Quantcast

best bike for me?

reichard117

Chimp
Oct 18, 2011
Im riding a road bike right now but im gonna get into mountain bike, free ride, single track and everything.. i want more than minimal suspension but i dont want a full DH bike. my budget will be set around $1500 or so
now should i buy a complete bike, check out the classifieds for used, or build a bike over a little time with parts from here and there? your opinions on brands will help too since i new to the suspension scene
any help you guys have will be appreciated
thanks,
jesse

Trek Remedy, Fuel EX, or Slash. Specialized Enduro. Yeti 575. Giant Trance X. Commencal Meta AM.

And Santa Cruz makes like 6 different models that sound like good bikes for you, look them up too.

Commencal Meta AM, they look awesome, but they're pretty expensive and pretty hard to get a hold of one I think. Haven't ever ridden one, just know of them.

The Trek Fuel EX is another "all-mountain" bike, with a slightly more cross-country feel to it that the Trek Slash and Trek Remedy. All pretty good bikes though.

The Specialized Enduro, Yeti 575, and Giant Trace X, are all very similar, all really well rounded bikes. I'd say get one of these if you can afford it, and remember to always look used(craigslist, etc.) They all pedal really nice, but also descend really nice. Can't go wrong with these. I'd go for the Yeti 575 personally.

Hope this helps, if you've got any questions just reply back or PM me.

Also, I'd say you should move this to "the lounge" or some other forum more general, putting it in the "Freeride" forum make it sound like you only want FR style bikes, which is pretty close to a full on DH bike, which I love, but they aren't prefect for the kind of riding it sounds like you wanna do.

reichard117

Chimp
Oct 18, 2011
i do want it to be close to a FR bike.. after doing some research i wouldnt mind a near DH bike.. i just dont wanna pay the DH price.. but if i can find a FR near my price range that would be good for me.
i race dirt bikes so im gonna be jumping it off the biggest things i can find but i still wanna be able to cruise around on if FR bikes are alright for that then that is what ill buy

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Maybe you could take a look at the Ragley G6. 160mm in the front with 130 in the rear. Looks like it will have a solid pedaling and a pretty decent huck capacity...

Santa Cruz has the Butcher and the Nomad in the same rage you are looking at. But they are pricy. And Banshee offers the Rune.

As you can see, I'm leading your to the range of decent pedaling bikes. Maybe they aren't burly enough to handle your riding style, so you could include the Transition Blindside/Bottlerocket in your scope.

reichard117

Chimp
Oct 18, 2011
alot of these look good.. im diggin the transition bikes..
anyone else have ideas? would building a bike out of used parts be practical?

Yeah I was going for a lighter type of riding that free-ride or DH. But free-ride and DH bikes are very similar. If you actually do want a bike for a heavy type of riding then:

A Specialized BigHit, Status, SX trail, or maybe even a single crown Demo, like somebody above me suggested.

Banshee Wildcard, Rune or Scythe.

Or in my opinion your best bet; A Giant Faith.

Just depends on how much pedaling and trail riding you plan on doing, or how much downhill type riding your gonna do, what kind of geo you like. I have an older bike by Giant very similar to the Faith, and I love it, it pedals like an elephant, but its so much fun to ride it's worth it.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
For your price range, def look for a decent complete bike in the classifieds. There are new bike that come real close to your price range that are decent enough, but $1500 goes alot further for quality components on the used market.

Brands matter less then suspension design. Specialized uses a proven horst link design that works very well, they make VPP bikes as well(prob out of your price range, and if it is in your price range its an older bike), for the most part the rest of the suspension designs out there are single pivot or glorified single pivot(the act similar enough).

To keep things simple though, just look for typical "name brand" builds in your price range, you will narrow it down from personal preferance on stupid **** anyways(ex:color). $1500 is pretty cheap for decent "newer" rig of the caliber you are looking at so remember that.

I wouldnt scratch together a build, in the end you usually end up spending alot more and you get the added benefit of less riding time.

Edit, if his story is true, something i would consider if it was the right size. http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-19614/

Last edited:

reichard117

Chimp
Oct 18, 2011
I guess I should mention I am 6' and in western PA
thanks SWINE..
ill be looking on my craigslist and some more active forums ha

Yeah craigslist is your friend.

If you like transition, get the TR250 is my recommendation if you can find one in your price. Unless you're feeling the TR450 and can find a good deal.

And I gotta throw in a word for Specialized Demo 8, and you can find a used one pretty easy.

And the brand intense cycles. That'll be hard to find cheap or used, but they're great.

Those are all for DH/FR riding.