Quantcast

Best bike in the 2-3k range

PRODIJ

Chimp
Jan 6, 2011
so Im buying my first DH bike. Which one do you recomend?

also I dont live in the states does it make sense to ship the bike unarmed in a box? cost wise

any help is greatly apreciated.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
You can find pretty good used bikes in that price range that are in good condition. Thats what i would recommend for your first DH bike. used specialized demo 8

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Get a nice used Glory or a Sunday...those are both great bikes and parts should be available from Giant, which is everywhere in the world, as well as the Sunday, which are available from a few places. You won't get a cheaper high end frame than the Sunday...but you get no "factory" support so that can be a challenge.

If you're buying new....I don't recommend it until you have plenty of cash to throw around.

As for shipping, I guess the cost of frame only vs. complete bike overseas is not that much....you'll pay out the rear either way.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Where do you live exactly? If in europe and prefer new over used maybe get that canyon bike for 2k euro and put cc headset inside for better geo.

PRODIJ

Chimp
Jan 6, 2011
so just to be sure what size should I get for a demo 2010 or 2011 a small?

I cant test them

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
depends a lot on where are you. shipping bikes from the states is a pain in the ass. should cost about $300-$400 after everything is said and done. import duties and air freight will chomp away your budget.

for $2500 in peru, after 19% sales tax, you can get a scott voltage fr30, which i own, it absolutely rules its pricepoint.

since you are starting, nothing beats experience.
go to a bike shop, test as many bikes as you can. borrow some if you can.... then buy something new. lbs support and advice, warranty and fit rule everything else when it comes to starting bikes, IMO

once you have some experience with riding different bikes, and define your style and preferences... then you could move on to buying bikes sight unseen, based on geometry charts and the like....
if you are starting, you wont notice, if timed, the difference between 165mm or 170mm cranks, or a boxxer team VS a world cup (not sure 95% of mtbriders would neither)... so no point in making things like that a priority over proper fit and local warranty and support.

Last edited:

PRODIJ

Chimp
Jan 6, 2011
Since you live in columbia and parts/support may be hard to come by i would look for a clean and used single pivot bike .
You should probably tell us what bikes you have owned so far and do you plan on pedaling this bike around much?
Be honest:D
on sundays probably.. I already, found 3 DH trails :), I wouldt dare to take the bike for casual riding! I dont want to be killed for a bike! :think: ****ing colombians :rofl:

yes I guess the best is too buy a used locally for now.. shiping internationally a bike must be a pain in the ass

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A medium will be perfect for 5'7" I would also highly recommend the 2010 Giant Glory. I loved mine.
1.76m = 5.7 feet != 5'7".

He is really about 5'9". Medium would work well IMO at that height. Not sure why there is discussion of XS bikes...

PRODIJ

Chimp
Jan 6, 2011
Since you live in Columbia, I would try to find a bike that has a
white powdercoat or either a bike that is all murdered out. ;)
lol. The funny thing is they already tried that!! although it was packed inside the frame :eek:

This country really have a fame ah?, But seriously I dont care I find it funny..

Last edited: