Quantcast

Best bang for your buck FS XC?

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
Whats your opinion and why. I want a full report on my desk by tuesday.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well depends...

but for entry level, my shop has killer deals on Trek Remedy 5's

$1000 new.

01tj

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
Fairmont WV
I'm in the Specalized camp. FSRxc is a very nice bike.

What price range are you looking at?

A recent issue of Mountain Bike Action did a test on 1500 FS trail bikes. The Specalized FSR Comp placed second but they said it was probubly the most race worthy of the group. Gary Fisher placed first and Gaint third but all three recieved praise. Trek came in last and they really didn't have anything good to say about it.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
I have that issue, it was great. I read it the week AFTER I bought my bike, I was just lucky! I picked up mine for $1400, all stock components. I did throw some SPDs on there and when I get back from Iraq I’ll probably trick it out some more. It is a great bike and I’ll agree with the article. Its fast and the tires stick like glue!

Awesome bike.

jd9483

Chimp
Oct 5, 2007
how about a Giant? the anthem2 for 1900, and trance 2 for like 1200. I havent ridden either, just throwing it out there. The trance x looks pretty sweet too, but has more travel then you might want.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
I second the superlight.I have one and it is great.You could do a heckler also.You can find the frames and various parts for around $500 and mine is just over 26 pounds.Great for xc or agro xc.

gray bishop

Chimp
Oct 6, 2007
Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Both excellent bikes, but certainly not budget oriented by any stretch, and both are way too 'big' (travel wise) to be considered XC.

Used superlight is a hell of a good call.
forgive me for reading the title of the thread then the actual text in the thread which if I'm not mistaken said nothing more than I expect a report by................

best bang for the buck can mean anything, doesn't have to mean cheap

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
best bang for the buck can mean anything, doesn't have to mean cheap
Yes, it can. I have a 575, and while it's it in deed a hell of a bike, I highly doubt it's twice as good as an $1800 offering from Giant, Kona, Specialized, Jamis, etc.

Bang for the buck means value for money spent. IME, you get into some serious diminishing returns once you break the $2500 price point.

jd9483

Chimp
Oct 5, 2007
according to giant, the next best mtb suspension system is on iron horse. i believe its just some standard suspension design, but pretty nice.

mtbiker219

Chimp
Dec 3, 2007
Ashburnham
Either a Specialized FSRxc or Stumpjumper depending on the price range you are looking. The FSRxc's have 4" travel and range from 1300-about 2000 and the Stumpy's have 5" and are 2200 and up

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
I picked up a heckler off ebay for 1900 bucks. Fox talas fork,dhx 5.0rear, hussefelt cranks, pretty nice set-up. Thanks for everyones opinion. Whats going on with mountain cycle? Are they still in business?

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
I third Jamis.

That said.....there are lots of good brands out there. The most bang for the buck for a new bike is most often the bike you can get the best deal on. Ask you LBS if they or their distributers have last year's model at a good price. Sometimes last year's model has better components than this year's.