I hear ya! Perfect example is the two TR450's in my garage, they are both 2012 model year bikes, I bought one brand new a year ago, and for half price my fiance' bought herself the other one over the winter....Same build spec (mostly)

We did upgrade her fork the same as my upgrade, so that added some $$, but technically we already had the fox 40 for her bike and were able to sell the boxxer, so its pretty much a wash.

I sold my bighit III for $1000. I bought it two or three years ago used for $1200. Gradually upgraded it, then sold it back in stock form.

If I hadn't gotten a nice "bonus" check for getting fired the day before I was going to put in my two week notice, I would have never justified a new bike.

Not sure if the OP is considering used but a buddy of mine just bought a clean demo bike from Winterpark. Its last years Specialized Status and they appeared to have gone over it and tweaked it for resale. It was about $1200 complete. Thats alot of bang for the buck IMO .
Sure it probably needs a fork rebuild(what used DH bike doesn't) and tires but actually its not beat to hell and looks good.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Speaking of demo's.

There is a brand new, unridden, demo 7 near my house. I think they want $1600.

Sure, its a slightly older bike, but pretty good bang for the buck.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Your build inspired mine. I'm gonna post up a build thread when I get a chance.
Can't wait to see it! I love it when people breathe new life into cheap stuff.

Again, you aren't talking about a new bike like the OP was. You're talking about an older used frame.

What/where are you getting a brand new 888 and wheels, and brakes for less than $800?
Got my 888cr for 500. Ringle hub for 80. New spokes for around 30. Used Hadley hub, used outdated velocity rims. See the thread for more infos.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Specialized status is one of the best bang for the buck bikes out there. Guerrilla Gravity has some neat complete bikes too. Their 888 CR setup is "only" 4gs.

You gotta laugh when somebody puts "bang for your buck" and $6600 in the same sentence.
Thanks for the mention. The GG complete builds are also customizable, as people have their preferences (Sram vs Shimano, etc)

The Race 2 build (with the 888CR) is actually 3855, so a chunk of change under 4g's.

Build Kits for the GG/DH frame