Quantcast

Best Bike for Downieville?

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I may be going to Downieville this Sunday for my first time. I am really excited to say the least.

Here's my question. I have two bikes to choose from and want your opinion of which will be best for riding Butcher Creek Downhill. I have a Foes FXR with 5.75" rear travel via a Curnutt shock and about 5.75 in the front with a Pike Team.

My other choice is a SC Bullit with 7" rear (5th Element) and either 8" front with an 888 or 7" in the front with a 2004 Super T.

What's the best set up from these choices?

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
lonewolfe said:
I may be going to Downieville this Sunday for my first time. I am really excited to say the least.

Here's my question. I have two bikes to choose from and want your opinion of which will be best for riding Butcher Creek Downhill. I have a Foes FXR with 5.75" rear travel via a Curnutt shock and about 5.75 in the front with a Pike Team.

My other choice is a SC Bullit with 7" rear (5th Element) and either 8" front with an 888 or 7" in the front with a 2004 Super T.

What's the best set up from these choices?
When I first built my Fly up last year, I took it up there for some runs. It was fun but sucked in the climbing portions as well as the extended pedaling sections at the end. It was more enjoyable riding my Heckler.

Either way, you should be fine. Just my two cents.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, if this any indicator, Yuba builds their VP-Free's (8 inches) with Fox 36's (6 inches). They mentioned that last year's build with 888's had complaints about tight cornering around switchbacks (although I didn't have any problems with my 888).

This year, Yuba is renting a lot of Blur LT's and, when they arrive, the Nomad. A midrange travel bike is best with all the climbing. There is some mildly hairy stuff up at Butcher Ranch, and it is fun to hit some of the berms on 3rd Divide with a lot of speed. But if you can handle yourself with less travel, a 5-6 inch bike is more than doable.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've been to Downieville 3 times, 2 times on DH bikes and once on a trail bike. The trail bike makes the ride as a whole easier, but damn a DH bike is fun stuff on the high speed sections! You can't go wrong, but a trailbike is probably a better choice

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Well, I did get to go last Sunday and it was incredible. I can't wait to go up there again. I ended up taking the Bullit which was really nice in the top portion and the fast downhills. It did suck pushing it up those uphill sections though. Unfortunately, I went down pretty hard on 3rd divide and did the rag doll routine for 20' for so. Got to love armour but I managed to pull some catilage and ligaments in my ankle and am in a walking cast now. I finished the ride though! I'll be back next month for sure!

I would like to try it on my Foes FXR. The Foes is an awesome bike but not very plush on the small stuff although it soaks up big hits like they don't exist. It would definitely be less tiring with the Foes but more of a technical ride than the Bullit as I could just plow through everything on my Bullit combined with an 8" 888.

Here's a picture of me and my buddy Phil up on the top of Packers Saddle. I'm on the left. Got to love the Sierra's

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Lonewolfe, I saw you up there! I remember you and your buddy were in front of the pizza place after the ride. Good times, I took the big bike as well. Sorry to hear about the tissue damage, that always sucks

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been going for years, and have ridden everything from hardtail XC to DH bikes. The regular shuttle run (Packer Saddle, Butcher Ranch, Divide, etc.) is a mix of fast stuff, tight corners, and flat/rolling stuff where you need to pedal. IMO there is not much super burly stuff that really cries out for a DH rig. There is also a climb somewhere in the middle to 2/3 down, it's not bad but you will suffer on a big bike. So it's a tough call. I'll be riding the downhill race this year on a heckler with a 6" manitou sherman and DH tires. The new Nomad is probably perfect but that's not on your list. The bullit with 7" fork is probably more than you will want or need but for your first time there (and assuming you won't be in a hurry to get up that hill) it's probably a good call if you are not used to doing gravity runs. The FXR will probably be faster overall but less fun for the really fast sections. Either way bring some beefy tires.

I know its late, but I'll put in my .02. Bring a xc/trail bike. People tend to forget that they is more than just the downhill. If you only have a big bike, you limit yourself to that one ride. Why would you do that with so many great xc trails in the area? Spend a day and do the downhill once or twice, then ask the guys at yuba for some other good trails. Last time I went I only did the dh, but that is going to change with the years trip.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Zark said:
Lonewolfe, I saw you up there! I remember you and your buddy were in front of the pizza place after the ride. Good times, I took the big bike as well. Sorry to hear about the tissue damage, that always sucks

Any of you see a older dude with a beard on a devinci?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
You talking about George, I think that's his name. Him and his wife are at N* all the time. He crashed and got a pretty bad concussion last seaons. Is this the guy?