Quantcast

Best Behavior at Skeggs

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It was such a nice day out at Skeggs this weekend, I chose to behave myself and keep my mouth shut.

So while we stopped to chat with another rider, 2 ladies head down Resolution. I figured I would give them some time, but then 7 more people arrive, a hardtail crowd, so I head down. Of course, I catch the ladies on a very technical section, which they were pushing over, and I unwisely do not ask to pass, and apparently they rather have someone on their rear wheel for a half mile than pull over.

Later, I was headed down Manzanita, and 2 dudes are pushing their bikes up the most technical part. I also kept my mouth shut there.

I remember what my friend Amy once said to someone pushing their bike up Mr. Toad's. She mentioned how this should be ridden downhill, and the guy responds snidely how he likes to climb. Amy replies, "You're not climbing. You're pushing your bike."

I believe more people than usual were out at Skeggs on the Saturday before the SB, so I rather have been inconvenienced than made a big ruckus. But this is a follow-up to the Santa Cruz thread, and I guess OG is right: I yield to faster riders because I expect the same.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I went with someone I hadn't ridden with before, so I figure I should be nice...

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I believe more people than usual were out at Skeggs on the Saturday before the SB, so I rather have been inconvenienced than made a big ruckus. But this is a follow-up to the Santa Cruz thread, and I guess OG is right: I yield to faster riders because I expect the same.
It was very crowded on Saturday, more than usual. I think that weather conditions had something to do with that. Also, the fact that North Leaf and Methuselah are closed bunches up all the riders creating more congestion. There was a group ride from Passion that had 20 people and they were climbing UP manzanita which I'm sure created a huge traffic jam on that trail, especially if you were descending. Luckily I was able to ride down Manzanita before they got there. This is the reason I start my rides at Skeggs by 9 a.m., usually 8 a.m. during the summer. That way I have most of the trails to myself and don't have to worry about people riding UP Resolution or Manzanita.

Back to your point, if I have to PUSH my bike up a trail then I yield to a rider coming down. Also, if someone is desceding faster than I am I let them pass.

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
I was having a similar discussion with a couple at wilder this weekend. I think that they should post trail edicate (sp?) at the trailhead, but i doubt it would help.
JP